U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM

998 posts, read 447,486 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old guy who is a senior in college as an IT major. I live in NJ and I want to move out West after college. My IT skills are not that great and that sucks in NJ, because I couldn't get a paid internship out here. The only experience I have is this one crappy semester-long unpaid internship. I am a part time office assistant at a law firm and I exaggerated on my resume that I did IT work.

I am applying to both IT jobs and jobs outside my major (that would accept me). I am using Indeed and my college's portal called Handshake. I applied to a couple of places in Seattle, Portland, and New Mexico.

What place out West has the least amount of competition where I will have more chance? New Mexico I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 06:04 PM

18,011 posts, read 4,286,045 times
I heard its hard to find good jobs in New Mexico.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:39 PM

4,643 posts, read 2,808,225 times
For the least competition relative to the number of jobs, go to a place where there are a ton of jobs in your field but also high costs that keep some of the competition away.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I heard its hard to find good jobs in New Mexico.
Yeah it's true. I did some job hunting already and New Mexico did not have a ton of good jobs. It kept showing me minimum wage jobs that actually pay the EXACT 2018 minimum wage of New Mexico, which is $7.50 and I have no clue why it is showing an outdated minimum wage when New Mexico raised their minimum wage for 2019.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
For the least competition relative to the number of jobs, go to a place where there are a ton of jobs in your field but also high costs that keep some of the competition away.
I thought higher cost of living areas are more competitive. Based on your comment, California is the perfect example. Cali has numerous jobs in my major and has a high cost of living. Places like Seattle might be more competitive.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:56 PM

6,999 posts, read 3,869,088 times
Your timing might not be good if we go into a recession as some have predicted. Get in the door, even if it is in NJ or some other place, get experience, make yourself essential, ride out the storm. As a new IT graduate whose skills are un-great (but untested, too) you need experience to compete.

One thing I have noticed about New Mexico, admittedly anecdotal and not proveable, is that some employers pay attention if you are moving to the state because you have family or relatives here. I know that sounds weird but I've noticed it more than once. This is a very family focused place and if two candidates are nearly equal, my guess is the family connection tips the scale just a little. Probably not a hiring policy but part of the fabric of the state.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 PM

18,011 posts, read 4,286,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Yeah it's true. I did some job hunting already and New Mexico did not have a ton of good jobs. It kept showing me minimum wage jobs that actually pay the EXACT 2018 minimum wage of New Mexico, which is $7.50 and I have no clue why it is showing an outdated minimum wage when New Mexico raised their minimum wage for 2019.
I would think you would be qualified for more than NM McJobs with a IT degree but idk maybe you should try applying at one of the labs in ABQ.Just a guess.Best of luck,buddy.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Your timing might not be good if we go into a recession as some have predicted. Get in the door, even if it is in NJ or some other place, get experience, make yourself essential, ride out the storm. As a new IT graduate whose skills are un-great (but untested, too) you need experience to compete.

One thing I have noticed about New Mexico, admittedly anecdotal and not proveable, is that some employers pay attention if you are moving to the state because you have family or relatives here. I know that sounds weird but I've noticed it more than once. This is a very family focused place and if two candidates are nearly equal, my guess is the family connection tips the scale just a little. Probably not a hiring policy but part of the fabric of the state.
I don't have family in New Mexico, but I wonder if I could make it out there anyway...

Old 09-09-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would think you would be qualified for more than NM McJobs with a IT degree but idk maybe you should try applying at one of the labs in ABQ.Just a guess.Best of luck,buddy.

Lol "McJobs"... = That's basically me in NJ since I can't even land a paid internship.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:47 AM

21,408 posts, read 30,842,599 times
You might try some of the more "secondary" cities like Salt Lake City, Boise or Colorado Springs and as wild cards Des Moines and Omaha which are doing quite well economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or