U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 03:07 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,531,746 times

Advertisements

List the cities you know that currently have at least some 24 hour mass transit options (bus or rail).

This started from another thread discussing transit ridership, where it was mentioned that Pittsburgh is going to be adding some new 24 hour service, that it hasn't had for at least a decade.

Ranking of transit systems, by ridership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,204 posts, read 1,522,286 times
Los Angeles - Metro Transit has 24 hour transit.

LA Metro Bu has many night OWL routes usually on the main streets. Often combines with other routes that feed into these main street routes or zig zag changes it routes to cover more ground. Buses usually come every 30mins to 1 hour.

LA Metro Rail usually starts at 3:45am-4:15am - depending on the rail line. Last trains are around 1am. Friday/Saturday nights last train is about 2:00-2:15am to accommodate weekend nightlife since bars close at 2am.

Currently this is as close to 24 hour rail service LA at the moment. They usually do maintenance work during those off hours and use single track to operate on the other track I think.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Los Angeles - Metro Transit has 24 hour transit.

LA Metro Bu has many night OWL routes usually on the main streets. Often combines with other routes that feed into these main street routes or zig zag changes it routes to cover more ground. Buses usually come every 30mins to 1 hour.

LA Metro Rail usually starts at 3:45am-4:15am - depending on the rail line. Last trains are around 1am. Friday/Saturday nights last train is about 2:00-2:15am to accommodate weekend nightlife since bars close at 2am.

Currently this is as close to 24 hour rail service LA at the moment. They usually do maintenance work during those off hours and use single track to operate on the other track I think.

Thats's pretty good for the rail lines. I'm used to DC Metrorail which quits pretty early, and doesn't even start up again on weekends until 7 or 8 am. So thats a 6 to 7 hour gap in service. I'm suprised LAs rail lines start that early given DC Metro gets so much better publicity on here.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:50 PM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,204 posts, read 1,522,286 times
I was surprised, too.
Here are links to LA Metro's rail lines schedules if you wanted to see hours and frequency.
Metro Red/Purple https://media.metro.net/documents/b4...8dbca1e7e9.pdf
Metro Gold Line https://media.metro.net/documents/9a...70294abd7e.pdf
Metro Expo Line https://media.metro.net/riding_metro...images/806.pdf
Metro Green Line https://media.metro.net/documents/de...c4e87d8d30.pdf
Metro Blue Line has been closed most of this year - so no schedule.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:30 PM

1,576 posts, read 951,969 times
Chicago has 2 CTA ("L") train lines that run 24 hours; the Blue (goes to O'Hare airport) and the Red line. If I'm not mistaken there's also a few buses that run overnight as well.

Looks like NYC and Chicago are the only two cities in the U.S. that have full 24 hour service on rail lines (though NYC has the most lines operative 24 hours, Chicago only has 2 lines)

https://www.zicla.com/en/blog/which-...lic-transport/

Old 09-14-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Chicago has 2 CTA ("L") train lines that run 24 hours; the Blue (goes to O'Hare airport) and the Red line. If I'm not mistaken there's also a few buses that run overnight as well.

Looks like NYC and Chicago are the only two cities in the U.S. that have full 24 hour service on rail lines (though NYC has the most lines operative 24 hours, Chicago only has 2 lines)

https://www.zicla.com/en/blog/which-...lic-transport/

Yep thats pretty much just what I expected, although didn't know the details. Theres's got to be some other cities that have some 24 hour bus service though I think. but probably not very many.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:40 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,618,934 times
Austin's metro bus has 5 nightly night owl routes that make it 24/7. It basically runs from downtown north, east, SW, SE, and south.

The metro rail in Austin is not great and basically caters to those that work downtown from east and north Austin, starting at the morning rush, and ending in the evening just after the evening rush. On friday's/saturday's, the rail runs late until 1am if I am not mistaken.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:24 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,883,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
List the cities you know that currently have at least some 24 hour mass transit options (bus or rail).

This started from another thread discussing transit ridership, where it was mentioned that Pittsburgh is going to be adding some new 24 hour service, that it hasn't had for at least a decade.

Ranking of transit systems, by ridership
The limited routes will be for the partiers and with crime and the homeless population on the rise the routes will not be safe. Pittsburgh has to stop catering to the twentysomethings or the city will keep shrinking.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:09 AM

14,559 posts, read 7,823,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
(though NYC has the most lines operative 24 hours, Chicago only has 2 lines)

That's really the answer. The New York City subway system is 24x7. Chicago only has very limited service. Enormous Los Angeles only runs 30 overnight bus routes.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:16 PM

418 posts, read 175,360 times
Philly has 24 hour bus service/rail combination on some lines also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or