Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:55 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Yeah the only area of Boston that is on a grid is Back Bay, which was filled in during the 19th century. The street network in central Boston pre-dates the era when grids were en vogue.

To me, the pictures of Atlanta show what I described in a previous post (and you get a better sense of it while there). Atlanta has big city points because it has tall buildings popping up out of the tree canopy, but when you're on the street the place looks like a very vertical office park.

Boston doesn't have nearly the number of tall buildings that Atlanta has. Boston's big city points come from its dense (though lower-rise) neighborhoods. Look into North End, South End, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Comm Ave, Cambridge, Harvard Square, Copley Square, Brookline, etc. I'm sure a google image search would yield some examples of what these places look like. But of course pics don't suffice. You have to spend plenty of time on the ground in each city go get a feel for them.

ScraperEnthusiast, I'm sure most people here are very aware 1955 is long gone (and thankfully so, if you ask me), but perhaps you're living in 2055?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
I live in Atlanta. Have since 1984. I've seen the skyline triple in size (or more) since I moved here. I've visited Boston. I can say without a doubt that Boston definately feels MUCH more like a city than Atlanta.

Downtown Atlanta is little more than a huge are of office towers filled with suburban workers who only venture out on short distances at lunch to get something to eat. Even at that, many of them don't even leave their offices due to the extremely high number of vagrants and panhandlers downtown (see story HERE (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=114754 - broken link)). Once 5pm hits, poof - those workers are gone. A small area around Centennial Olympic Park just to the West of the major downtown area now has the Park, CNN Center, Aquarium, and world of Coke Museum (woo). It's only recently developed as a tourist area where you will see groups of people waiting for the attractions or attending a special event at the World Congress Center, and it's a relatively small area that still doesn't have a lot in the way of street side restaurants or shops for people to visit.

Just North of downtown is Midtown. More offices, fewer bums, and a few restaurants and such, but only recently have more condos and other housing options really taken off, bringing people back intown to live. Piedmont Park is located here which does have an urbanish feel to it as you have the green spaces with the Midtown skyline as a backdrop, along with a very mixed group of visitors.

North of there is "Buckhead" - the more expensive area. South Buckhead is developing an area called The Streets of Buckhead which will be a high-end shopping district within walking distance of existing and new condos and hotels in that area. It will be one of the few "feels like a city" areas in town (though the average person won't be able to afford to shop there). Just north of that area is the main Buckhead district with more office buildings, some new high rise condos/hotels going up, and two large shopping malls. Nice, but it's not very pedestrian friendly or attractive at eye-level when walking around, lacking cafes, street level shops, etc.

There are a few scatterings of village-style shopping areas in Atlanta such as the Virginia Highland neighborhood, but you could find something like that in a small New England town just as easily as a big city.

Boston could not be more different. More compact, more shops and restaurants when you walk, etc. It "feels" like a city. Atlanta just feels like a bunch of buildings with sidewalks that connect them and maybe a restaurant or two here and there, but if you're driving it, yes, Atlanta feels LARGER due to the vast amount of land area it takes up and how long you have to drive before you stop seeing sprawl. They haven't nicknamed us the "L.A. of the East" for nothing.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
Well said ATLgreg.

And downtowns are more than just tall new buildings. They needs people. They need life.

Boston wins.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 PM

287 posts, read 1,028,005 times
I went a little overboard picking out picture of different neighborhoods in Boston and surrounding urban areas, so to save you all the trouble I'm just going to link to them. Everything that's not labeled with a different town name is within Boston.

Boston and Environs

Old 04-25-2008, 06:37 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Thanks Wikedripeplum for the pictures. I was hoping to get an idea of the feel and urban development of Boston's outer regions in comparison to Atlantas. Most of the neighborhoods you show are well within 5 miles of Bostons center.

But what about when you get like 8 or more miles from Boston's center. Some towns that are about 8 miles from Boston's center include Winchester, Quincy, Dedham, Waltham, and Lynn. Do any of those cities look anything like this?

http://http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/streets/txbkhdstrsh6-1.jpg (broken link)

I doubt it. These are pictures of Buckhead, a full 8 miles from the center of Atlanta. Boston doesn't have this kind of development that far from it's center which is why I think Atlanta feels bigger than Boston

Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM

135 posts, read 786,005 times
Buckhead could function as its own seperate city if it were not within the city limits of Atlanta. That's truly amazing. What's also amazing is that these pictures are old. The buckhead skyline has changed dramatically since these were taken, with the completion of Mansion, Terminus, 3344 Peachtree, and a few others.

At the rate it's going, Buckhead is set to dwarf both Midtown and Downtown. Maybe not in height, but in the sheer number of buildings.

A friend of mine was visiting from Canada this spring. We went to perimeter to eat. She asked " is this the downtown area?" I was like, "no". Then we went to Buckhead. She asked "is this downtown?". I said no. A couple of hours later, we went to eat in Midtown. She was like, "okay, this is downtown right?". I was like, no. It really screwed with her mind. She was confused. I finally took her downtown that evening.

Last edited by willrusso; 04-25-2008 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
These last two posts highlight the diferences between a big sprawled city (Atl.) and a big city that has maintianed its development patterns (Boston). One feels bigger when driving around, the other feels bigger out of the car.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Some towns that are about 8 miles from Boston's center include Winchester, Quincy, Dedham, Waltham, and Lynn. Do any of those cities look anything like this?
Hahah no they don't. I'm from Winchester and it looks like this: Winchester, Massachusetts (MA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news

Quincy, Lynn and Waltham are all pretty big cities. Do they have skyscrapers? No. But they have urban character in the residential areas. Check out "street view" on google maps

Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Hahah no they don't. I'm from Winchester and it looks like this: Winchester, Massachusetts (MA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news

Quincy, Lynn and Waltham are all pretty big cities. Do they have skyscrapers? No. But they have urban character in the residential areas. Check out "street view" on google maps
Agreed. This is really a debate about density. Boston and its suburbs are some of the most dense in the country, whereas Atlanta is one of the most sprawled out urban areas in the country, with a notable amount of modern high-rises spread throughout. Nevertheless, insofar as high-density development engenders the true "big city" feel, Boston indubitably has the upper-hand compared to Atlanta.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:04 PM

208 posts, read 605,110 times
Here's something I found from the US Census Bureau:

Urbanized population (not the population of metro area, but the urban areas) and population density:

City of Boston: Population 589,141, Land area 47.34 sq. mi., Density: 12444.3 people per sq. mi.

Boston Urbanized Area: 4,032,484, 1736.18 sq. m., 2322.6 people per sq. m.

City of Atlanta: 416,425, 131.58 sq. mi., 3164.8 people per sq. mi.

Atlanta Urbanized Area: 3,499,840, 1962.58 sq. mi., 1783.3 people per. sq. mi.

Source: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2000/phc3-us-pt2.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.