U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 05:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 6,844,182 times

Advertisements

This is one of those “I know what I know but don’t know why know it” thing offered up by Bill Maher...

I know that living in a state that it shares with New York City creates experiences unlike any other one big city dominates a state like NYS dominates its staso that means in states that have one major city/metro area and it is the 800 pound elephant in the room

What could a NY stater (upstate.. not NYC etro) tell people in similiar situation like those listed below that would be along the lines of “sure, I know it is cute for IL to have to live with Chicago, but, honey, you have no idea what it is like to live with NYC

I am talking about places with these tpyes of relationship..

MA, BOS
MD, BAL,
GA, ATL
LA, NO
MI, DEY
IL, CHI
CO, DEN
WA, SEA
HI, HON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 06:00 PM

752 posts, read 428,558 times
It completely crowds out development in other cities in the state. Look at Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse compared to NYC.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,508,084 times
"It's more expensive in the big city. But it's a hell of a lot more fun."

Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 PM

58,684 posts, read 83,279,303 times
It is a Catch 22, as most of the “money” is in NYC/Downstate in terms of what it gives to the government versus what it gets back. With that said, it does kind of make Upstate feel like it is getting shortchanged in some way, but in reality, both need each other more than they might realize.

To be honest, NY State is pretty much a small country within a bigger country. Even certain requirements like getting your driver’s license varies depending on which part of the state you live in.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is a Catch 22, as most of the “money” is in NYC/Downstate in terms of what it gives to the government versus what it gets back. With that said, it does kind of make Upstate feel like it is getting shortchanged in some way, but in reality, both need each other more than they might realize.

To be honest, NY State is pretty much a small country within a bigger country. Even certain requirements like getting your driver’s license varies depending on which part of the state you live in.
I definitely don't think downstate needs upstate nearly as much as the other way around. NYC, Long Island, and the Hudson would be just fine without the rest of the state. Upstate without NYC metro would basically be a cold version of Alabama or Mississippi.

Coming from a Long Island family, Upstate is basically an after-thought unless you want an occasional Adirondack getaway or to go skiing a few times a year.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I definitely don't think downstate needs upstate nearly as much as the other way around. NYC, Long Island, and the Hudson would be just fine without the rest of the state. Upstate without NYC metro would basically be a cold version of Alabama or Mississippi.
Incorrect...Upstate’s GDP, if it was its own state would’ve on par with states such as Indiana, Arizona, Minnesota, etc. While manufacturing isn’t what it was(employment peaked in 1979 in the US), there are other industries in that part of the state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itories_by_GDP

Upstate also offers a lot of outdoors amenities and respite from the rat race of NYC as well.

It also offers more affordable options within the state for a range of living environments as well.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:57 AM

587 posts, read 359,489 times
Doesn't the city rely on upstate for its water? That's pretty important.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Doesn't the city rely on upstate for its water? That's pretty important.
Sure does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neversink_Reservoir

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catskill_Aqueduct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Aqueduct

Old 07-26-2019, 10:19 AM

7,327 posts, read 14,384,284 times
Besides NYC, the only other one I know the best is Louisville and Kentucky. It's a strange situation there. Louisville is the largest city in the state by far and runs a lot of the Kentucky economy. But Lexington is the state favorite. It's home to the flagship state university (UK). It's more important to the horse/bourbon identity of the state. And it serves as the shopping destination for basically the entire state outside of Louisville and the Northern KY suburbs of Cincinnati.

The state loves to prop up Lexington and give it literally everything it wants. OTOH, at best, it is indifferent toward Louisville, at worst, it is downright spiteful toward Louisville. Louisville is the bluest part of the state and the state hates it for that reason. Anything Louisville tries to do to be progressive and differentiate themselves from the state, the state shuts it down. (So much for "small government Republicans" when it doesn't suit their vision.) Plastic bag ban was banned. Minimum wage hikes were banned. Increased taxes for public transit were banned. The state government was almost ready to let University of Louisville lose its accreditation because the Governor is so anti-Louisville he was playing politics with the university's accreditation.

Idk if any other city/state relationship is this toxic. People from Louisville will adamantly assert that they're from Louisville and don't enjoy being labeled as "Kentuckians." In NYS, NYC kinda runs the politics because it's large enough as a Downstate region to control most of the state. Louisville is just large enough that the rural conservatives hate it, but not large enough to have enough influence on the state government. The IL/Chicago relationship is more akin to the NYS/NYC. Same with CO/Denver and I'd assume also AZ/Phoenix and NV/Las Vegas. I know for a fact that Las Vegas' hard swing to the left has changed NV for good, and that's largely due to the heavy Latin immigration and the out migration from SoCal.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:01 PM

6,341 posts, read 6,844,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Besides NYC, the only other one I know the best is Louisville and Kentucky. It's a strange situation there. Louisville is the largest city in the state by far and runs a lot of the Kentucky economy. But Lexington is the state favorite. It's home to the flagship state university (UK). It's more important to the horse/bourbon identity of the state. And it serves as the shopping destination for basically the entire state outside of Louisville and the Northern KY suburbs of Cincinnati.

The state loves to prop up Lexington and give it literally everything it wants. OTOH, at best, it is indifferent toward Louisville, at worst, it is downright spiteful toward Louisville. Louisville is the bluest part of the state and the state hates it for that reason. Anything Louisville tries to do to be progressive and differentiate themselves from the state, the state shuts it down. (So much for "small government Republicans" when it doesn't suit their vision.) Plastic bag ban was banned. Minimum wage hikes were banned. Increased taxes for public transit were banned. The state government was almost ready to let University of Louisville lose its accreditation because the Governor is so anti-Louisville he was playing politics with the university's accreditation.

Idk if any other city/state relationship is this toxic. People from Louisville will adamantly assert that they're from Louisville and don't enjoy being labeled as "Kentuckians." In NYS, NYC kinda runs the politics because it's large enough as a Downstate region to control most of the state. Louisville is just large enough that the rural conservatives hate it, but not large enough to have enough influence on the state government. The IL/Chicago relationship is more akin to the NYS/NYC. Same with CO/Denver and I'd assume also AZ/Phoenix and NV/Las Vegas. I know for a fact that Las Vegas' hard swing to the left has changed NV for good, and that's largely due to the heavy Latin immigration and the out migration from SoCal.
I was under the impression race was a factor in the divide that Louisville has with the state, that perceptions were that Louisville was more black than the rest of the state

I think this shows up in the Kentucky-Louisville sports rivalry and how the two schools are culturally far apart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or