U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 AM

57,718 posts, read 82,211,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
The current city in live in (Rochester NY area) is perfect for me. Low housing cost coupled with higher than average wages for my career field makes this area a great "bang for MY buck". The amenities are great. We spend a lot of time outdoors and this area is amazing for that. Not really concerned with theaters, museums, etc. Pro and college sports teams are near by. Plus major cities like NYC and Toronto are close as well.

If I were to move too most other places I feel like my quality of life would drop dramatically. I paid around $160k for a 1900 SF house in a great school district. I'm sure that price would triple or more in a lot of larger more expensive cities. And based on what I've seen within my company/industry the wages would by no means justify the increased cost of living. I feel like right now I am in the "sweet spot" for COL compared to my household income.

If I had to relocate to somewhere and continue my same quality of life I'm guessing maybe somewhere in the Midwest? If I moved south my wages would decrease too much and if I moved out West or the Bos-Wash corridor housing cost and expenses would increase to much.
I have similar sentiments, but just an hour and 15-30 minutes down the road to the east.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-11-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 10:13 AM

3,926 posts, read 1,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What city provides the best value for YOU? That is to say; which city has the best combination of amenities and cost of living for a person with your field career level and household size? A lot of threads tend to focus on median incomes and housing costs, but those medians are often skewed by large presence of certain industries in those cities.

Letís say I can afford a house in the 750k range in Pittsburgh. If I relocated to Chicago, I might be able to afford 800k. In SF, I might be able to afford up to 1mil, based on local salaries. While Iíd earn significantly more in SF, my standard of living would drop considerably. In Chicago, Iíd certainly get less house than in Pittsburgh, but I could still get a very nice place, in a great neighborhood, and have much better city amenities. Simply examining median incomes and housing costs could lead one to conclude that SF is the best option for my family, but itís actually at or near the bottom.

Which cities would provide YOU with the best value?
I see what you're saying with some of your comparisons. What an individual makes in their geographic area has a different balance than someone a mile away from them. But, as in the San Francisco example, some metros have such astronomically high costs of living, that they will have to make quite a bit over their metros average salary just to afford the most modest home.

I am 54, retired, and have no debts. Still, an area's buying power means a lot to me. That, and the way my wife and I have budgeted/spent/invested our money, is why we are in that position. That's why I wouldn't want to live in any area just because "we can afford to". I look for balance, always. The metros I've found that have had the best balance for what my wife and I look for in a place to live; in no particular order (cost of living, buying power, economy, recreational assets):

Large Metros (3m +): Philadelphia, Chicago, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Atlanta, Dallas/Ft. Worth

Medium Metros (1-3m): Charlotte (where we live now and are going to stay), Nashville, Orlando, San Antonio, Kansas City

Small Metros (under 1m): Asheville NC, Charleston SC, Knoxville TN, Fayetteville/Springdale AR, Roanoke VA, Madison WI, Omaha NE, Albuquerque NM

Old 09-11-2019, 06:51 PM
Status: "South Carolina: real home of the confederacy" (set 10 days ago)

5,071 posts, read 3,130,819 times
Good subject, I don't think there's a right answer, it just depends on the person. To me, a place like Chicago or Atlanta would have value. Big city amenities at pretty low prices, but of course many would say those cities are expensive. It's kind of like Seattle, most would think it's crazy expensive, unless you're coming from NYC or SF

****Edit****

Didn't read directions. I"m in software sales, so mine is dependent on the company. Some accoutn for COL, some don't. If I were smart, I would move back to Texas with my Seattle salary. That could absolutely happen.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 09-11-2019 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 07:31 PM

18,013 posts, read 4,290,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Good subject, I don't think there's a right answer, it just depends on the person. To me, a place like Chicago or Atlanta would have value. Big city amenities at pretty low prices, but of course many would say those cities are expensive. It's kind of like Seattle, most would think it's crazy expensive, unless you're coming from NYC or SF

****Edit****

Didn't read directions. I"m in software sales, so mine is dependent on the company. Some accoutn for COL, some don't. If I were smart, I would move back to Texas with my Seattle salary. That could absolutely happen.
what part of Texas?

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

5,509 posts, read 2,940,288 times
Indianapolis or Pittsburgh would be our choice if moving back east.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

19 posts, read 2,620 times
I feel like Phoenix is a pretty good deal but is starting to become a bit expensive. New Orleans is weird- I live in uptown and it is very expensive but I think other areas are way more affordable. It has decent amenities but infrastructure is trash. I love Memphis, good bang for your buck, but usually folks hate it or love it (kinda similar to NOLA in that regard). Knoxville is a good value, beautiful area, and has okay amenities as well. I think Louisville and Lexington have some good stuff and are good values as well. Best of luck!

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM
Status: "South Carolina: real home of the confederacy" (set 10 days ago)

5,071 posts, read 3,130,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
what part of Texas?
Likely Houston or Dallas. Small town Texas doesnít do it for me and Iím not hip enough for Austin. Lots of home for very little money on Texas. Of course if no family connections Iíd go somewhere like Pittsburgh I think

Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

892 posts, read 1,327,756 times
In terms of supply chain(pharmaceutical distribution/manufacturing) I guess Indianapolis or Pittsburgh? If anyone can name better bang for my buck cities in this field help a brotha out. Could sure go for something more than $14/hr that's not in a cheap AF city lol.

Old Today, 05:38 AM

46,021 posts, read 37,126,320 times
Do I HAVE to live in a big city? Can I live just NEAR one but not IN one? LOL

I currently live in Tyler, TX. It's a little less than 2 hours east of Dallas. We go to Dallas about once a month, because of the airport and because we have friends and family who live in the metroplex of Dallas/Fort Worth. "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."

But that's not a slam on Dallas in particular. I don't like ANY big city, except possibly London but London is so expensive I can't actually imagine living there.

Anyway, I enjoy being just a short drive from a major metro area but living in a smaller metro area. Tyler's metro area has a population of about 250,000. But Tyler is also a well heeled, white collar type of small city. For a small city it's size, it has GREAT shopping, dining out, hospital and doctor options, etc. The cost of living is affordable. Housing is at least 30 percent less expensive in the Tyler metro than in the Dallas metro - and Dallas is one of the more affordable major metro areas in the US already.

If you could even find a 2600 square foot house on nearly an acre in a major metro area, it would probably cost double what ours cost now that I'm thinking about it - because of the size of the lot. I mean, I guess you could buy a McMansion in just about any metro area but it's the lot size that would be hard to replicate. (Our house is not a McMansion, just for the record.)

I don't work outside the home. My husband makes a very good income and there's just the two of us since our kids are all grown. So living in a smaller metro area adjacent to a large one, with a nice income, makes us "wealthy" I guess by local standards, though we don't go around asking other people what they make or what their household income is. Anyway, living where we live gives us the opportunity to save for retirement, which is very important to us, while living in comfort and without having to fight traffic and congestion every day.

Old Today, 07:37 AM

6,667 posts, read 12,821,381 times
Best bang for my buck as a professional with a young family who wants to live in an urban environment with a strong diverse economy and good public schools, I have struggled to find an improvement over where I currently live , Southwest Minneapolis. The northside of Chicago is probably the best alternative. Sure there are cheaper places to live - Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, etc. None of them match Minneapolis for jobs and schools though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.