U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 726,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentIpromise View Post
You do understand that migration trails were due north? I.e. Mississippi to Illinois, Alabama to Indiana, Carolina's to New York. Therefore that's your Illinois to Mississippi connection.
Tennessee to Indiana & Alabama to Michigan. I know this very well. Therefore, I'm deeply aware of Illinois to Mississippi, since i live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 03:24 PM

926 posts, read 939,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I did and I have. Take Chicago for example, which has made news a lot about its falling black population... from 2005-2015, of those who left the city, nearly 40% of AA's just went to the greater metro area. Of the 60% or so remaining, another half or so just moved to other cities and metros within Illinois. The last 30% was out of state, but that total was split mostly between other Midwestern states, though some did end up in the South. Some cities will have different splits to different areas, but you get the idea. This idea that most black people who leave Northern cities are all moving to Southern states is simply false and has been wildly overblown by certain people and media.
Moving the goal post fallacy.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:59 PM

128 posts, read 47,553 times
Large cities are primarily made up of the middle class and poor. Increasingly, these 3 metros don't support that social economic class.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:46 AM

13,383 posts, read 13,731,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Moving the goal post fallacy.
How, exactly?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:47 AM

13,383 posts, read 13,731,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Not at all overblown nor completely false. I've met my fair share of Black Chicagoans in my state ( Sipp). I have a relative & friend from Chicago area and he himself moved from the Sipp to Texas. I think what you find is a steady pattern of some of those relocating to the burbs then farther to other nearby locations then the South. Old example: A map of the reverse migration or new migration from 95-00 even shows Mississippi gaining around 8K from Illinois ( Primary Chicago metro).
Anecdotes aren't evidence. And why would you be using migration trends from almost 25 years ago?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:20 AM

1,263 posts, read 726,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Anecdotes aren't evidence. And why would you be using migration trends from almost 25 years ago?
Anecdotes often support the reality of the topic.

Because it STILL ongoing trend despite the passage of time. Most of the Blacks that relocate to my state for retirement generally from Illinois.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:49 AM

6,671 posts, read 8,269,195 times
Cities grow when good jobs increase. If a city doesn't like business or treating it with respect the jobs go where they are liked. It's simple as that

Old 09-21-2019, 10:29 AM

13,078 posts, read 6,734,483 times
While I agree with much of what has been written, I don't think NYC's population has been shrinking. At least it hasn't been most of the time people have tried to make such a point. While its true more people have been moving out of the city than moving into the city, when you count the number of people born in the city, the population has actually increased over the years.

Old Today, 12:18 AM

33 posts, read 7,168 times
Quote:
Millennials Continue to Leave Big Cities

Cities with more than a half million people collectively lost almost 27,000 residents age 25 to 39 in 2018, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of the figures. It was the fourth consecutive year that big cities saw this population of young adults shrink. New York, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Washington and Portland, Ore., were among those that lost large numbers of residents in this age group.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/millenn..._copyURL_share

Old Today, 12:23 AM

56,177 posts, read 75,322,423 times
The mayor turned his back on nypd
Chicago has given its streets to the gangsters
La has become sanctuary to many violent people and one zillion hobos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or