Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 03:37 PM

23,314 posts, read 43,771,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Preach it! I don't understand why so many people flock there.
To White Trash, it's Mecca and Lourdes rolled into one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 04:08 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

Preach it! I don't understand why so many people flock there.
Thankfully we were only planning on staying there one night on a trip to the Appalachians, so we just got the hellouttadodge and went on to Cade's Cove and ziplining and Cherokee, NC - I don't even remember where we stayed but we had a good time - AWAY from both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

See, I visited both places when I was a kid and so I had this 40 year old memory - wow, all I can say is that things have definitely changed, and not for the better.

But then, I haven't changed for the better either, so there's that.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:19 PM

15,958 posts, read 20,916,161 times
People around here are big on Pigeon Forge/Gatlingburg/Dollywood, so I finally went to Gatlinburg with my kids a few years ago to see what all the fuss was about. Man the traffic was insane, the town itself was nothing but overpriced food places and tourist shops. I will say it's a good place to go if you want to buy some unique gifts (loved some of the kitchen gadgets and specialty sauces), and there were some very nice hiking trails we went on, but as a vacation destination, not my idea of a great time.

Kitsch, maybe Holland MI? I love going there because it's fun and nostalgic for me, but if you go as a tourist you simply can't leave without buying some sort of clogs or a dutch cap as a souvenir.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:57 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,213,544 times
Pidgeon Forge, TN

Old 05-11-2019, 05:14 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,638,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
It's the places like Branson, Pigeon Forge, etc...that are smaller places, but the kitsch factor is suuuuuper over bearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG, Pigeon Forge - AUGH.

One of the very few times my husband and I actually forfeited our reservation (and money) at a hotel after we arrived. Life's too short to spend even a day in Pigeon Forge, let alone a night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Pidgeon Forge, TN
My guy has a fascination with Dolly Parton. I mean who doesn't love Dolly? In fact I consider hating on Dolly a serious character flaw and a little less than human. So I just googled where Dollywood is.

Say it isn't so. I've been told we must got to Dollywood somedcay, because.. you know, Dolly! Pigeon Forge is that bad? Wow. Is Gatlinburg tacky too?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-11-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 10:58 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg metroplex!
I live in East Tennessee and I can’t imagine any place but Myrtle Beach giving the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area a real challenge on this one. I’ve never been to Branson Mo though.

Of course the other places mentioned are significant tourist traps too, especially Niagra NY, Mackinaw Mi and Wisconsin Dells Wi.

Orlando Florida is filled with tourist traps including Disney itself but Orlando is a real city beyond its tourist aspect. Places like Pigeon Forge and Mackinaw exist solely to pry dollars from Ohio type tourists.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thankfully we were only planning on staying there one night on a trip to the Appalachians, so we just got the hellouttadodge and went on to Cade's Cove and ziplining and Cherokee, NC - I don't even remember where we stayed but we had a good time - AWAY from both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

See, I visited both places when I was a kid and so I had this 40 year old memory - wow, all I can say is that things have definitely changed, and not for the better.

But then, I haven't changed for the better either, so there's that.
The best East Tennessee vacation could be had without visiting that 5 mile long parking lot. You can enter GSMNP and enjoy its beauty without ever entering Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg

Old 05-12-2019, 01:36 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,251,463 times
New Braunfels and Fredericksburg, Texas are kind of kitschy.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
My guy has a fascination with Dolly Parton. I mean who doesn't love Dolly? In fact I consider hating on Dolly a serious character flaw and a little less than human. So I just googled where Dollywood is.

Say it isn't so. I've been told we must got to Dollywood somedcay, because.. you know, Dolly! Pigeon Forge is that bad? Wow. Is Gatlinburg tacky too?
Yes.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:04 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,493,848 times
OP, we will invite you to stay in downtown Knoxville which is not at all tacky and drive to Sevierville via hwy 441. Drive straight through Sevierville on 411 N and you'll see signs for the back entrance to Dollywood on Middle creek road. This will limit your kitsch exposure to absolute minimum - with the exception of a few billboards.

Dollywood is beautiful and lushly landscaped. Yes you'll see kitsch but it is well done and tongue in cheek. Enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.