U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 04:39 AM

186 posts, read 77,116 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about apartment complexes/condos that look roughly like these:

https://media.atre.yardi.com/1/10376...pg?w=300&h=225

https://media.graytvinc.com/images/6...partments1.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/j1qX...4968454.0.jpeg

These things seem to be sprouting up like weeds in the small, Midwestern college town that I live close to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM

188 posts, read 85,305 times
Those are so cookie cutter that I thought they were in KC by UMKC because they look almost identical.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 AM

4,702 posts, read 2,774,608 times
They look like every apartment/condo built in Milwaukee in the past 10 years. No idea how many there are but they all look the same.

360 degrees
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0510...7i13312!8i6656

Old 08-19-2019, 08:53 AM

3,044 posts, read 1,285,722 times
I lived in a building like that for a year; the walls were paper thin. A lot of these places look nice, but are actually pretty poorly built.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 AM

186 posts, read 77,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I lived in a building like that for a year; the walls were paper thin. A lot of these places look nice, but are actually pretty poorly built.
They're not built to last. They will likely be torn down 20-30 years from now.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:08 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,351,937 times
These horrible cookie cutter buildings are present in virtually every American city. The only exceptions I have seen are New York and Chicago and San Fran to an extent, and there are many reasons why.

DC is next because many facades show a bit of quality even though the buildings are crap.

Those renderings support why I love older American cities, they have so much beautiful quality architecture, however, its not always treated as such. My home city of Philadelphia demolished beautiful buildings daily replaced by these piles of metal vinyl crap. Its generally a very sad time for architecture / quality built structures.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:21 AM

7,346 posts, read 14,404,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
They're not built to last. They will likely be torn down 20-30 years from now.
Some are built better than other and some are more aesthetically pleasing than others. But you're right, there is no way these buildings will age nearly as well as older buildings. The way the pre-war buildings of major urban cities have stood for decades and even a century a more is astounding compared to these new-construction buildings.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:30 AM

7,974 posts, read 4,858,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
These horrible cookie cutter buildings are present in virtually every American city. The only exceptions I have seen are New York and Chicago and San Fran to an extent, and there are many reasons why.

DC is next because many facades show a bit of quality even though the buildings are crap.

Those renderings support why I love older American cities, they have so much beautiful quality architecture, however, its not always treated as such. My home city of Philadelphia demolished beautiful buildings daily replaced by these piles of metal vinyl crap. Its generally a very sad time for architecture / quality built structures.
I stayed in an AirBnB in one of these buildings, in DC. It was on the first floor, and I could hear every person who entered or exited the building, and the noise from the courtyard resembled a frat party.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:39 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

It’s so frustrating that a lot of the new construction in DC tends to be the box-cookie-cutter apartments and condos. Some developers have specifically tried to avoid this but there’s still far too many.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:57 AM

796 posts, read 319,254 times
They're building these all over the sunbelt. Hard to put into words exactly - they manage to be both flashy and boring at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.