Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 11:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

The Big Easy - I don't know, much as I wanted to like this movie, and my cousin was even in it, it just didn't feel like New Orleans to me at all. But I'm more of a grubby New Orleans person. LOL

Not sure if these have been mentioned but I think they capture the feel of their cities well:

In Bruges - OK, not set in the US but it really captures the feel of contemporary living in the ancient city of Bruges, Belgium.

The Departed - wow, what a snapshot of the working class elements of Boston.

Leaving Las Vegas - one of my all time favorite movies.

Hard Eight - another movie about the underside of gambling in Las Vegas.

Slacker - filmed in 1991 before Austin was truly hip and cool and all that, it captures an Austin that is now gone forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 11:31 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't remember who recommended the series Treme to me - about New Orleans post Katrina but WOW, thank you so much! What a great series so far, so well done and it really really captures the feel of the "real" New Orleans (not Bourbon Street), which is also what I like about Love Song for Bobby Long. Apparently there are several seasons and I'm only on Episode 3 of Season 1 so yeah, I've got a lot of wallowing around in New Orleans to do!
I did, dear. You're so welcome; I knew you would 'get it'.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I did, dear. You're so welcome; I knew you would 'get it'.

Oh thank you and yes, I do get it! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. And it is very well done. And another thing I like about it is that each episode is nice and long and meaty. I loved the series "Fleabag" but I felt like each episode was so short that it was just over nearly as soon as it began. Same with Catastrophe, another series that I really like, that seems to capture middle class life in London well. I don't know - I've never lived a middle class life in London but it SEEMS to capture that vibe.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:16 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
I think Beverly Hills cop. Nothing say America than cops.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:58 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Indie noir flick Buffalo '66 couldn't have done a much better job capturing/portraying the depressing vibes of Buffalo, NY.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:51 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Indie noir flick Buffalo '66 couldn't have done a much better job capturing/portraying the depressing vibes of Buffalo, NY.
I thought that film was very effective at capturing a melancholic mood.

The Squid and the Whale has some very nice shots around Park Slope Brooklyn.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:43 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I thought that film was very effective at capturing a melancholic mood.

The Squid and the Whale has some very nice shots around Park Slope Brooklyn.
Caught part of The Squid and the Whale a few years ago...was up my alley as well (not that it was necessarily clear from my prior post that I'm a big fan of Buffalo '66, but, I am)

Old 05-27-2019, 01:14 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Caught part of The Squid and the Whale a few years ago...was up my alley as well (not that it was necessarily clear from my prior post that I'm a big fan of Buffalo '66, but, I am)
If Christina Ricci has anything to do with your Buffalo 66 fandom, I might also recommend The Ice Storm, which was filmed and set in New Canaan CT.

Ang Lee shoots the film with an amazing eye. Never been to New Cannan, but it looks cool in the movie.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Flashdance for Pittsburgh.

It came out in the waning days of Pittsburgh's reign as a corporate HQ behemoth.

Perfectly captures the juxtaposition of Western Pennsylvania grit and grime with the high culture of Pittsburgh's institutions.

As far as Los Angeles-there is a great documentary called "Los Angeles Plays Itself" in which the central thesis of the film is how films can't get L.A. right in their attempts to portray it. I agree with this thesis. The genre that comes the closest is crime drama, IMO. "Heat", "Drive", "To live and die in LA" among others come to mind. Crime films just seem to capture the scope of the city more any other genre.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:46 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The 6th Sense captures a nice essence of Philadelphia as does the movie "Philadelphia" (Tom Hanks & Denzel).

New York could literally be any movie. I always thought Crocodile Dundee was spot on with 1980s Manhattan.
Yes. So many movies were spot on 80s Manhattan. In addition to Crocodile Dundee, off the top of my head:

Big Business
Desperately Seeking Susan
The Butcher’s Wife (more late 80s/early 90s)
Etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.