U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 10:10 AM

42 posts, read 10,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why Are America’s Three Biggest Metros Shrinking?

After a post-recession boomlet, the New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago areas are all seeing their population decline.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...inking/597544/
I thought this was an interesting take....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 AM

1,473 posts, read 921,233 times
Cost of living, taxes, extreme left leaning politics, better opportunities elsewhere, better weather (CHI & NYC), traffic/congestion. And probably about another dozen reasons.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:22 AM

3,129 posts, read 2,184,959 times
High state (and, if applicable, city) taxes / SALT limits and housing. As telecommuting options increase people are fleeing NYC and Chicago for warmer weather climates. LA, along with many other West Coast cities, has become a haven for the homeless which does not appeal to the NIMBY crowd.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-12-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 10:27 AM

11,058 posts, read 7,178,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeauty202 View Post
I thought this was an interesting take....

Probably because those areas grew over the last few decades, to a large degree, from immigration and immigration may have slowed for the demographics that were accounting for those areas growth.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:28 AM

6,341 posts, read 6,844,182 times
I'm guessing the loss of immigrants who are now allowed in in surprisingly small numbers. immigrants fed a lot the growth in those three cities among many other.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:40 AM

9,816 posts, read 9,894,828 times
I would also suggest they aren’t. LA and NY are shrinking based on 1 year of census estimates. Those are quite unreliable year/year and bounce around a lot. So I would look over the 2010-2018 range (or at least average over like 4 years rather than looking at one year.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:51 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,678,020 times
average economies, reaching capacity. crowded. lessened immigration/dispersed immigration/critical mass immigration in other metros

Why go to LA if you can go to cheaper, no traffic San Bernadino or Vegas?

Why go to NYC if you can go to cleaner, better economy Boston? Or cheaper, Philly?

Why go to Chicago if you can go to Safer, better economy Minneapolis?

Old 09-12-2019, 10:55 AM

23,246 posts, read 24,487,474 times
For LA and NYC, a lot of it boils down to the median income not getting much higher, but the price of housing has gone up an incredible amount. This is a pretty big deterrent whether or not you are a native, domestic transplant, or foreign immigrant. Most of the people I know who have left NYC, which includes people of all three categories, cited the really price of housing as a large part of why they did so.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 AM

3,129 posts, read 2,184,959 times
there is quite a drop off in urban /beach amenities moving from LA to San Bernardino and Vegas.

I can tell you I moved, by choice, for a better lifestyle from SoCal (San Diego, not LA) to Miami....better restaurants, better nightlife, more modern/cosmopolitan, closer to where I vacation (NYC, Europe and Latin America) with a hub airport with more direct/nonstop flights, walkable, while keeping a warm weather beach (with warmer ocean) oriented city without as big a homeless problem. The fact it is slightly less expensive, due primarily to no state income tax, was just a cherry on the top. I thought about LA but figured it was time for a change after 33 years out West, with no regrets. My only issue, so far, is not being able to stay up for the duration of Yankee games when they play on the West Coast (small price to pay).

My situation might not be applicable to many/all, but I figured I would share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
average economies, reaching capacity. crowded. lessened immigration/dispersed immigration/critical mass immigration in other metros

Why go to LA if you can go to cheaper, no traffic San Bernadino or Vegas?

Why go to NYC if you can go to cleaner, better economy Boston? Or cheaper, Philly?

Why go to Chicago if you can go to Safer, better economy Minneapolis?

Last edited by elchevere; 09-12-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 AM

7,361 posts, read 4,042,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Cost of living, taxes, extreme left leaning politics, better opportunities elsewhere, better weather (CHI & NYC), traffic/congestion. And probably about another dozen reasons.
Not the whole picture but retirees are bailing out of these places in droves...if they can. I've never met a retiree whose fondest wish was to move into one of those cities for retirement and I've met a bunch who were willing to sell everything to get out of those places. On the other hand, there are many retirees who can't wait to move to Phoenix and Las Vegas and Texas, in general. The weather and costs are deciding factors, and possibly following family members who already moved away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or