Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I would pick Tennessee. Winters in Tennessee are only marginally colder than Texas, but the seasons are nicer there. More vegetation and nicer spring and fall foliage. I'd pick somewhere around Nashville or Knoxville, personally.

I don't like living in Florida. I grew up down there. If you were to move there, I'd pick either the central and northern part, and avoid Miami like the plague.

I'm curious on what you're worried won't work out for you about Texas specifically? In most ways, Texas is performing better as a place to live than either TN or FL. You're in Midland which is relatively close to Abilene, which was my favourite city to live in Texas. If I was to move to Texas and start a family there instead, I'd pick Abilene.
hey BadgerFilms.I talked to my family and they said that the winters in TN are not too different than where they live in Arkansas.I could handle those winters though.I have always loved Abilene.I may live there someday but I think I would raise a family in a different part of Texas which i prolly will.Thanks.

Last edited by C24L; 07-07-2019 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 07:48 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Tennessee can have short spells of bitter cold in the winter but high's in the 50's are pretty much the norm.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Tennessee can have short spells of bitter cold in the winter but high's in the 50's are pretty much the norm.
Thanks Turnerbro.Thats good to know.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:27 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
I don't mean to call you out, but weren't you single and looking at New Mexico 4 months ago? Did you get a girl?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:05 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Depends on where you are.

I live in the Tri-Cities. Average January temperatures are around 45/27. Low 50s aren't uncommon, but "normal" either. Chattanooga or Memphis may push 50, but it's not going to be common in the northern or higher elevation areas of the state.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi,
I am a millennial man in Midland, Texas.I am thinking of raising my family in TN or Florida if Texas does not work for me anymore for whatever reason.I would prefer to live in a small city or suburb in either state.I would prefer to live in a neighborhood that is safe but working class or blue collar or middle class not upper-middle class McMansion type because I am frugal.I would not want to live in far South Florida like near Miami.I like TN because I would be more likely to find a good church there than Florida.Florida appeals to me because its warmer than a lot of the country.

How are the winters in most of TN cuz I would prefer the winter day time highs to be in the 50's and above?I need to visit TN and Florida.I have only been to Memphis and Orlando.I do not want to live in Memphis.I would prefer the gulf side of Florida.I do not know my budget yet.Jobs would not be a consideration.I would want to be somewhere family friendly.Its possible that I would only live in those states for a brief amount of time.However, it is also possible that I will settle in one of those states if Texas wont work for my future family. I would not move out of state until I get married.I am fine living in cities or towns that have high crime rates but I would want to live in the nicer part of the town.I dont need nightlife or breweries or malls and stuff like that.I would want to live somewhere that has at least decent schools for the kids.What are some possible cities in Florida or TN that could work for me?Thanks in advance.
Tennessee would be my pick:

Less likelihood of natural disasters;
Both have good cost of living;
Change of seasons but winters not unbearable and some change in topography with flatlands and mountains;
Less density than Florida
Better business climate than Florida.
Both have no state income tax.
More centrally located for travel.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't mean to call you out, but weren't you single and looking at New Mexico 4 months ago? Did you get a girl?
Hi Gaylord Focker, I am single.Yes, I am still looking at New Mexico.Id say its prolly more likely than TN.I would move out of state only after i get married bro.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would move out of state only after i get married bro.
You don't think the future Mrs. might want a say in that? Lots of wives like to stay put if they have family in the area.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You don't think the future Mrs. might want a say in that? Lots of wives like to stay put if they have family in the area.
I plan on talking to my future wife about it before i pop the question.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Tennessee would be my pick:

Less likelihood of natural disasters;
Both have good cost of living;
Change of seasons but winters not unbearable and some change in topography with flatlands and mountains;
Less density than Florida
Better business climate than Florida.
Both have no state income tax.
More centrally located for travel.
Those are all good reasons for picking TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.