Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:10 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,079 times

Advertisements

I live in Winston-Salem, my hometown. I hate it. We're moving to NorCal this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 06:22 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,906,301 times
As a Buffalo lifer...not so much. I'll be 33 next month and would like to get out relatively soon...but realistically I don't know when 'soon' might turn out to be. As early as high school I had fantasies of moving to Arizona, which eventually became visions of moving to LA, but here I am at 32 still stuck in Buffalo, lol. Life circumstances arose early on in college that I couldn't have foreseen, so I can't really blame myself for still being here, but I am truly bored with life here and do little besides dividing time among the area's three Barnes & Noble locations reading as much as possible. Played poker semi-professionally for a couple years, up until recently, but I'm sick of the game and would probably need a Vegas atmosphere to have my interest rekindled. I've historically found the summer months to be the highlight of the year here (for obvious reasons, I think), but it's almost June and I can't even really muster much/any enthusiasm about the upcoming few months...which is a problem, given that I don't think I'll be moving within the near future.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:24 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I live in Winston-Salem, my hometown. I hate it. We're moving to NorCal this summer.

I was considering looking to move to the Triad area, although more likely going to end up in Knoxville.. I would be interested to hear what about W/S and Triad you hate.. I personally don't like California at all, but I could understand why people would move there (esp if they have loads of cash). The weather, scenery, recreation, beaches, etc in California are definitely a bonus. The politics, cost of living, traffic is what I hate, but maybe that is what you would like Anyhow, if you could share your reasons it would be nice to know. W/S is an area that some people either are deeply in love with or just utterly hate and I still have a hard time understanding the situation of the area.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:00 PM

623 posts, read 233,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Do you like/love the city you live in? If not, why do you stay? would you leave if you could?
No. Don't want to move kids schools AGAIN and right now can't move due to financial issues which will hopefully be fixed within a year. Yes we would move if we could either back to town we left before moving here OR back to Western North Carolina. I miss it with a passion.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
As a Buffalo lifer...not so much. I'll be 33 next month and would like to get out relatively soon...but realistically I don't know when 'soon' might turn out to be. As early as high school I had fantasies of moving to Arizona, which eventually became visions of moving to LA, but here I am at 32 still stuck in Buffalo, lol. Life circumstances arose early on in college that I couldn't have foreseen, so I can't really blame myself for still being here, but I am truly bored with life here and do little besides dividing time among the area's three Barnes & Noble locations reading as much as possible. Played poker semi-professionally for a couple years, up until recently, but I'm sick of the game and would probably need a Vegas atmosphere to have my interest rekindled. I've historically found the summer months to be the highlight of the year here (for obvious reasons, I think), but it's almost June and I can't even really muster much/any enthusiasm about the upcoming few months...which is a problem, given that I don't think I'll be moving within the near future.
I recommend Phoenix, or Las Vegas. LA beats both if you can afford it.

I grew up an hour away from you in Rochester, and left right after HS for Phoenix, that was 18 years ago, and I love it here

Old 06-10-2019, 07:35 AM

585 posts, read 362,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I just really hate to move. I have to figure out where to put everything and hope that I don't walk into a wall if I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Same, Gerania, same.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:14 AM

585 posts, read 362,224 times
I live in Fort Worth, TX and like it very much. I was raised in Burleson, which is a medium-sized town/now practically a suburb south of Fort Worth, and have lived in the DFW area for my entire life thus far (I'm 30 now), except for the four years spent down in College Station at Texas A&M. All of my immediate family and friends are in the area, with the exception of my sister and bro-in-law in Austin.

I enjoy the vast amount of things to do in Fort Worth, neighboring Dallas and the multitude of cities and suburbs surrounding. COL is great, although housing's going up, and the job market's always been stellar. I don't particularly care for the oppressively hot summers, traffic and driving distance, and lackluster scenery, but there are enough lakes in the area to make up for it, not to mention a short 3 hour trip to the Hill Country for hiking and better rivers for our kayak.

