U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:15 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 1,212,433 times
Reputation: 5127

Advertisements

I need help.

My family and my mates family have decided that we should all gather together at a vacation house. We stupidly got involved with my siblings in identifying some possible spots for this. It's proving to be difficult.

My family lives on the east coast. One family member won't fly. (Long story but this isn't negotiable for him.) One group loves the beach and vacations in Florida. The other loves the mountains and loves going hiking. North Carolina (Asheville) and parts of Tennessee are their favorite spots.

The mate has relatives in SoCal and Texas. One group simply won't be happy unless the house is on Maui which isn't going to be financially possible. The other is frightened of any weather under 70 degrees and would go to SoCal but again, one of my close family members won't fly and I can't see him driving cross country once a year. Plus SoCal is expensive.

The mate likes New Orleans. I'm down for that except we have some teetotalers/folks in recovery and I don't think it would be enjoyable for them. I love love love Maine, but the West Coast and Texas group would probably never go there.

Any recommendations? We would love to have somewhere beautiful and quiet but are open to a cool town nearby. Water of some kind (river, lake, beach) would be great. And the budget for this is likely $400k or less so large swaths of the country are out. No condos. No congestion.

Is this possible? If so, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:21 PM
 
3,546 posts, read 1,360,288 times
Reputation: 6955
$400K?
do them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
159 posts, read 40,889 times
Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
$400K?
do them all.
Sounds like the $400k was to purchase a vacation home, not to rent it for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:26 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 1,212,433 times
Reputation: 5127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
Sounds like the $400k was to purchase a vacation home, not to rent it for a week.
Yes it is likely the budget to purchase. Depending on what happens it could be a bit more or a bit less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Olympia, Washington
1,258 posts, read 699,374 times
Reputation: 1123
I like your Maine suggestion personally but you can never please everyone. Maine has both beaches and mountains though the west coast people will probably laugh at the mountains. I can save you some trouble and tell you not to bother looking in Oregon/Washington cause the water there is too cold to swim in. Cape Cod in Massachusetts is a very popular summer vacation spot...maybe there? The hiking people are not too far the white mountains in NH (~4 hr drive). Boston, Providence, and NYC are not far away also for cool cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:42 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 1,212,433 times
Reputation: 5127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I like your Maine suggestion personally but you can never please everyone. Maine has both beaches and mountains though the west coast people will probably laugh at the mountains. I can save you some trouble and tell you not to bother looking in Oregon/Washington cause the water there is too cold to swim in. Cape Cod in Massachusetts is a very popular summer vacation spot...maybe there? The hiking people are not too far the white mountains in NH (~4 hr drive). Boston, Providence, and NYC are not far away also for cool cities.
Yes I suggested Maine first as I have a good friend with family there who would be willing to look in on the house in the off season if we bought reasonably close to where they live. I adore Maine. But the Texas/So Cal crew shot it down saying that if we think. SoCal is too far for us, Maine is too far for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Olympia, Washington
1,258 posts, read 699,374 times
Reputation: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yes I suggested Maine first as I have a good friend with family there who would be willing to look in on the house in the off season if we bought reasonably close to where they live. I adore Maine. But the Texas/So Cal crew shot it down saying that if we think. SoCal is too far for us, Maine is too far for them.
So if you are looking for somewhere in the middle you are basically restricted to somewhere on the Gulf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 PM
 
3,546 posts, read 1,360,288 times
Reputation: 6955
"...we should all gather together at a vacation house..."
ok.
that meant temporary to me.
my bad. so...if BUYING and
GATHERING are the same:
the one individual person who will not fly will lose.
eliminate that one person from any consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2019, 05:54 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 1,212,433 times
Reputation: 5127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
So if you are looking for somewhere in the middle you are basically restricted to somewhere on the Gulf?
Honestly? I don't know. That was my first thought. Somewhere central. So New Orleans? Pensacola? I'm not super familiar with anything outside of the Gulf Coast so I'm hoping there's some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2019, 07:14 PM
 
21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Reputation: 19627
Maybe a place like Lake Lanier in Georgia? https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top