Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:39 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,414,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know what I look at? I look at how a person has lived and lives their life, regardless of where they are from. Their values. Their life choices. That's what tells me about a person, not where their parents decided to live and raise a family.
I wish more people had your attitude, life would a lot better. I think some people get so caught up in what city or region they're from because they think that gives them some type of prestige or they're superior to some people. Some people feel if you live in a cool city or region then you're cool, which is ridiculous. Like you said, it's more about the person not where they're parents decided to live and start a family.

I say, there's no such thing as a best region to be from because they all have their pros and cons. There's no perfect region, and certain regions might not be for certain people because it may not benefit them economically or personally. For example, a poster on CD moved from The Bay Area and other U.S. cities to Cleveland because he and his wife felt that living in The Bay and those cities wasn't benefiting them economically. On the flip side, there are some people who stay in cities like that despite the fact that they can't afford to stay there for whatever reason (i.e. career, lifestyle, ego, prestige).

Last edited by QCongress83216; 06-26-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 03:10 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,676,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I really feel like people from the NE (Boston, NYC, Philly) have the most "pride" in where they're from, and would very quickly be happy to point out to others where they were born/raised. I've also noticed a lot of Texans being proud of being Texans and being happy they're from there. California? Maybe, but not really in my experience.

Nobody cares about being from the Midwest, much of the south, mountain west and the rest of the U.S.

That's about it as far as people being proud of their roots in the U.S.
People from the Bay Area are proud of being from the Bay Area to a fault.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:10 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,186,867 times
Obviously., the South is the best place to be from, be in, go to, etc. I’m sure everyone on this board will agree with me.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:17 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,414,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Obviously., the South is the best place to be from, be in, go to, etc. I’m sure everyone on this board will agree with me.
Don't assume that everybody agrees with you because every region isn't for everybody. The South may not be for everybody just like the Midwest or the Coasts aren't for everybody. Don't be so provincial.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:31 PM

508 posts, read 425,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Don't assume that everybody agrees with you because every region isn't for everybody. The South may not be for everybody just like the Midwest or the Coasts aren't for everybody. Don't be so provincial.
Totally agree with you QCongress83216. I think every region has special places where I could see myself wanting to raise children someday if I ever did. I love the South, Midwest, Northeast, and West all for different (and similar) reasons. Take Cleveland for example, I would totally raise a kid or love to have grown up in Lakewood or Shaker Heights. I was there for the first time with a buddy a couple years ago and we were blown away by the number of kids that walked to school in the Cleveland area. Something you almost never see in the south except for a few rare oddities. I believe Lakewood is only one of a few cities nationally where there is no school bus system and most kids walk to school (this IMO is amazing). The only other place I have seen with a similar amount of kids walking/biking to school was Boulder. For me this would be a defining attribute for what makes a place great to be from (since I also grew up in a place where I could easily walk to school). Also, I believe Southern Man may have been sarcastic with that remark lol.

Last edited by dbcook1; 06-26-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 03:48 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,186,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post

I guess I should have used one of those little smiley face things, but I thought most folks would know what I meant.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:20 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,273,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Prove it.
https://longislandweekly.com/why-are...85CYPfg3GaRu1I

Old 06-26-2019, 04:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,826,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I never mentioned young people, as none of my neighbors that I spoke of are under 40. Not one of them had any problem 'hacking' it there due to costs.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,414,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
When it comes to hard hitting journalism you can always count on the Long Island Weekly. So the article is based off a survey done by the Long Island index, hardly scientific.

From the article:
Quote:
“According to a survey done by Long Island index just last year, Long Island is experiencing a mass exodus. To be more precise, roughly 71 percent of young adults currently residing in Long Island are determined to leave it behind in the next five years to come.”
I’ve known a lot of people “determined” to do things, doesn’t mean it happens.

Further more, those surveyed aren’t leaving just because of housing costs.

Also from the article:
Quote:
1. Expensive housing and high standard
2. Low average income
3. No prospect of improvement
I’ll just let # 2 & 3 be.

I have a few good friends from Long Island, and have met a slew of their friends that have moved away as well, to a more expensive area nonetheless, and not a one said the reason they moved was housing or cost of living.

I really like Long Island. I’ll actually be out there again this August, but pump the brakes a bit. Just because you’re from there and decided to stay doesn’t mean those that decided to leave couldn't afford/hack it.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,425,961 times
I left Long Island (New York) primarily for one reason: the weather. 4 years of even colder and snowier winter during college in upstate (Ithaca to be exact) were enough to motivate me to seek and obtain employment in warm weather cities, which I was able to achieve my entire career (mostly CA and now FL). The vast majority of my family and friends that moved away from LI did so for lifestyle—which includes weather and slower pace of life. LI was a great place to be raised and from but I have lived elsewhere my entire adult life. If I were not acclimated to warm weather and chose to return to NY, Manhattan would be my choice.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-27-2019 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.