U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 08:10 AM

28,541 posts, read 26,693,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by textexan View Post
Houston
This might be the right answer. To be the 4th largest city in America, Houston has had few appearances on the big screen. The only movies I can remember being set and filmed in Houston are Jason's Lyric and Sidekicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

13,804 posts, read 22,341,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No specific city, but I think suburban Sunbelt sprawl is virtually unrepresented in movies despite nearly half the country living there. Most movies set in the suburbs seem to be shot in California or in affluent suburbs around Chicago.

Agreed.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

13,804 posts, read 22,341,819 times
I think some of the uniquely suburban areas of Atlanta should be featured in suburban-themed movies:

East Cobb
West Cobb
Alpharetta
Johns Creek
Dunwoody
Snellville
Stone Mountain
Lilburn
Duluth
Peachtree Corners
Peachtree City
Roswell
Alpharetta
Woodstock
Fayetteville
South Forsyth
Kennesaw
Marietta
Suwanee
Redan

Old Today, 01:29 PM

372 posts, read 630,543 times
I find the midwest is a bit underrepresented, but there are films here. Nebraska obviously had Nebraska and parts of the Ballad of Buster Scruggs were filmed out west (which is an undiscovered area of Nebraska. Its far out there, but parts are beautiful. The Pine Ridge by Chadron is gorgeous and the bluffs by Scottsbluff are kind of cool. For westerns it might be fun. I live in Iowa now and the only film i can think of that was filmed here was Field of Dreams. Minnesota has Fargo I guess but the twin cities are large enough for more.

Old Today, 01:50 PM

372 posts, read 630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Most movies with Rust Belt themes tend to focus on Pennsylvania or Ohio.

Unstoppable, Out of the Furnace, and Warrior all have a Rust Belt theme or setting and were filmed mostly in Pennsylvania, with some parts in Ohio. Pennsylvania is actually a bit overrepresented in movies, Pittsburgh in particular because of film tax credits I believe.

Atlanta has a lot of movies FILMED there but not set there. I personally believe if a movie can be set where its filmed and the setting isn't critical, then there's no reason for the city to be a stand in for someplace else. For example Snitch with Dwayne Johnson was filmed in Shreveport, Louisiana, as a stand in for Jefferson City, Missouri, while Den of Thieves was filmed in Atlanta as a stand in for Los Angeles (!!). There's no reason why Snitch couldn't have just been set in Shreveport and why Den of Thieves couldn't have just been set in Atlanta.
I find it odd that places are just stand ins. I agree why not make it set there. Its like how when the movie Nebraska was made they threatened to go to Kansas. At that point why give it such a location specific title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or