Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:31 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Central square.

Somerville is just pure hipster IMO
meh Central Square is kinda lame imo. Inman is better. I don't like any of Somerville to be frank, but I think it passes as "trendy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 02:33 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
meh Central Square is kinda lame imo. Inman is better. I don't like any of Somerville to be frank, but I think it passes as "trendy."
I like central for the record store, the Middle East and some Indian restaurants that's about it, I like Cambridge maude but I liked it more when it was a Galleria

Old 05-13-2019, 02:36 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Truthfully, almost no city has a hip or edgy suburb. Areas that might have been considered hip or edgy 10 years ago are basic yuppie, now. Hipsters aren’t really a thing anymore. Sure, there are pockets of artists and bohemians, but, they tend to be in rundown, semi industrial areas and of major cities, not in the desirable satellite cities.

Oakland is legitimately hip, but only on C – D is it considered a San Francisco suburb.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:39 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Truthfully, almost no city has a hip or edgy suburb. Areas that might have been considered hip or edgy 10 years ago are basic yuppie, now. Hipsters aren’t really a thing anymore. Sure, there are pockets of artists and bohemians, but, they tend to be in rundown, semi industrial areas and of major cities, not in the desirable satellite cities.

Oakland is legitimately hip, but only on C – D is it considered a San Francisco suburb.
OP said bordering city also. Oakland is a bordering city. Same way LBC is a bordering city of LA IMO and even Hoboken/Jersey City I don't consider full-fledged suburbs.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:25 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Who is saying it's a suburb? I said suburb OR bordering city. I mean I really don't consider Miami Beach to be suburb of Miami, nor do I consider Santa Monica to be one to LA.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:46 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
OP said bordering city also. Oakland is a bordering city. Same way LBC is a bordering city of LA IMO and even Hoboken/Jersey City I don't consider full-fledged suburbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Who is saying it's a suburb? I said suburb OR bordering city. I mean I really don't consider Miami Beach to be suburb of Miami, nor do I consider Santa Monica to be one to LA.
Even still, most of those aren’t hip. I’ve never been to Long Beach, so I’m going to leave that what are the discussion, but Jersey City, Hoboken and Miami Beach are definitely not hip. Hoboken and JC are desirable to millennial yuppies. Miami Beach comes the closest to being hip, but it’s more glitzy than cool.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:17 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
There are a lot of cities in the US that have a lot of trendy suburbs or bordering cities. By that I mean suburbs where people go to hang out for nightlife, that have cool art scenes, are that are a destination for citizens and visitors. For example some cities that DO have them:

LA - Santa Monica, West Hollywood.

Miami - Miami Beach

San Francisco - Oakland

Phoenix - Scottsdale

However, when you look at a city like Chicago, it really has no trendy or hip suburbs or neighboring cities. The closest would be Evanston or Oak Park, and they are very nice suburbs with things to do, but most people would not consider them hip, trendy or cool.
If not trendy or hip, both Evanston and Oak Park are urban and urbane. They very much represent a life style tpe of community that offers a city like vibe, albeit on a smaller scale.

If any suburb in Chicagoland approacges some of the vibe of Nort Side lakefront neighborhoods like Lincoln Park or Lake View, it would be Evanston. With NU, Evanston is a real college town. And there still remains a dose of the funk around Dempster and Chicago Avenue

Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM

264 posts, read 249,848 times
Kansas City: Waldo Area????

I don't think there are any to be honest here.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:55 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,983,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
As for Chicago, Evanston actually has a lot going on. I'm not an expert to say if it's "trendy," but it has a large university, it's very urban, it has direct L access, and it has its own beaches. My one time there it seemed pretty cool and Northwestern's prestige and size gave a lot of youth and international vibes to the sizable downtown area.
Oak Park is also building a ton of apartments for young professionals to live in and commute downtown on the L.

Does Houston have "trendy" suburbs? I feel like the city limits are so far out, any areas of high activity will probably be in the city proper, and this goes for a lot of Southern and Western cities.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,185,938 times
For St. Louis it would be University City by default, and a lot of people wouldn't even know why oddly enough. It's because The Delmar Loop is split between U. City and St. Louis proper, which is restaurant and nightlife district next to Washington University.

Clayton also has a lot going for it in terms of the DeMun neighborhood that it shares with St. Louis, in addition to its own downtown. The trouble with downtown Clayton though is that it's essentially the downtown version of one of St. Louis' private drive streets. Hence why its rents in its highrise buildings outpace the city, on average. This is anecdotal, but based on my last apartment search I'd wager that the only part of the city that can truly compete in terms of price are some of the towers in the Central West End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.