Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:28 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
In Chicago a wealthy younger family probably just wouldn't live in the city; they'd live on the North Shore or in (southern) DuPage County. But if they did, yeah, I guess an apartment would be more likely than a house in a wealthy but old-money neighborhood that's far from everything. There are good magnet schools near downtown.
I’m not “wealthy”, but I could afford to live in any part of Chicagoland, and when we were considering a move back, we were only considering the city. There are Chicago neighborhoods with good schools, and condo/townhouse (and the occasional sfh) within reach of the upper-middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Miami is another city where wealthy families live in high rises buying up waterfront condos for millions of dollars.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:16 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I actually went to Lane Tech, and back in high school we used to go to parties from people in our school and other Chicago schools in high rises where they lived. I just don't think it's anywhere or near as prevalent as it is in NYC, but I would say after NYC Chicago probably has the most.
That's really interesting. I've always assumed that most people in Chicago tend to leave high rises once their kids reach elementary or middle school.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
In Chicago a wealthy younger family probably just wouldn't live in the city; they'd live on the North Shore or in (southern) DuPage County. But if they did, yeah, I guess an apartment would be more likely than a house in a wealthy but old-money neighborhood that's far from everything. There are good magnet schools near downtown.
That was true 15-25 years ago, but these days there are very many very wealthy families with children living in the city, many of them choosing the downtown/near north and Lincoln Park areas. If you can afford the higher costs of having kids in the city, it's extremely desirable for many to do so.

My husband and I aren't "wealthy", but we make ~$320,000 per year and would never live anywhere else in the area with our children but directly in the city of Chicago. We have a single family home though not an apartment.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:19 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Yeah my inclination is that this would only be very common in NYC. It all depends on what your threshold is for commonplace...I'm sure there are examples of wealthy families opting for this in every city, and some (like Chicago, DC, SF, Miami etc) where it wouldn't raise too many eyebrows. But only NYC where it is super commonplace.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Boston

Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
In NYC, the people that can choose to live anywhere readily choose to live in apartments/condos/co-ops in the city. That's mostly for Manhattan and Brooklyn. However, the not-wealthy but still comfortable who are getting priced out of Brooklyn are now looking into Jersey City, Hoboken, and select other parts of Hudson County for either condo/apartment/rowhome living. Mult-family buildings here often have a few parking spots for purchase/rent. Many of the rowhomes have parking spots out front or the newest buildings sometimes have garages.

In LA, the COL is so high that while the wealthy didn't often choose to live in apartments/condos, there was absolutely nothing strange about having a friend who lived in an apartment their entire childhood. Many of my friends did, especially those whose parents moved to the area later. Especially those who moved to the suburban districts for the better schools just outside the city limits of LA. But there are some wealthy people who live in the condos/apartments on Wilshire Blvd in the Westwood area and in Century City by choice.

Definitely SF also, but now a lot of them are in the single-family attached homes of the outer districts.

Idk enough to comment, but I'm sure it's common in Boston, DC, and Chicago as well. I could see it becoming more popular in Philly too, now that it's finally picking up on the re-urbanization trend and attracting lots of young couples and young families into the city limits. It's still a majority rowhome city, but I wouldn't be surprised if people start choosing to live in the new high rises or other condos/apartments going up throughout CC.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Idk enough to comment, but I'm sure it's common in Boston, DC, and Chicago as well. I could see it becoming more popular in Philly too, now that it's finally picking up on the re-urbanization trend and attracting lots of young couples and young families into the city limits. It's still a majority rowhome city, but I wouldn't be surprised if people start choosing to live in the new high rises or other condos/apartments going up throughout CC.

Yeah, I honestly think most families in Philly who want an urban neighborhood would choose a rowhome. It would generally provide more room, privacy, and amenities that a family needs compared to an apartment. Because rowhomes are the common urban experience in Philly anyway, the family would not be missing out on any of the typical urban experience here.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:49 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
In NYC, the people that can choose to live anywhere readily choose to live in apartments/condos/co-ops in the city. That's mostly for Manhattan and Brooklyn. However, the not-wealthy but still comfortable who are getting priced out of Brooklyn are now looking into Jersey City, Hoboken, and select other parts of Hudson County for either condo/apartment/rowhome living. Mult-family buildings here often have a few parking spots for purchase/rent. Many of the rowhomes have parking spots out front or the newest buildings sometimes have garages.

In LA, the COL is so high that while the wealthy didn't often choose to live in apartments/condos, there was absolutely nothing strange about having a friend who lived in an apartment their entire childhood. Many of my friends did, especially those whose parents moved to the area later. Especially those who moved to the suburban districts for the better schools just outside the city limits of LA. But there are some wealthy people who live in the condos/apartments on Wilshire Blvd in the Westwood area and in Century City by choice.

Definitely SF also, but now a lot of them are in the single-family attached homes of the outer districts.

It's actually the 50s to 90s buildings that are most likely to have garages. Developers have been moving away from the suburban style buildings since then, at least in areas with good public transit. Most of the new buildings I see in North Brooklyn do not have any off street parking.

I also think that rowhome living is completely different than apartment living (assuming you own the whole thing), since it's functionally the same as a detached single family house.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:55 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
That's really interesting. I've always assumed that most people in Chicago tend to leave high rises once their kids reach elementary or middle school.
Most people in Chicago don’t live in high-rises. Believe it or not most Chicago apartments are mid-rise or three-flats.

This is a great example of an affordable, three flat in a great neighborhood with great schools

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/23...m_content=link

There are even SFH to be had, under 1mil.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/22...m_content=link
But, sticking to apartments, most Chicago buildings are one-two units per floor. Apartment living is different when you aren’t sharing walls with your neighbors.

Last edited by gladhands; 06-06-2019 at 05:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.