Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:32 PM

92,031 posts, read 122,173,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
31 in the entire state per year? From personal experience, that cannot be right.

"Then, a much sharper increase...up to 447 clandestine labs were discovered last year." Now THAT statement seems to be more accurate, maybe the authors research was slightly off. The wording implies the entire decade from 2000-2009, but I don't think that was intentional. I think 31 a year was more the early half of the decade.

In fact now that I think about it, I am beginning to believe that old article I am trying to recall was talking about the sharp rise in incident rather than raw numbers.
That sounds about right, as the information shows that as well.

Most of the issue is in rural areas or maybe some small cities, but even the 447 is lower than many states with less people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,486,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That sounds about right, as the information shows that as well.

Most of the issue is in rural areas or maybe some small cities, but even the 447 is lower than many states with less people.
For sure. But the OP asked what areas were the worst in the northeast, that's why I am on about NY.

It must also be said, the numbers are the labs that have been discovered. Not the number that are active, nor the number of users.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,860,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post

Besides Aroostook County, I hear that there are pockets of Upstate New York and Western Pennsylvania where methamphetamine use is (or was) on par with the Midwest and West---what is the current meth capital of the Northeast/New England region, and is that area suffering from similar problems as the most meth-stricken areas in the Midwest and South?
I don't know where the meth capital of New England/Northeast is but we have a real meth issue here. There are fairly regular busts of meth labs in rural Erie County and in some of the surrounding rural counties here in Western PA. Nobody seems to smoke pot anymore; they like meth and the Oxycodones. Sometimes heroin if they can't get a hold of the Oxycodone.

There are definitely some problems associated with the meth issue here. The police are dealing with more crimes, particularly home break-ins and various types of theft. Presumably the items are being stolen by people using the meth to sell them to buy more meth.

Meth labs are also quite flammable/volatile. In the rural town where I work, there have been several meth houses that have caught fire due to meth lab explosions.

The town doesn't have the resources to deal with the addiction issues and the unfortunate outcome is that the users are arrested, go to jail for a bit then are right back on the streets when what they need is treatment.

I saw the same thing going on in rural Kentucky. I'll never forget the day when one of my employees called in absolutely hysterical and said that she couldn't come to work because the house next door exploded and caught fire then burned her house down. It turned out to be a meth house

I think that it's a problem everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.