U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 03:35 PM

6,179 posts, read 6,680,980 times

Advertisements

In most of our states, the premiere, highest profile city is usually the largest. There would be no question on..

Boston, Massachusetts
Chicago, Illinois
New York, New York
New Orleans, Louisiana
Seattle, Washington
Denver, Colorado

I would be hard pressed to pick the premiere city in Ohio with its three C's. But that state would be the closest to where the biggest city (Columbus) may not be considered as prime as Cleveland or Cincinnati.

I'd see California as a state having two premiere cities, Los Angeles and San Francisco, arguably the best example of two on the top in the nation.

Neither St. Louis nor Kansas City can claim Missouri. Philadelphia is Pennsylvania's largest city and highest profile one; Pittsburgh is not up there despite a solid 2nd place.

So are there any cities that fit the description I gave? Perhaps the best examples might be seen in foreign nations. Again, this is just a judgement call, but I would consider the following smaller of the two being the premiere city (comparing metro areas is fair game too) And, yes, each is just a judgement call on my part:

Rio de Janiero over Sao Paulo: Brazil
Tel Aviv (metro) over Jerusalem (metro): Israel
Barcelona over Madrid: Spain
Milan (metro) over Rome (metro): Italy

What US states have their premiere city (or metro) lower in population than another instate city (or metro)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 03:54 PM

2,994 posts, read 2,083,629 times
Miami or Miami Beach over Jacksonville.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:03 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,563,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami or Miami Beach over Jacksonville.
God I hope people donít realistically consider Jacksonville the largest city in Florida simply because itís borders are coterminous with its county.

.....city pop is worthless.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:23 PM

2,994 posts, read 2,083,629 times
OP did ask about “city” population and/or largest (size), not MSA or county so based on following, yes:

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...lation/cities/

I’m with you in terms of premiere but if we are sticking with the exact definition of largest city....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
God I hope people don’t realistically consider Jacksonville the largest city in Florida simply because it’s borders are coterminous with its county.

.....city pop is worthless.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-17-2019 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-17-2019, 04:33 PM

704 posts, read 341,478 times
San Francisco: California's premiere city

Old 08-17-2019, 04:48 PM

6,893 posts, read 3,817,207 times
Santa Fe is almost synonymous with New Mexico among many people but it ranks fourth in size.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:02 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,469,833 times
I think a lot of folks consider Madison the premier city in Wisconsin and not Milwaukee.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:02 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,308,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Santa Fe is almost synonymous with New Mexico among many people but it ranks fourth in size.
This is an interesting one. I'm not sure if it is considered the "premiere" city over Albuquerque or not but I imagine it could be for a lot of people.

When I think of New Mexico I think of Albuquerque but somebody who is arts oriented or is into rich resort towns probably goes with Sante Fe. Or maybe somebody in the public sector because of government.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:14 PM

206 posts, read 174,009 times
Nashville falls into this category although it is about to eclipse Memphis if it hasn't already in city category.

Both Carolina's fall into the same category as Missouri and Ohio in which you have multiple cities with significant reach in the state, but neither separates itself as the premier city.

I would and a lot of people outside of Kentucky consider Louisville to be the premier city, but a lot of Kentuckians probably consider Lexington to be that. Probably for the same reasons that some consider Madison and not Milwaukee to be the premier in Wisconsin.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:27 PM

1,707 posts, read 789,254 times
Montana isn't known for having cities, so I think people not from the Mountain West who don't travel much would associate it more with the capital city they had to memorize in school - Helena - than with Billings. Missoula probably also has more of a presence, with UM located there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or