U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:03 PM

12,933 posts, read 9,026,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
For Canadian stand ins, sometimes its necessary. LIke I posted in the other thread one of the WORST stand-ins was Vancouver in Rumble in the Bronx, but a movie like that involving crime would be more realistically set in NYC and a main point in that movie is that the Bronx is a dangerous area. Just like Romeo Must Die was much more likely to take place in Oakland than in Vancouver.
I think I saw a still from that one. Fighting on a rooftop with the Northshore Mountains in the background
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 11:13 AM

1,394 posts, read 888,137 times
I really liked the horror movie "It Follows" which takes place and was filmed in Detroit. The film mainly takes place in poorer/middle class suburbs and residential parts of the city. Camera work is fantastic! Great movie if you're a horror fan, very original.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM

1,262 posts, read 3,024,581 times
Upstate New York is extremely beautiful but never features in Hollywood locales at all.

Someday, the rest of the world will discover the Finger Lakes... until then, they are a secret

Old 09-18-2019, 01:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 888,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Upstate New York is extremely beautiful but never features in Hollywood locales at all.

Someday, the rest of the world will discover the Finger Lakes... until then, they are a secret
Shhhhh! Don't let out our secret!!!

That being said, "The Quiet Place" was filmed in the Hudson Valley region of Upstate NY. Filming locations included Beacon, Pawling and further north in Little Falls. And it looks like "The Quiet Place 2" is going to be filmed in Western NY, Olcott and Akron.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 633 times
Houston

Old 09-20-2019, 01:14 PM

1,285 posts, read 677,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by textexan View Post
Houston
Elaborate.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:55 PM

4,556 posts, read 2,691,149 times
Quote:

I give you Canadian Bacon. A gem of a movie.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:25 AM

5,663 posts, read 7,109,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I think the Mountain West states are overrepresented relative to their populations because a lot of (especially sci-fi/action) movies have desert scenes. LA and NYC, definitely.

I don't think the Rust Belt shows up too much, besides Chicago. I can't remember the last thing I saw that was visibly set or filmed in Ohio or Michigan, and they both have over 10 million people.

BTW, Twin Peaks is in northeast Washington.
Gran Torino was filmed in the Detroit area.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:28 AM

5,663 posts, read 7,109,568 times
Quote:

Was "Misery" partially filmed in upstate NY?

Old 09-25-2019, 07:53 AM

28,541 posts, read 26,693,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I am a film fanatic and watch two films daily. I love locations and the atmosphere they bring. There's a lot of NYC and LA, some in Oregon(Twin Peaks), New Mexico, Nevada, Texas and Georgia. But I wonder that states like wyoming or utah or the smaller ones would have towns or surroundings that would be great location. A thriller of a couple moving in a new town. Or a horror set in some natural landscape.
No specific city, but I think suburban Sunbelt sprawl is virtually unrepresented in movies despite nearly half the country living there. Most movies set in the suburbs seem to be shot in California or in affluent suburbs around Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or