Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Highways have robbed many core cities of much of their potential. In Philadelphia, I-95 cuts off its urban core from its waterfront. In Baltimore, I-83 bisects two of its most beautiful neighborhoods. In Los Angeles, the downtown core is encircled by freeways. Of all major American cities, which one has lost the most potential to highway expansion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:05 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Cincy has to be up there. Though personally I don't like how D.C limited freeway connections to Maryland.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Seattle is currently demolishing one of the two freeways in our downtown, Highway 99, which now goes through a two-mile tunnel. Now the problems is basically I-5, which is also covered in a key stretch (still needs more crossings, and to potentially solve part of that there's a semi-unlikely attempt to cover a larger section of it). Ok, plus a three-block ramp to I-5 and the final bit of I-90.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
In Toronto, the elevated Gardner Expressway cuts off the waterfront from the rest of the city

Old 05-28-2019, 12:48 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
I'd ask:

1. What percentage of the radius is cut off by highway barriers.

2. What percentage have highways that aren't barriers but are psychological separations (elevated).

3. How frequent, easy, and pleasant is it to cross the barrier.

4. How connected are other modes across the barrier.

5. How short is the crossing...for example 150 feet vs 600 feet, or sometimes far worse at interchanges?

San Francisco and New York are phenomenal. Most are like my city, Seattle, with a mix of barriers of varying quality, and substantial non-barrier radius areas. Some have the full highway ring of death.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:23 PM

93,182 posts, read 123,783,345 times
A lot of Northeastern and select Rust Belt cities in other regions should come to mind, given that many haven't been able to annex other unincorporated land in order to make up for the mess Urban Renewal made. That is why I-81 through Syracuse is a hot topic now: https://www.dot.ny.gov/i81opportunities/about

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/0...-syracuse.html

https://www.wrvo.org/term/i-81

Old 05-28-2019, 02:36 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
After lliving in Syracuse, yes the highway does cut off the city.. but most of the Syracuse area is blighted and fallen anyway (Oswego, Fulton, etc), so I dont think the highway diminishes its potential. They should work on revitalizing the Northern part of the city, areas along 481 and trying to curb the heroin epidemic. Oswego NY in particular.. so much potential, but its so sad to see such a once prominent city in the horrible condition its in today. Saddest city/town ive ever seen.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:59 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Highways have robbed many core cities of much of their potential. In Philadelphia, I-95 cuts off its urban core from its waterfront. In Baltimore, I-83 bisects two of its most beautiful neighborhoods. In Los Angeles, the downtown core is encircled by freeways. Of all major American cities, which one has lost the most potential to highway expansion?
Philadelphia still has a great urban core, but 95 has definitely ruined the seamless connection between Center City and its waterfront on the Delaware. There are plans in place to cap a small portion, but the rest isn't going anywhere.

676 (The Vine Street Expressway), though below grade (though not covered) is another scar that has cut off neighborhoods from Center City. The explosion of growth in Center City has made the scar less apparent, but its still an unpleasant walk over it.

Even worse, PennDot reconstructed all of the bridges of 676 a few years ago, they had the chance to completely cap the highway, but they chose not to for budgetary reasons...

Old 05-28-2019, 05:05 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I'd say Hartford, CT has the most palpable damage done with I-91 completely cutting off the city of its waterfront along the Connecticut River. If that weren't bad enough I-84 walled off the north and west ends of downtown, so it has a classic case of chokehold around its downtown. Many historic blocks were destroyed for the highways and new mid/late century financial district. This was a city Mark Twain once loved and admired. The highways ruined it.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:55 PM

93,182 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
After lliving in Syracuse, yes the highway does cut off the city.. but most of the Syracuse area is blighted and fallen anyway (Oswego, Fulton, etc), so I dont think the highway diminishes its potential. They should work on revitalizing the Northern part of the city, areas along 481 and trying to curb the heroin epidemic. Oswego NY in particular.. so much potential, but its so sad to see such a once prominent city in the horrible condition its in today. Saddest city/town ive ever seen.
This isn’t the case(or really makes any sense) and in terms of the actual topic, yes, the highway splits the core of the city. Downtown and the University Hill area could be connected by development if the highway wasn’t there. It comes down to the impact on people that live nearby as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.