U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2019, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Somewhere on this 3rd rock from the sun
529 posts, read 739,350 times
Reputation: 715

Advertisements

I am a film fanatic and watch two films daily. I love locations and the atmosphere they bring. There's a lot of NYC and LA, some in Oregon(Twin Peaks), New Mexico, Nevada, Texas and Georgia. But I wonder that states like wyoming or utah or the smaller ones would have towns or surroundings that would be great location. A thriller of a couple moving in a new town. Or a horror set in some natural landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Chi > DC > Reno > SEA
1,768 posts, read 834,874 times
Reputation: 2211
I think the Mountain West states are overrepresented relative to their populations because a lot of (especially sci-fi/action) movies have desert scenes. LA and NYC, definitely.

I don't think the Rust Belt shows up too much, besides Chicago. I can't remember the last thing I saw that was visibly set or filmed in Ohio or Michigan, and they both have over 10 million people.

BTW, Twin Peaks is in northeast Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
8,105 posts, read 12,530,860 times
Reputation: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I think the Mountain West states are overrepresented relative to their populations because a lot of (especially sci-fi/action) movies have desert scenes. LA and NYC, definitely.

I don't think the Rust Belt shows up too much, besides Chicago. I can't remember the last thing I saw that was visibly set or filmed in Ohio or Michigan, and they both have over 10 million people.

BTW, Twin Peaks is in northeast Washington.
Most movies with Rust Belt themes tend to focus on Pennsylvania or Ohio.

Unstoppable, Out of the Furnace, and Warrior all have a Rust Belt theme or setting and were filmed mostly in Pennsylvania, with some parts in Ohio. Pennsylvania is actually a bit overrepresented in movies, Pittsburgh in particular because of film tax credits I believe.

Atlanta has a lot of movies FILMED there but not set there. I personally believe if a movie can be set where its filmed and the setting isn't critical, then there's no reason for the city to be a stand in for someplace else. For example Snitch with Dwayne Johnson was filmed in Shreveport, Louisiana, as a stand in for Jefferson City, Missouri, while Den of Thieves was filmed in Atlanta as a stand in for Los Angeles (!!). There's no reason why Snitch couldn't have just been set in Shreveport and why Den of Thieves couldn't have just been set in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Somewhere on this 3rd rock from the sun
529 posts, read 739,350 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Most movies with Rust Belt themes tend to focus on Pennsylvania or Ohio.

Unstoppable, Out of the Furnace, and Warrior all have a Rust Belt theme or setting and were filmed mostly in Pennsylvania, with some parts in Ohio. Pennsylvania is actually a bit overrepresented in movies, Pittsburgh in particular because of film tax credits I believe.

Atlanta has a lot of movies FILMED there but not set there. I personally believe if a movie can be set where its filmed and the setting isn't critical, then there's no reason for the city to be a stand in for someplace else. For example Snitch with Dwayne Johnson was filmed in Shreveport, Louisiana, as a stand in for Jefferson City, Missouri, while Den of Thieves was filmed in Atlanta as a stand in for Los Angeles (!!). There's no reason why Snitch couldn't have just been set in Shreveport and why Den of Thieves couldn't have just been set in Atlanta.
Lol, funny I worked in Canada- Toronto and Vancouver and they always pretend to be NYC(Toronto) and any random U.S city like Seattle(Vancouver). I often wonder too- what's the necessity to make it an American city, especially when it doesn't have any impact on the story or dialogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 09:32 AM
 
1,391 posts, read 764,367 times
Reputation: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
some in Oregon(Twin Peaks)
Twin Peaks is Washington. North Bend mostly. A lot of the locations are all within relatively close driving distance. I've been to most of them. The diner there (Twede’s Cafe) is basically covered with photos of the filming done there.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/t...eal-life.html/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,959 posts, read 6,460,989 times
Reputation: 12720
Downeast Maine would be a great place to film, there was an attempt to film a movie in Eastport Maine but the rate the water levels change with the tides made it impossible with water levels that change by up to 28 feet in just over 6 hours.

It Chapter Two was supposed to take place in Derry Maine but was filmed in Ontario Canada.

The movies Harper Valley P.T.A., Milk Money and the hallmark channel film The Christmas Spirit were partially filmed in my town of Lebanon Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,674 posts, read 55,775,628 times
Reputation: 15734
A pet peeve of mine, kinda dumb, but a pet peeve nonthekess, is how in the movies, highways between 2 major cities are like empty one-lane-on-each-side highways and the gas station is always some old, run down place with a greasy spoon diner-how cliché and how 1930s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 11:58 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
8,105 posts, read 12,530,860 times
Reputation: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Lol, funny I worked in Canada- Toronto and Vancouver and they always pretend to be NYC(Toronto) and any random U.S city like Seattle(Vancouver). I often wonder too- what's the necessity to make it an American city, especially when it doesn't have any impact on the story or dialogue.
For Canadian stand ins, sometimes its necessary. LIke I posted in the other thread one of the WORST stand-ins was Vancouver in Rumble in the Bronx, but a movie like that involving crime would be more realistically set in NYC and a main point in that movie is that the Bronx is a dangerous area. Just like Romeo Must Die was much more likely to take place in Oakland than in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 12:00 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
8,105 posts, read 12,530,860 times
Reputation: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
A pet peeve of mine, kinda dumb, but a pet peeve nonthekess, is how in the movies, highways between 2 major cities are like empty one-lane-on-each-side highways and the gas station is always some old, run down place with a greasy spoon diner-how cliché and how 1930s.
I think its because it they were to use a real gas station like Shell for example, they would have to pay royalties to that company. But yes I don't understand why every cross country trip is mostly on back roads.....and especially why every drive between Los Angeles and Las Vegas must involve a two-lane deserted highway through the desert when Interstate 15 is clearly the quickest and fastest route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,933 posts, read 9,026,679 times
Reputation: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Lol, funny I worked in Canada- Toronto and Vancouver and they always pretend to be NYC(Toronto) and any random U.S city like Seattle(Vancouver). I often wonder too- what's the necessity to make it an American city, especially when it doesn't have any impact on the story or dialogue.
Because it does have an impact on the story and dialogue.

Too much rewriting of scripts. You would also have to explain why so many people have American accents in a Canadian city.

Scripts are approved, then production can start.

If you were doing a crime drama, the whole police/court system would have to be changed in the script.

Imagine if Breaking Bad was filmed in Canada and they decided to have it take place in Canada...well of course that could never happen, because the script wouldn't make sense in a Canadian context.

One other aspect, according to a friend who has worked in Hollywood the last 40 years in the film business, is that the people putting up the money don't always want people to think to much about it being filmed out of the country. Much harder to hide today, but I can remember knowing a film was filmed here in Vancouver, and the ONLY way you could tell, was a the very end of long credits where I would recognize local production/sound/ etc companies.

Today with the internet, it's all out there for everyone who wants to know, to know.

They also fear that it's a risk to have it set in Canada because they feel the majority of the American public would have trouble relating. I personally believe this is ridiculous, since foreign films and TV are watched a great deal in the US. Mind you, this was an attitude that was told to me 30 years ago. Perhaps they have more faith in their public now.

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-09-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top