Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,791,313 times

Advertisements

I would keep in eye on Texrail in Fort Worth. It’s already looking to expand and it’s going expand(Medical District, TCU/Berry Street, Hulen/Granbury and Summer Creek)where the people are. In its first month it had 98,582 rides. Service was free at that time and I suspect a drop in ridership did occur because it’s not free anymore.
https://www.tcu360.com/2019/03/texra...tive-response/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,095,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas should have invested heavily in rail in its city limits before it suburbs. Rail needs to be where the people are. I think the idea of building rail and waiting for areas to develop around it is not smart because in the end your losing more money by being cheap.
Not only that but it also helps to fuel the anti-transit types, some of which are vocally present on the Dallas CD forum (e.g. "90% of growth outside DART regions! See it's a failure! More highways!"). I do think the future of DART is brighter now than at any point in its entire history. We finally have people on board that know what they're doing.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:14 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,791,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Not only that but it also helps to fuel the anti-transit types, some of which are vocally present on the Dallas CD forum (e.g. "90% of growth outside DART regions! See it's a failure! More highways!"). I do think the future of DART is brighter now than at any point in its entire history. We finally have people on board that know what they're doing.
I agree. The planned downtown Dallas subway will definetly be a game changer.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:55 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,960,668 times
I'm in Houston. Our roads are VERY full and getting worse. Construction is happening due to the congestion and it's SO bad. US 290 has taken 7 years and it's still being worked on

Transplants cannot drive. Worst offenders? Newly moved NJ people. They're the worst texters and slowest drivers because they're texting and not using blinkers. I know it's them. Can't miss that ugly yellow license plate on freeways all in the left lane, going 55 while texting while 500 other cars can't get around them.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:47 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,250,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I'm in Houston. Our roads are VERY full and getting worse. Construction is happening due to the congestion and it's SO bad. US 290 has taken 7 years and it's still being worked on

Transplants cannot drive. Worst offenders? Newly moved NJ people. They're the worst texters and slowest drivers because they're texting and not using blinkers. I know it's them. Can't miss that ugly yellow license plate on freeways all in the left lane, going 55 while texting while 500 other cars can't get around them.
I guess our largest export must be those drivers, since I rarely witness that in the actual state of NJ. NJ is known for aggressive drivers and road rage, not so much slow driving.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 AM

2,251 posts, read 2,366,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
These studies, or rather the interpretation of them, is faulty at best. I don’t see how measuring average hours or money spent in traffic leads to the “most congested” title. There are so many factors that need to be taken into consideration. Lazy study.

A proper study would be one that measures the amount of time traffic flows at less than, say, 20 mph, on the greatest percentage of metro highways. That requires a ton of legwork and money but until a proper study is done, I usually dismiss ones like above.

There is no way DC traffic even comes close to what’s experienced daily in LA. Anecdotal, of course, but having lived in both areas, they aren’t on the same level.
I mean, not really. Roads and driving are the primary source people use to get from one place to the next, if a city or an area is even somewhat close to being full IMO these studies would give an indication. The fact that Dallas and Houston aren’t on here to me says the roads are super congested I’m sure but not anything near NYC, Boston, LA, DC levels therefore it’s not full.

Atlanta maybe another story since it seems to make the list sporadically.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:34 AM

264 posts, read 244,890 times
Texans are probably one of the worst drivers, transplant or not I'll group them together. I think the combination of congestion and road layout PROMOTES risky driving maneuvers and therefore more accidents. A good are non-traffic light regulated left turns onto Highway 6 where it is 4+ lanes each way. Lack of dedicated turn lanes is also a problem because instead you have these small gaps in the median. It's just a never-ending snowballing of congestion.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,926,900 times
I think it's a myth that DFW traffic is not as bad as Houston traffic. It's gotten considerably worse with all of the domestic migrants moving there and the location of the high-paying jobs being spread out among the northern suburbs is creating spread out traffic chokepoints. The good thing is that if you're south of I-30, and don't have to travel north for work, then you're going to have a much quicker commute.

I took these screen shots a a few minutes apart apart on the same day last week. Small sample, but it's what I've noticed after living/spending time in both areas. Houston traffic is generally heavier earlier, but clears quicker. In addition, you know the flow of traffic since the majority are traveling in the same direction. The east side is pretty clear of all traffic. In contrast, DFW traffic is not has heavy earlier on like in Houston, but it lingers a bit longer. In addition, all freeways heading north are jammed, and once you get north, those freeways are jammed both ways. There's less uniformity in the DFW traffic.

In the end, it's splitting hairs as it's mostly the same since they're of similar size.

Edit: By the way, I'm on the west coast so add 2 hours to the time you see.

Last edited by DabOnEm; 04-22-2019 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 11:18 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,856,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I guess our largest export must be those drivers, since I rarely witness that in the actual state of NJ. NJ is known for aggressive drivers and road rage, not so much slow driving.
Same. Whenever I see that yellow license plate they are normally petal to the metal in a BMW of some sort. My kind of drivers!

Old 04-26-2019, 10:20 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,203,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

There is no way DC traffic even comes close to what’s experienced daily in LA. Anecdotal, of course, but having lived in both areas, they aren’t on the same level.
I've lived in both and they're both very bad, just in different ways. Unlike LA, DC has very few alternatives to its arterials and has more physical barriers (the rivers) combined with wealthy NIMBYs who don't want any additional roads or freeways in their areas and its a disaster. DC is also a major chokepoint on the Eastern Seaboard due to a lack of alternative routes, so the NE Corridor-Florida traffic is funneled through here along with the local traffic. I-95 in Northern VA could go toe-to-toe with the 405 or the 101 any day in terms of volume and congestion. Also factor in lots of transplants from different places who have their own driving quirks also live here, so that is an issue too. Maryland drivers tend to be the fastest and rudest, Virginians drive as if cops are everywhere, and DC drivers drive as if traffic cameras are all over the place. All bad in their own way.

To me, LA was bad due to the sheer volume of cars/people and the geographic constraints (ocean and mountain passes), but Angelenos have better road manners than Washingtonians (there seems to be a combination of the more laid-back West Coast vibe plus a "we're all stuck in traffic, so no need to get too pressed" feel unlike the Type-A, self-important nature of Washingtonians), plus there are plenty of alternative arterial routes in the LA Basin and the SF Valley. It's pretty easy to find alternatives if the 405 on the Westside is at a crawl. I learned to love Sepulveda Blvd quick, fast and in a hurry. Don't get me wrong, the arterials could get pretty bad, but at least you have options. The only advantage DC seems to have over LA is that because its a company town for the most part, its rush hours/peak periods seem to be more consistent than LA (people working more traditional hours), where people working multiple shifts create multiple rush hours through the day and sometimes into the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.