Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,753 times

Advertisements

Texas recently passed legislation that ultimately eliminates building control at the local level.It is downright alarming and nonsensical...

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Go...511326711.html

Ultimately,the bill jeopardizes the investments of both residents and corporations by not protecting the tax base via building standards.There are plenty of suburbs that are what they are today,valuable and desirable...due solely to their high building standards.Forcing towns and cities to have virtually no building standards for facades/making things look uniform/cosmetically desirable,is a nightmare situation.Think bare minimum facades without anything extra on both residential and commercial lots.This would be allowed without local masonry regulations that this bill preempts.When property values go unprotected by minimum standards,the at-large tax base is de-valued,resulting in higher taxes for everybody.

What states would never consider doing something like this?What states allow towns/cities to have the most control over building standards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 06:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
The link doesn't work so I'll take your word for it.

If you didn't mention the state I would have guessed Texas.

I know my village in WI has say over building heights and other criteria. I live next door to a vacant commercial building that is speculated to be demolished to make way for a mixed use building. My neighbor is petitioning the village to limit the building to four stories but I really don't care.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Often it's the aesthetics crowd vs. the affordability crowd.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:54 AM

Fixed the link...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...1.html%3famp=y

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...on-regulations

Old 07-03-2019, 02:05 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
So towns can build as high as they want without pressure from NIMBYs?

Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Does anyone have more insight to contribute regarding what states allow towns/cities to have the most control over building standards?
I believe New York State is one of the top contenders to answer your question.

First of all, in New York, local cities and towns control all the zoning, counties have little if any zoning power. Another reason that makes New York one of the top contenders for local control is that New York has even smaller levels of government inside the towns - incorporated villages. New York type villages control most of the zoning and building codes within their boundaries. So we are talking really local here.

The six New England states also lack (as far as I know) county involvement in zoning and building codes so they may be similar to New York. Vermont even has New York style villages. However, I am not sure if any of those states interfere with local control on building standards and zoning.

In conclusion, I would definitely place New York States in the top 10 states that allow the most local control. Possibly the 6 New England states as well. So that could be 7 out of the top 10 right there.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I believe New York State is one of the top contenders to answer your question.

First of all, in New York, local cities and towns control all the zoning, counties have little if any zoning power. Another reason that makes New York one of the top contenders for local control is that New York has even smaller levels of government inside the towns - incorporated villages. New York type villages control most of the zoning and building codes within their boundaries. So we are talking really local here.

The six New England states also lack (as far as I know) county involvement in zoning and building codes so they may be similar to New York. Vermont even has New York style villages. However, I am not sure if any of those states interfere with local control on building standards and zoning.

In conclusion, I would definitely place New York States in the top 10 states that allow the most local control. Possibly the 6 New England states as well. So that could be 7 out of the top 10 right there.
Thank you for that insight.I was thinking parts of the northeast and maybe Ohio...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.