U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,534,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is why I don't understand the underlying premise behind this thread. 24-hour service has nothing really to do with transit quality. Like 2% of ridership is interested in a 3 AM bus ride.

Tokyo has no 24-hour service, while Detroit apparently has a number of routes.

Yeah, it is up to the people of the city to decide if its worth it. Probably a lot of routes are not, while some are. Its always an ongoing thing for the tranist agencies to determine, although they should probably pay more attention to what really is useful. I have a feeling some just want to claim it for publicity. It would be nice to see numbers by hour but I doubt we'll ever get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:25 AM

223 posts, read 173,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Yeah, it is up to the people of the city to decide if its worth it. Probably a lot of routes are not, while some are. Its always an ongoing thing for the tranist agencies to determine, although they should probably pay more attention to what really is useful. I have a feeling some just want to claim it for publicity. It would be nice to see numbers by hour but I doubt we'll ever get that.
I doubt cities like Cleveland and Detroit are doing it for publicity, more doing it so the working poor, who can't afford a car, have an opportunity to get to places of employment. You know, kind of one of the big premises behind public transportation.

As for being subsidized, well it is public transportation after all, so yes it is subsidized. But I would venture to guess less subsidized than all the additional lanes of highways that have been added over the years that barely see any traffic on them late night/early morning.

I'll use the I-76 widening from two to three lanes in each direction in western Summit County (Akron) because Ohio, at the state level is one of the worst when it comes to this. Total, it's going to be a seven year project for about a five mile stretch with a cost of $110 million, barring overruns. As somebody who has driven that stretch both before and now during (and finally portions are now complete). This project has caused easily 10 times more traffic backups in the three plus years since it started than I've dealt with in the 6 plus years I drove it pre construction. The completed portion is nice because there will pretty much never be a traffic back up again but is $110 million worth it to make what was a 25 minute commute to downtown Akron from Wadsworth down to 20?

It just irks me how a lot of people expect public transportation systems to be ran as private, for profit businesses, yet seem to have little issue paying for these $100 plus million highway projects that are also unnecessary for 22 hours a day. As for that same stretch I referenced, I used to get off work at 1 am. Most nights I may see maybe a total of 100 cars/trucks on the road (both directions) on that 5 mile stretch. That's now one lane per car every quarter mile. But spending a minuscule fraction of the cost to support a bus that may have only have 10 people on it (though it being the only realistic option those 10 people have to get to work) somehow is a big issue, smh.

Old Today, 12:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,534,240 times
Lol. It doesn't cost anything for a highway to be unused at night. but most highways have significant truck traffic at night anyway. It does cost a lot to run buses and trains at night if they are not being used much. I don't know of any highways that go mostly unused for 22 hours a day as you stated above. I am not claiming that the 24 hour service is not necessary at all - I'm just saying it should be monitored for use and adjusted as necessary. Which of course makes complete sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or