Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 06:55 AM

107 posts, read 204,305 times

Advertisements

I recently mailed out several thank you notes to family and friends. Three (so far) were returned to me with a sticker that read as -
"Return to sender; not deliverable as addressed, unable to forward".

1st one was from a city in my state; the owner moved in to that home about 18 months ago, still lives there, gets other mail delivered just fine.

2nd one was also returned to me from a city in my state; the owner has lived in that home, at that same address for over 30 years, is not a snowbird. They DID receive my Christmas card.

3rd one was returned from out of state, lived at that same address for over 20 years, is not a snowbird, did not move.

A 4th one from out of state also had the sticker on the envelope, but their postal carrier saw it, knew they still lived at that address and delivered it anyway.

I wish I knew the how, when and where it has been determined that these people moved leaving no forwarding address when THEY NEVER MOVED AT ALL.

I received nothing but nasty remarks from my local post office when I questioned them - thank goodness for email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 07:01 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
Sometimes if the address gets smudged or something, they will return it because it is "not deliverable as addressed." Otherwise you would get a different error: recipient not at this address.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:26 AM

107 posts, read 204,305 times
All three that were returned to me came back as clear as the day I wrote all of them - no excuse for the post office to return these to me - especially since one of them DID receive the Christmas card, just not the thank you card - both addressed exactly the same.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:14 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV49 View Post
I recently mailed out several thank you notes to family and friends. Three (so far) were returned to me with a sticker that read as -
"Return to sender; not deliverable as addressed, unable to forward".

1st one was from a city in my state; the owner moved in to that home about 18 months ago, still lives there, gets other mail delivered just fine.

2nd one was also returned to me from a city in my state; the owner has lived in that home, at that same address for over 30 years, is not a snowbird. They DID receive my Christmas card.

3rd one was returned from out of state, lived at that same address for over 20 years, is not a snowbird, did not move.

A 4th one from out of state also had the sticker on the envelope, but their postal carrier saw it, knew they still lived at that address and delivered it anyway.

I wish I knew the how, when and where it has been determined that these people moved leaving no forwarding address when THEY NEVER MOVED AT ALL.

I received nothing but nasty remarks from my local post office when I questioned them - thank goodness for email.
I work in a law office part time and we constantly get the "Return to sender; not deliverable as addressed, unable to forward" label, especially on the certified mails. Our reason is because the client never answered the door to sign the certified mail. Yours is not certified mail, so the reason for return could be because the address is not readable.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:18 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV49 View Post
All three that were returned to me came back as clear as the day I wrote all of them - no excuse for the post office to return these to me - especially since one of them DID receive the Christmas card, just not the thank you card - both addressed exactly the same.
What might be clear as day to you, may not be to the postal carrier.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:26 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
You pushed a button. The postal service is not a "service". Yesterday I went to a postal substation at my local grocery store. The sign says it closes at 4 PM so I was there at 3:30 with plenty of time to buy stamps and send off a small package. There are two windows but only one was operating. There was a postal employee holding the door closed and asking what I wanted. There were five people in line -- not a big crowd. Certainly not a crowd if both windows were operating. I told him my purpose so he makes a face and lets me come through but closes the door again. He repeated that routine with everyone else that came to the door. If they were mailing something he took it and said he would take are of it. Only one other person was allowed inside while I was there so they stopped all counter business about twenty minutes early for no apparent reason other than they just didn't want to do the work.

Our postal mail sorters are either illiterate or they intentionally shuffle the mail to give it to the wrong house. I was told that my street doesn't have an assigned driver and it rotates to whoever has time. Only on Wednesday do we have the same delivery person. it is not unusual to have mail delivered as late as 8PM, after dark. Whoever does the sorting is never the mail deliverer. The local post office is either seriously under staffed or managed so poorly that it can't provide the service...or we need another post office. This is a growing community, 3rd largest in the state, with one post office and a part-time substation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.