Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times

Advertisements

mhays25 I said partially because seriously these pages do not do any updates or have any content. Look any of them up for example, nobody runs them, I'm pretty sure they just exist for people to like them, check in, or use as their current city, or workplace city, etc. They have random pictures of places people with public profiles who have tagged the city. Or I maybe someone with more FB knowledge can explain better.

I think a bigger factor would be how old the page is, or if an existing page has been deleted. Anyway, I think this is a really interesting thread and for once I am actually proud that I found something that seems interesting for a discussion on this forum! (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 03:50 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChicago View Post
Surprisingly Low:

Cincinnati
St Louis
Raleigh
Kansas City
Minneapolis
Washington DC

Shockingly high: (Ignoring the beach towns)

Los Angeles
Atlanta
Austin
San Antonio
Nashville
Memphis

I assume some like St Louis and Cincinnati must have recently deleted their pages (maybe they were previously unofficial) and had to re-create them. I also think it could be interesting to see how this compares to the city population and the metro population. Obviously there would just end up being a huge bias for tourist cities though (beach towns, Vegas, Orlando, etc)
one of your shockingly high shocks me......Los Angeles? That's got to easily be one of the cities that people are most interested in seeing. The attractions, the scenery great, and the weather to see it all is some of the best in the nation are endless and LA is like nowhere else. And you could skip Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, and Newport and Laguna Beach and you'd still have an endless amount to see and do.

Last edited by JMT; 05-11-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I'm actually incredibly surprised Chicago would be behind Las Vegas.
but it should be ahead of the Big Apple. Why head to the east coast when New York, New York creates one city that never sleeps inside another city that never sleeps. And its cleaner.

And if you are hell bent on a week in Paris, just go to Epcot.

Last edited by JMT; 05-11-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 PM

142 posts, read 93,320 times
Super interesting analysis OP!

All in all, it's a great example of why the FB algorithm is a black box (and why there is an entire industry of social media analytics built around trying to crack the algorithm).

A few thoughts on the outliers on the list:

-- A Facebook "Place" wouldn't be actively "managed" by a brand, but a digitally active, high quality tourism board would likely encourage people to Like these pages. If "Visit Miami" "Visit Gatlinburg" or whatever group has been tagging a City place for years in a lot of their content, people are going to Like and follow the place. On the other hand, if DC and Chicago never included tagging in a tourism strategy, people are much less likely to think of it on their own, even when visiting in real life. Since Likes never really go away, getting an early start on encouraging people to Like a page is a huge advantage. People rarely remember to go back and "unlike" a page.

-- Also, people often "Like" a page when they live somewhere, but it's not based on any standard or logic. City limits, CSA, MSA don't matter at all because people just identify with whatever they want. One guy may Like Marrietta as his hometown, and his next door neighbor may say he lives in Atlanta. It's not even a matter of doing what a person is supposed to do, there are just no hard and fast rules to what people identify with or how many pages they like. If you summed up a city and all the surrounding areas you would have tons of duplication.

Similarly, when people vacation somewhere, most people probably like the city at random, and don't necessarily always like where they vacation. People may forget, but also are more likely to publicly Like a place that is a media darling (hence high numbers for Nashville and Austin) and they want their friends to see them in a cool place everyone wants to visit, but may not remember to like where they go visit for work or a city with less cache. So there is an element of randomness, but also this ties back to how much the Place page is being exposed by the algorithm.

Regardless, very interesting to look at the data.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:36 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Surprisingly Low:

Cincinnati
St Louis
Raleigh
Kansas City
Minneapolis
Washington DC

Los Angeles
Atlanta
Austin
San Antonio
Nashville
Memphis

I assume some like St Louis and Cincinnati must have recently deleted their pages (maybe they were previously unofficial) and had to re-create them. I also think it could be interesting to see how this compares to the city population and the metro population. Obviously there would just end up being a huge bias for tourist cities though (beach towns, Vegas, Orlando, etc)
on your shockingly high, all of those cities are tourist destinations.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 AM

105 posts, read 94,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
one of your shockingly high shocks me......Los Angeles? That's got to easily be one of the cities that people are most interested in seeing. The attractions, the scenery great, and the weather to see it all is some of the best in the nation are endless and LA is like nowhere else. And you could skip Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, and Newport and Laguna Beach and you'd still have an endless amount to see and do.

I mean I'm not surprised that it's in second. Just surprised at how far ahead of 3,4,5 LA is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
on your shockingly high, all of those cities are tourist destinations.
I'd say Nashville is. The others aren't really any more of tourist destinations compared to the comparable cities that are below them on the list.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:28 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
I mean I'm not surprised that it's in second. Just surprised at how far ahead of 3,4,5 LA is.

I'd say Nashville is. The others aren't really any more of tourist destinations compared to the comparable cities that are below them on the list.
San Antonio is the #1 visited city in Texas. Austin has two festivals that bring in 6 figures each, and it's a party atmosphere, so a lot of likes by the drunken party goers. LA is LA, come on.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Surprisingly Low:

Cincinnati
St Louis
Raleigh
Kansas City
Minneapolis
Washington DC

Los Angeles
Atlanta
Austin
San Antonio
Nashville
Memphis

Quote:

I don't think you are correct. They may not be as much as Nashville but all of the cities on this list are significant tourist towns. Austin, Atlanta, and Memphis all have huge festivals and events that attract visitors throughout the year. San Antonio is a big tourist destination in Texas. Austin has SxSw, Memphis has Beale Street and many large music and food festivals including Memphis and May. Atlanta is a popular city and the black entertainment capital of the country and attracts a lot of tourists on a given week from across the southeast. LA is LA... The most surprising thing probably is DC being so low.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Also how is DC so low?
Apparently it gets trumped by other US cities

Old 05-12-2019, 05:29 PM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Elchevere, no I think this is the one time city propers stand alone. Although you could combine them it would be insanely time consuming, considering the tens of thousands of villages and towns that are not included above which you would have to look up, and then what if you missed one? I want to do this same list for world cities, but this took me over 2 hours to compile, I am thinking world cities may take a whole day or more.
I agree with elchevere only because of how many likes Miami proper got. The average tourist/ outsider doesn't spend much time at all in the COM and cares little about it. So I'm almost certain that a majority of the likes for Miami itself actually belong to the Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.