U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 01:18 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,841,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentIpromise View Post
LOL.... no one considers Minneapolis when considering Chicago. They consider exburbs in Indiana. Additionally, no one considers Boston when considering NYC. They consider NE Jersey. Your LA comparison is accurate.

Telecommuting, remote working and satellite offices have decreased the need to live within city and metro boundaries.
Sure they do. Not the majority of people, but a lot.

Me included. If I ever move, the question will be one inner city vs. another. If Manhattan, core Brooklyn, etc., were too expensive, I'd think central Philly or central Boston. I'd never consider the outskirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 01:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 505,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
In these cases you get what you pay for. In the case of San Bernadino, it's not safer than LA. Little to no public transportation, traffic is a mess out there too. Much hotter. Cheaper housing but I wouldn't want to live 63 miles from LA.
When we left LA in 2011 we looked at what we could afford if we stayed. We were basically looking in the IE with our budget for a house back then. At that point it was no longer worth it.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:10 PM

1,797 posts, read 909,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
In these cases you get what you pay for. In the case of San Bernadino, it's not safer than LA. Little to no public transportation, traffic is a mess out there too. Much hotter. Cheaper housing but I wouldn't want to live 63 miles from LA.
I don't know about all this. Traffic is only bad in the IE during the weekday and particularly rush hour. On the weekends it's pretty clear outside of a couple of freeway stretches. Only LA itself has really bad traffic seven days a week. If you work somewhere in the IE or OC, then San Bernardino and a few cities (north Fontana, north Rialto, Rancho Cucamonga, Eastvale, etc.) around there aren't bad at all. I can certainly see the value in the interior Greater LA area for many people. It's gotten large enough to really start supporting itself and it shows in the economic growth. I know people out that way who never even venture into LA County except for a concert or sporting event.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:37 PM

13,383 posts, read 13,731,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Are you joking? There is a ridiculous amount of evidence.
Not really.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM

13,383 posts, read 13,731,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
There is substantial evidence actually. Just a Google search away.
I did and I have. Take Chicago for example, which has made news a lot about its falling black population... from 2005-2015, of those who left the city, nearly 40% of AA's just went to the greater metro area. Of the 60% or so remaining, another half or so just moved to other cities and metros within Illinois. The last 30% was out of state, but that total was split mostly between other Midwestern states, though some did end up in the South. Some cities will have different splits to different areas, but you get the idea. This idea that most black people who leave Northern cities are all moving to Southern states is simply false and has been wildly overblown by certain people and media.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 726,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I did and I have. Take Chicago for example, which has made news a lot about its falling black population... from 2005-2015, of those who left the city, nearly 40% of AA's just went to the greater metro area. Of the 60% or so remaining, another half or so just moved to other cities and metros within Illinois. The last 30% was out of state, but that total was split mostly between other Midwestern states, though some did end up in the South. Some cities will have different splits to different areas, but you get the idea. This idea that most black people who leave Northern cities are all moving to Southern states is simply false and has been wildly overblown by certain people and media.
Not at all overblown nor completely false. I've met my fair share of Black Chicagoans in my state ( Sipp). I have a relative & friend from Chicago area and he himself moved from the Sipp to Texas. I think what you find is a steady pattern of some of those relocating to the burbs then farther to other nearby locations then the South. Old example: A map of the reverse migration or new migration from 95-00 even shows Mississippi gaining around 8K from Illinois ( Primary Chicago metro).

Last edited by Sharif662; 09-18-2019 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: Additional info.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 AM

128 posts, read 47,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Not at all overblown nor completely false. I've met my fair share of Black Chicagoans in my state ( Sipp). I have a relative & friend from Chicago area and he himself moved from the Sipp to Texas. I think what you find is a steady pattern of some of those relocating to the burbs then farther to other nearby locations then the South. Old example: A map of the reverse migration or new migration from 95-00 even shows Mississippi gaining around 8K from Illinois ( Primary Chicago metro).
You do understand that between greater NY, LA and CHI there's over 40 million people... Henceforth, it will seem like you 'bump into' someone from there quite often.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 AM

2,906 posts, read 3,259,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
average economies, reaching capacity. crowded. lessened immigration/dispersed immigration/critical mass immigration in other metros

Why go to LA if you can go to cheaper, no traffic San Bernadino or Vegas?

Why go to NYC if you can go to cleaner, better economy Boston? Or cheaper, Philly?

Why go to Chicago if you can go to Safer, better economy Minneapolis?
Because San Bernadino is...San Bernadino? Is this a real question?!

Old 09-19-2019, 12:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 726,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentIpromise View Post
You do understand that between greater NY, LA and CHI there's over 40 million people... Henceforth, it will seem like you 'bump into' someone from there quite often.
You do realized that I'm speaking on Black community wise right? There's more connections to Chi than NY or L.A to my state. Therefore I'm bumping into them quite often.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:48 PM

128 posts, read 47,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
You do realized that I'm speaking on Black community wise right? There's more connections to Chi than NY or L.A to my state. Therefore I'm bumping into them quite often.
You do understand that migration trails were due north? I.e. Mississippi to Illinois, Alabama to Indiana, Carolina's to New York. Therefore that's your Illinois to Mississippi connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or