U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 07:25 AM

30 posts, read 27,885 times

Advertisements

Alright everyone, let's battle it out. Here's the scenario:

You're a 25 year old with a fixed income of $50,000 no matter where you go in the US, and have the opportunity to move to any major city (let's say pop 300k+).

Your priorities are to be able to live in or near the center of the city and have the best quality of life possible for $50k. You'd like to meet other young people and date.

Texas? Great Lakes cities? The Southwest? Lower midwest? Appalachia?

Where do you go and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 07:43 AM

25 posts, read 5,815 times
Madison, Wisconsin, perhaps with a roommate.

Lots of young people, affordable, easy to get around without a car.
There aren't a ton of examples of what you're looking for.

I'd say DC also, but with 4 or 5 roommates, no car, and not downtown (who lives in Downtown DC?). You would still be stretching it though. DC is a very acceptable town to have roommates (this is the clincher because some cities are not good roommate towns) and you'd have the best dating opps. I live in Dallas, and while it's an affordable city, most apartments in the downtown or uptown areas would probably be out of your price range and roommates are hard to find. You'd likely be living in the outskirts, need a car, and with those requirements you wouldn't come out better than Madison.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:47 AM

4,434 posts, read 2,608,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papi-p View Post
Madison, Wisconsin, perhaps with a roommate.

Lots of young people, affordable, easy to get around without a car.
There aren't a ton of examples of what you're looking for.
Madison, WI < 300,000.

But you can come over to Milwaukee and have everything at your fingertips.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:55 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,199,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Madison, WI < 300,000.

But you can come over to Milwaukee and have everything at your fingertips.
Metro population is over 600k.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:10 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,142,240 times
Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta in that order.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:55 AM

57,337 posts, read 81,741,540 times
When you say a population of at least 300,000, is that for the city proper or for the metro area? If it is for the latter, you may be surprised by how many places you could go.

In terms of the former, Detroit would also work: https://www.apartments.com/downtown-...mi/under-1100/

Old 08-19-2019, 09:09 AM

5,809 posts, read 5,197,892 times
Pittsburgh would be a good option.

Philadelphia and Chicago are possible (as another poster mentioned), but you would need a roommate/s.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 AM

1,497 posts, read 902,113 times
This might be the first time I've ever heard someone say that living in downtown Chicago is "cheap".

Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,721,242 times
Using the generally accepted notion of not spending more than 1/3 of one's income for housing costs, that means a person with $50,000 in income would have a housing budget of $1,389 a month.

With that budget you could pretty much have your pick of the best that Downtown Albuquerque currently offers, including everything from studio lofts to 2 bedroom apartments.

One Central ABQ |

https://www.apartments.com/505-centr...t-204/0y9t3y1/

https://www.apartments.com/residence...ue-nm/gdxn12w/

You'd be surrounded by a downtown area rapidly on the rise. You'd have access to an awesome arts scene, many great restaurants, one of the nation's best microbrewery and craft distillery scenes, nightly live music, local theater and improv comedy, multiscreen movie theater, etc. You'd be a train ride away from Santa Fe and have access to the nation's best BRT line that is getting ready to launch this winter. The Albuquerque Rapid Transit line would quickly take you to the other urban areas of the city and the suburban shopping mecca of Uptown Albuquerque, which has most every store you would need.

At less than half that housing budget I have a very nice, new, 1 bedroom apartment and already enjoy all these things here in Downtown Albuquerque. I've never been happier in my life and I've never seen this amount of excitement for what is going on in Downtown Albuquerque right now and what is to come.

I'd invite anyone to take a look at what it offers.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:18 AM

7,117 posts, read 14,205,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
This might be the first time I've ever heard someone say that living in downtown Chicago is "cheap".
Compared to downtown living in the other comparable downtowns, yes, it's very cheap. Chicago's downtown urban peers are, undoubtedly, Boston NYC Philly DC LA SF Seattle. Out of those, only Philly is comparably affordable. Neither is cheap compared the generic American city, but they are cheap compared to the rest of that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or