Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 03:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Wow I didn't know that about LA. I did know about Denver. The eastern part of Colorado was probably the most depressing drive I've had in my life.

This isn't really about a stereotype but there seem to be a good number of transplants who move to Greenville SC because they think it is some kind of utopia because they like its downtown area.

They'll complain after moving to Greenville about areas with poverty and rundown areas and traffic as though those things don't exist in every metro.
Every been to eastern Wyoming or Montana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 03:43 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I agree regarding Greenville. The downtown area and core are great. However, not even a 10 minute drive away you feel like you're in a different area, one that is rundown and could be described as backwater and trashy.

Can you name any city without poor areas.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Texans don't generally ride horses to work or school. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Most of us aren't cowboys or cowgirls.

However, every Texan that has ever attended public schools that I know of did learn how to do the Cotton Eyed Joe in school. I went to elementary school on the east coast - we learned square dancing.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
What are some stereotypes or images of cities or states that either you or transplants have held and then been disappointed to find out aren't true upon visiting or moving?
There are no large mountains close to Roswell, NM and no aliens.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
L.A. and beaches. The water is cold-ish and the beaches aren’t that inviting (watch for the tar). Many locals rarely go and even more rarely actually swim.

L.A. and sunshine. A visit during june gloom/may gray will disappoint. Low 60s and overcast isnt what they show on TV.
Yes LA is terrible & so are the beaches. I rather have east coast beaches like LI & Jersey shore ANY DAY!

Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Same for LA. People think they'll live in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills. Reality is they probably won't afford it. And they also think they'll be at the beach every weekend, unless they're hiking every weekend, without realizing that unless you live within walking/biking distance of the beach, you're rarely going because of traffic and parking costs. And the temperatures at the beach are rarely warm enough for swimming because 75 or below is still not great summer beach weather IMO and then the water temperature is freezing and rarely over 68. Then in winter, there are warnings to not swim during storms because fecal matter gets in the current and you can get Hepatitis. And hiking isn't so easy either when you consider the traffic to the hiking parking lots and that hike is going to be full of other people so it's barely an escape into nature like people think it will be. Then you think you'll party like a rockstar all over town till you realize everything takes an hour to get to and unless you come from a small town with lackluster nightlife, LA's 2am last call really isn't so cool. And your apartment is going to be a dump from the 1970s with no A/C.

At least when people move to NYC they know the streets smell in summer, rats are to be found, subways are delayed, stations are hot and sweaty, slush puddles will ruin your favorite boots in winter, etc. People tend to know all the bad about NYC and seem more prepared for it, whereas LA conjures images of an actual paradise on earth where everyone lives in Spanish style homes with manicured lawns and tans at the beach every weekend while dining on vegan salads next to celebrities at The Ivy.
NYC keeps it real. We got rats & filth. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone lol.

Real NYers take the good with the bad.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:00 PM

The biggest stereotypes i find is ppl thinking NYers are rude.

Nah we’re not rude, we’re usually just on the way to work ... & in a fast-paced city, albeit exciting!, we dont always have the time to chat.

Hearts of gold though ... NYers are big old teddy bears

Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
NY’ers are direct and speak their mind....I often find many who accuse others of being rude don’t have the foggiest notion of what the word means and are often rude themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The biggest stereotypes i find is ppl thinking NYers are rude.

Nah we’re not rude, we’re usually just on the way to work ... & in a fast-paced city, albeit exciting!, we dont always have the time to chat.

Hearts of gold though ... NYers are big old teddy bears

Old 04-23-2019, 07:47 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
NY’ers are direct and speak their mind....I often find many who accuse others of being rude don’t have the foggiest notion of what the word means and are often rude themselves.
Even though I lived a good portion of my life in the Southern US and the West Coast, I almost always get along with New Yorkers because I immediately know where I stand with them from the get go. I found it to be a lot easier to deal with them than the average passive aggressive Southerner or Californian. I'm also very impatient, sarcastic and relatively direct, so we speak the same "language". My southern friends here in DC who put up with me don't know what to make of me half the time while my NY and Philly native friends are more um, understanding. LOL...

Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Haha spot on with Colorado. I don't think non C-D people realize that CO is that dry, everyone actually lives on the front range, and the Rockies are a whole different animal geologically and botanically than the Alps, Cascades, or Sierras.

A lot of the stereotypes are true about Denver, the Subarus, weed heads (4/20 just reaffirmed this again...), tech bros, oil and gas cowboys... I think culturally the city is portrayed fairly accurately.

Colorado Springs has this image that it's the mecca of evangelical Christianity, but I think that image is outdated now. Pueblo and Southern CO is culturally and economically a different animal; it really feels like a different state. Northern CO people have this stigma that Pueblo's like a 3rd world country, and I think it's off the radar for a lot of the rest of the country cause there's no nearby airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Every been to eastern Wyoming or Montana?
Eastern WY has the black hills and the Laramie range and Devils tower and Eastern Montana has a bunch of badlands and a big reservoir. I've tried to find things to explore in eastern CO and I really can't find much besides cool shooting ranges and race tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.