U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 10:29 AM

6,273 posts, read 6,726,161 times

Advertisements

________ is the flattest city anywhere and no city could possibly be as hilly as_____.

That is what conventional wisdom says. But at times CW gets it wrong

* is there a city/metro area that people think is completely flat, but it isnít? Which one? And where are the hilly parts located

* Is there any city/metro area that people think is virtually hilly throughout but actually has significant stretches of flat land? It may be one where hills are visible anywhere, but the flat areas are the truly the dominant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:57 PM

755 posts, read 1,916,220 times
Omaha - I'm sure many people just assume it would be Great Plains flat - but it is actually pretty hilly, including in parts of downtown where you "realize" it more.

Old Today, 02:31 PM

483 posts, read 151,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Omaha - I'm sure many people just assume it would be Great Plains flat - but it is actually pretty hilly, including in parts of downtown where you "realize" it more.
Des Moines and Kansas City are similar, IMO.

Old Today, 04:21 PM

427 posts, read 165,224 times
Many somehow still think Denver is in the mountains, when it is in fact quite flat within city limits.

Old Today, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yes. And the other thing about Omaha: it comes across as a much bigger city than you wold think it would be....with a downtown that is really surprising on that score.

Old Today, 05:01 PM

Quote:
In eastern Iowa, I don't think people would expect the number of hills in Dubuque, Davenport and Iowa City.

Old Today, 05:06 PM

LA is far, far too big and known to "surprise" anyone, but I think there are a lot of people who don't grasp how much the flat basin (and the valley as well) define the city. I mean, it is known, of course, and nothing is more iconic than the basin spread out endlessly below Griffith Observatory. But there is something deceptive about LA in the sense that it is a city not known for hills but for mountains and those mountains are part of the landscape everywhere, standing out in the distance (well actually in the not-so-distance).

A previous poster mentioned Denver, an excellent example....flat and removed enough from the Rockies (but confused with being hilly due to them). But strangely with LA whose mountains are merely the Coast Range, the mountains stick up so much more due to proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.