Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Have heard this one everywhere I've lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep that one and "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change."
Very common here in CO and also in Pennsylvania where I grew up. Not so much in Champaign IL where the weather basically sucked 365 days a year. Hot hot summers, cold winters, virtually no spring or fall. Daily forecast in the summer: Hazy, hot and humid, highs in the upper 80s/low 90s, 25% chance of rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 PM

83 posts, read 71,044 times
Because the weather is much better in the US than in cold foggy rainy Britain.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,085,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
I don't know if this has been talked about already on here but in the UK, the weather is normally a good starter for small talk. However, I've heard that (not too generalise too much) the weather isn't really talked about too much in the US as much as in the UK. If this is the case I find it quite odd because the climate in the UK is quite mild compared to the US. Also, a lot of the US sees much more extremes in temperature and weather compared to Britain.
Apparently you've never had a conversation with a Minnesotan.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:34 AM

376 posts, read 240,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
A lot of the UK is actually quite dry compared to the US, for example, New York gets twice the amount of rain as London. Also, it's hardly foggy here that's just a stereotype. I really don't like my climate but its not cold foggy and rainy all the time...

Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 AM

10,500 posts, read 7,023,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post

You're out of your mind. My brother-in-law is from Manchester. His favorite observation about the United States? "I never understood American's obsession with weather until a tornado hit down the street from my apartment. In England our weather isn't lethal."

Old 04-25-2019, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You're out of your mind. My brother-in-law is from Manchester. His favorite observation about the United States? "I never understood American's obsession with weather until a tornado hit down the street from my apartment. In England our weather isn't lethal."
My brother's comment after visiting England: "You can see why an Englishman wrote a song called 'Here Comes the Sun' ".

Old 04-25-2019, 10:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 10,716,913 times
By the time you say something about the weather it has changed.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:31 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,009,818 times
The next American tourist you meet, ask them where they live and what they do for a living. If close to a large metro area and white collar, the weather would probably not affect their daily lives.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:03 AM

27,520 posts, read 28,613,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
I don't know if this has been talked about already on here but in the UK, the weather is normally a good starter for small talk. However, I've heard that (not too generalise too much) the weather isn't really talked about too much in the US as much as in the UK. If this is the case I find it quite odd because the climate in the UK is quite mild compared to the US. Also, a lot of the US sees much more extremes in temperature and weather compared to Britain.
The weather that is happening right here right now is rather obvious to everybody. In that sense, it is kind of redundant to talk about much in a conversation.

Unless it is highly unusual, like a tornado warning or something.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 AM

27,520 posts, read 28,613,393 times
Also, I went to London and noticed that people are outside and children are playing even when it’s cold and rainy.

That is not typical in the United States. People prefer to be indoors in that kind of weather. Maybe the PNW is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.