U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 PM

477 posts, read 240,667 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate for the winter or longer to avoid cold, so south florida seems the best fit , but Its also pretty much waterlocked and not trying to drive a day to get to mountains for hiking, which I do every weekend.

Vegas and Phoenix has great hiking nearby as I've been to both a few times as well, but they get pretty chilly in the winter time.

Have you sacrificed not living near your favorite mountains for a warmer climate? Where did you go? How long were you there? I'm not considering anywhere else as they're either too cold in winter or too expensive(cali).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 09:32 PM

7,059 posts, read 3,895,039 times
Maybe Las Cruces

Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 AM

21 posts, read 3,776 times
Ummm, if Vegas and Phoenix are chilly for you in the winter you're gonna have some trouble- Reno has good outdoorsy stuff I've heard, but similar temps... I'd try looking at Tuscon- not quite as cold in the winter nor quite as hot in the summer. Idk much about New Mexico aside from Alb and Santa Fe- but I think they'd be too cold for you if Phoenix is too cold for ya. You could live in Atlanta and drive to Chattanooga but Atlanta may be a bit cold as well in the winter. I used to live on Kauai- and it meets your requirements but it is kinda expensive with low amenities. Sorry I can't really think of more- you would have better luck I think in southern mexico, and other places in latin america. Best of luck!

Old 09-12-2019, 07:55 AM

21 posts, read 3,776 times
I lied- just looked it up- Tuscon is about the same/ever colder sometimes due to higher elevation. Sorry! Depending on how far you're willing to drive you could just live as south as possible and drive to the mountains! Death valley, California is pretty cheap, but there's no real city that I know of.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Status: "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." (set 13 days ago)

2,734 posts, read 684,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I am looking to relocate for the winter or longer to avoid cold, so south florida seems the best fit , but Its also pretty much waterlocked and not trying to drive a day to get to mountains for hiking, which I do every weekend.

Vegas and Phoenix has great hiking nearby as I've been to both a few times as well, but they get pretty chilly in the winter time.

Have you sacrificed not living near your favorite mountains for a warmer climate? Where did you go? How long were you there? I'm not considering anywhere else as they're either too cold in winter or too expensive(cali).
Phoenix and Vegas are too cold for you?? If so, then you are going to have to learn to hike somewhere other than mountains, learn a new hobby (like swimming/surfing/etc), move somewhere like Hawaii/Cali or another country, or deal with a temp you find a little chilly in winter. I mean, Phoenix has an average low of 45 and high of 67 in its coldest month. That is a little chilly, sure, but certainly not unbearable. I don't think you are going to find warmer to go along with mountains, at least not somewhere outside of Cali/Hawaii.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:53 AM

1,330 posts, read 810,049 times
Quote:

I am just like you. Cannot stand long periods of cold. I'm from upstate NY so I know what cold and snow is. Never want to live in a place like that again. At least not year round.

I moved to Southwest VA. A city called Lynchburg. It's got easy access to the Blue Ridge Mountains and lots of biking/hiking trails that connect right to downtown. COL is dirt cheap. I mean seriously dirt cheap.

Research Lynchburg a little bit and see if it's something you'd want to try. Sure, it gets a little chilly here during the winter months, but nothing like the long, cold, miserable, dreary winters up in the northeast.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 AM

7,119 posts, read 6,369,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
I lied- just looked it up- Tuscon is about the same/ever colder sometimes due to higher elevation. Sorry! Depending on how far you're willing to drive you could just live as south as possible and drive to the mountains! Death valley, California is pretty cheap, but there's no real city that I know of.
First, it's Tucson, not Tuscon. Secondly, Tucson is a great place as there are four mountain ranges within 20-30 minutes of town. Thirdly, in the mountains around Tucson you'd have to get to about 6-7,000 feet to routinely hit cold weather and or snow in winter. Most people aren't hiking the distances that it would take to get up to that elevation as on most trails in the Tucson area you are looking at over 20 miles round trip to get that high.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:34 AM

87,422 posts, read 103,570,212 times
You could live in Denver. It doesn't get *that* cold there (here) except for a short snap or two in the winter. Seriously. Lots of warm (50s-60s for a high) sunny days even in mid-winter.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 AM

7,059 posts, read 3,895,039 times
Quote:
OP might need to find a different winter hobby if Phoenix is too chilly -- or wear a sweater.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 AM

6,680 posts, read 7,609,183 times
East Tennessee, western North Carolina or north Georgia........very limited winter, nothing like up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or