Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 09:16 AM

8 posts, read 7,212 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am in my twenties and about to graduate college (sustainability area). I currently live in Las Vegas. I have a decent job right now that has been helping me get through college but this company is kind of unstable and there have been numerous rounds of layoffs in the past 4 years, since I work here. Plus, I will want to work in my field of study once I graduate next summer. I am tired of living in a desert city, as I love green and love seeing the season changes. Also, properties are way overvalued here.

My lease is done in January and I am considering moving by then, ideally with a job in hand. I have been doing a lot of research about towns and mid-size cities that may be the right fit for me but the more I research the more conflicted I become, so I thought maybe I should ask "real people" instead of reading all these "Top 10 up and coming cities in the US" which are made by who knows. Plus some of those lists are kind of ridiculous (San Francisco appeared in a few, what a joke).

I am trying to find that hidden gem town or small city that is beautiful and livable for someone young just getting started.

I am open to go anywhere in the country and the most important factors are:

- Have green and access to nature. Mountain landscape preferable.
- Have a decent job market and economic activity, preferably growing.
- Low crime
- Relatively affordable (and no ridiculous taxes)
- Not a huge city. I rather a town/conglomeration of towns or mid-sized cities
- Would make a good real estate investment if buying property

That can't be too much to ask, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Do you have any particular areas of the country or towns in mind?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:48 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie. View Post
..I am trying to find that hidden gem town or small city that is beautiful and livable

- Have green and access to nature.
- Have a decent job market and economic activity, preferably growing.
- Low crime
- Relatively affordable
- Not a huge city. I rather a town/conglomeration of towns or mid-sized cities
- Would make a good real estate investment if buying property

That can't be too much to ask, right?
Other than not a large city, all the rest of the criteria match everybody's dream location, which does not exist, or which once did but as since been overtaken and ruined. The problem is, the word ("the next greatest location") gets out too easily, spreads like wildfire, and over time, what was once great vanishes. I've personally witnessed the transformation one such location.

The real gems will never be spoken of, or at least not publicized like here for the masses and millions. They stay hidden so as to protect them, which is understandable.

Good luck and best wishes though.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:06 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,653 times
Greenville-Spartanburg, SC area may be worth a look. Chattanooga, TN, and perhaps the Johnson City area? Asheville, NC often pops up as well. Blacksburg, Roanoke, Lynchburg VA perhaps.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:54 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Greenville-Spartanburg, SC area may be worth a look. Chattanooga, TN, and perhaps the Johnson City area? Asheville, NC often pops up as well. Blacksburg, Roanoke, Lynchburg VA perhaps.
Agreed. As a Johnson City local, it's a nice small city without all the costs of Asheville. Employment is a major concern in this part of Appalachia.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:38 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Places that people don't really talk about too much like Morgantown or even smaller Shepherdstown in WV are worth a look. Morgantown has a solid economy and is a major college town, while Shepherdstown is a small town with a state college and isn't too far from Washington DC or Baltimore in the state's Eastern Panhandle.

https://www.morgantownwv.gov/
https://www.elocallink.tv/m/v/player...g_1welRev1_iwd
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6306...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

https://shepherdstown.info/
Corporation of Shepherdstown | Historic Shepherdstown, the oldest town in the state of West Virginia.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4303...6!9m2!1b1!2i37
https://www.mta.maryland.gov/schedule/marc-brunswick (commuter rail service)

Old 08-28-2019, 04:19 PM

178 posts, read 509,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Places that people don't really talk about too much like Morgantown or even smaller Shepherdstown in WV are worth a look. Morgantown has a solid economy and is a major college town, while Shepherdstown is a small town with a state college and isn't too far from Washington DC or Baltimore in the state's Eastern Panhandle.
Looking at college towns (like Morgantown) is probably a good idea for OP in general.

Here's a list for OP to sort through: The 50 Best College Towns to Live in Forever - College Ranker

Old 08-28-2019, 07:08 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
I would consider Manchester, NH, Athens, GA and Nashville, TN. They are very different with different pros and cons but all three seem worth considering for you.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:01 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the helpful comments. I have been looking around the Appalachian region a lot and I may continue to research more towns there. Some of the ones that pop in many "Top 10" lists are Greenville, SC and Asheville NC, but, surprisingly, housing prices are already high relative to their economy and salaries. I do feel we are experiencing another housing bubble at the moment so I would wait anyway before buying. I will continue to research. It is obviously tough to do any physical scouting from here, so thank goodness for internet...

Old 08-29-2019, 08:05 PM

Not particularly, although I have been looking around the Appalachian area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.