While DFW is very stable and cost-effective, my boyfriend and I have been eyeballing Montana, Idaho, and Oregon (not Portland...$$$) for potential moves in the future. And if money were not a factor, Washington or Colorado (although Colorado Springs doesn't seem to be quite as pricey as most of the Denver area). We are very outdoorsy and love mountains, forests, rivers, and a more progressive climate. As an occupational therapist I can find work pretty much anywhere, and my boyfriend will be able to soon, as well......we'll have to wait and see, once our financial situation improves!

Last edited by DFWAg; 06-10-2019 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times
I like Baltimore

Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,514 times
Yes, I love Philly and have no plans to leave! I was raised, attended college, and now live/work here. My current girlfriend is a transplant, and she loves it here as well. If we stay together for the long-run, then I could see us buying a house here. Though I'm 23, I will never leave the city for the suburbs. People have tried to allege that having kids will change my viewpoint, but as someone who was raised in the city and suburbs, I can attest that city living is MUCH more beneficial for children. If having kids brings on the need for more space, then we can move to Germantown/Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill or Manayunk/Roxborough/Wissahickon.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:50 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I live in Denver and just cannot wait to get the heck out of this place.. To me it is the most overrated and over-hyped city in America. It's very expensive, the weather is dreadful and the worst of any place I have lived, the scenery is barren, dry and depressing with little plant life. Even though the traffic in the city is not bad at all (one thing others gripe about that I refuse to), if you drive up to the mountains it is strenuous and crowded, but there are some beautiful spots in Colorado, but they are a journey from Denver. I just feel the city has little pulse or life to it. People are pretty reserved and seemed married to their hobbies, dogs and significant others. Many of the bars are kind of pretentious and the food scene is lackluster. I felt Boise, Idaho had way better food scene than Denver and that is kind of sad to say. Portland, Seattle and even San Francisco earn a little of their hype, but I just don't feel the same about Denver. Denver is superficially large as well, because it is just such a huge sprawled suburban city and the city center is much smaller than you think. Outside of inner city it is pretty sterile suburbia. I could go on and on, but I think I would be exhausted. Some of the blue collar dive bars in the suburbs are kind of fun though and have the old Colorado element to it. Also, I do like some of the less touristed mountain towns, like Bailey. It turns out that Sasquatch actually is from Colorado and there is a National Sasquatch Museum in Bailey, which is definitely an honorable mention for Colorado. I hear Fort Collins and Colorado Springs are actually more fun places to live than Denver.

I use to love living in Portland, Oregon, where I lived for 15 or so years , but I don't think I would like to live there now that it has become so much larger, mismanaged, out of control homeless and drug problem, dreadful traffic and a cost of living that doesn't even come close to matching salaries. But Portland in the 90s was the real dream of the 90s of Portland, not the Portlandia of today.

I did enjoy growing up in Ashland, Oregon, but the town was bought up by wealthy Californians and has become a snobby , pretentious millionaire yuppie craphole like Aspen and other uppity resort towns. Most of the hippies and free-spirited people were replaced by transplanted urban hipsters who think they are too cool for you and will not invite you into their social or drum circle in Lithia Park. I use to love hanging out with all my hippie friends in Lithia Park and you could literally meet everyone from tye-dye shirt wearing lawyers to the guy who lived in the mountains for 15 years in his VW Bus just walking around the park during the day. As well, Lithia Park is probably one of the largest and most beautiful parks in America located within a town limits. I also miss hanging out at Garo's (then it became Evo's) coffeeshop and having 5 hour long conversations about deeply spiritual, ethical and every other issue imaginable with other locals. It was a fun little hippie/hillbilly country-ish town to grow up in when I was young though and I miss that. MOst of locals have been priced out now I hear and the once cool party rager school SOU (where I went to college in 90s) now is kind of a snobby , pretentious hipster liberal arts school that doesn't sound anything like the SOSC (now SOU) I went to in my teens. Pretty much everyone I hear who has lived or visited Ashland now says it is pretty snobby, yuppie, hipster and unfriendly. So sad my home town had to go downhill like that .
How many times have you moved across the country in the last 5 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.