U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM

218 posts, read 84,608 times

Advertisements

Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 11:32 AM

21 posts, read 4,055 times
Hah my bad on the spelling! I was merely noting though that it had similar weather to the Phoenix area (albeit it could be a bit cooler according to the only thing I looked at on google hah); and the poster said that Phoenix was too cold and the two are fairly similar in climate for the most part. As for the original post, there aren't many places in the US that have gentler winter than Phoenix or Vegas- I'd stick by Hawaii or California- there are parts, like Death Valley, that have no people really, or much of anything, that are cheaper.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,853,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
East Tennessee, western North Carolina or north Georgia........very limited winter, nothing like up north.
hose are areas and ones I would love to be for the moderate climate. But the OP is actually in SC now and wanting to move somewhere warmer...s/he isn't coming from up north. And if Phoenix is too chilly? A previous poster suggested Mexico - that's probably the best suggestion if the temperature gauge really is "Phoenix is chilly". Or maybe Costa Rica or Belize.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:25 PM

5,530 posts, read 3,462,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I am just like you. Cannot stand long periods of cold. I'm from upstate NY so I know what cold and snow is. Never want to live in a place like that again. At least not year round.

I moved to Southwest VA. A city called Lynchburg. It's got easy access to the Blue Ridge Mountains and lots of biking/hiking trails that connect right to downtown. COL is dirt cheap. I mean seriously dirt cheap.

Research Lynchburg a little bit and see if it's something you'd want to try. Sure, it gets a little chilly here during the winter months, but nothing like the long, cold, miserable, dreary winters up in the northeast.
He already lives in Landrum, SC along the NC/SC border in the foothills of the mountains. I would say Lynchburg, with average highs in the mid/upper 40's and average lows in the mid/upper 20's during Dec-Feb, is probably just as cold if not colder than Landrum, he might as well stay in Landrum!

The "Shangri-La" he is looking for in the US in the winter at least, doesn't exist, except for maybe the Hawaiian islands. He wants a place to be as warm as south Florida is in the winter, but have 3-4,000 foot mountains to climb/hike.

It's either Hawai'i or Costa Rica!

Old 09-12-2019, 12:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 4,338,000 times
How about Palm Springs, or nearby cities in the Mojave Desert (Palm Desert, Yucca Valley, etc.). They are all very close to mountains, and have tons of interesting hikes. Daytime highs in winter are typically in the 70s or at least high 60s. That's warmer than Vegas, but similar to Phoenix, so if Phoenix is too cold, I have nothing else to offer.

Last edited by saibot; 09-12-2019 at 01:54 PM..

Old 09-12-2019, 05:07 PM

477 posts, read 240,667 times
I currently live in upstate SC (past 3 years)I never said PHX and Vegas were too cold, just chilly during winter at night. Its fine. I was saying if its better to just stay in South Florida if I want to avoid being cold, but then its boring there since I'm not into water sports.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:12 PM

9,511 posts, read 18,592,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I currently live in upstate SC (past 3 years)I never said PHX and Vegas were too cold, just chilly during winter at night. Its fine. I was saying if its better to just stay in South Florida if I want to avoid being cold, but then its boring there since I'm not into water sports.
How about Hawaii? It has a nicer climate range than South Florida and it has magnificent mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpdUUxgh6Q0

Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 PM

477 posts, read 240,667 times
I should have mentioned, Cost of living is a factor. California and out of the country are not In the budget. Sorry for being so picky, but its what it is. I thought about northern CA at one point, but all the good tech jobs are in the Bay area and I'm not putting up with that traffic.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 4,338,000 times
The warmest (desert) parts of California are NOT expensive, but you hadn't mentioned a tech job and needing to live close to a city for work...that changes everything.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:20 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,232,640 times
You got wide elevation change, you get wide temp swings. Throw cost of living factors into it and you either need to make a lot more money or learn to wear layers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or