U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 AM

46,073 posts, read 37,184,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Please, Texas ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Coming from California, Texas actually felt less “American,” if you can even believe it. All over the state, there are lots of trashy, ramshackle-looking areas — it is definitely not a clean, neat-looking place like Iowa or Michigan. And to be quite honest, I did not find people in Texas to be nearly as amicable and polite as they’re purported to be — quite the contrary, actually. People in Arizona, of all places, seem friendlier and more pleasant, on average.
I moved to Texas 25 years ago when I was in my thirties and I slowly fell in absolute love with this state. I say "slowly" because the first year I hated it, the second year I just didn't hate it, but by the third year I was in love and that love has deepened over time.

To me, the people in Texas as very helpful and friendly - as long as the other person is doing their part. Texans in general (I know there are exceptions but I'm talking generally) are independent by nature, and have a strong "can do" attitude. They will drop everything to help someone else - as long as that person is trying. But otherwise, see ya later buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 06:08 AM

You know what - I think I left out Maryland and I've lived there twice!

I really enjoyed living in Maryland. I am definitely a Mid Atlantic fan and a Chesapeake Bay area appreciator! I miss the fall colors in Maryland along the bay. I miss the crabs and I miss stopping and buying a "baker's dozen" crabs on my way home, like some people buy a hamburger or pizza on the way home! I miss being in close proximity to some of the best cities in the United States - great weekend trips.

Also, I think Maryland has a really cool state flag.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:46 AM
Status: "South Carolina: real home of the confederacy" (set 14 days ago)

5,099 posts, read 3,142,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Chicago: Comprehensive rapid transit*, a strong local identity and culture, European ethnics

DC: Comprehensive rapid transit*, free museums, a lot of actually important national history

Reno: Smaller and more intimate environment making it easier to make lasting friends, clear skies and little precipitation (though not as much that way as you'd think), Old West villages and ghost towns, Nevada in general just being a weird place with an independent mindset

*Yes, we have buses, but many only run for part of the day and there's no easy-to-understand map plastered everywhere saying "here's how you get from where you are to downtown, here's how you get to X neighborhood"
Agree with your dc stuff. Missed going to the museums or just jumping on the metro to head into town. Also getting steamed crab from that place down by the docks. Yum

Old 09-15-2019, 10:29 AM

961 posts, read 492,751 times
Here are my former homes and what I miss about them:

1. Sacramento, CA: I enjoyed fog in winter and the sprinkly days of winter. I wish we had snow as a child. I used to think as a child that those who got snow were lucky and was mega jealous of my cousin in Colorado. Most of my memories were going to Arden Fair for shopping (mom loved the shopping) and CalExpo for the State Fair and WaterWorld. I loved going fishing with Grandpa

2. Glendora, CA: I miss the skate park even though I never skated. I loved the chilled San Gabriel Mountains in winter. I loved going to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

3. Greeley, CO: I loved the people I met, including my best friend. I remember walking around Sandborn and Glenmere park forever until my feet were sore listening to Death Metal.

4. Golden, CO: COLLEGE! I loved living in Golden. It is by far my favorite town in Colorado with the foothills and Clear Creek. So many good memories.

5. Williston, ND: I don't actually miss anything about my 9 month tenure in the oil fields. It was good money, but I have hardly anything good to say about Williston. It felt so cold and distant.

6. Long Beach, CA: I loved the trip I made with my wife and all of the exploring state. After a 9 year absence from California, a lot had changed. I did all of the exploring of California that I never did as a child. I loved the Pike.

7. Huntington Beach, CA: I loved going to the beach every other day to take my kid to play. I loved walking around central park a hundred times.

8. Duluth, MN: Out of all of the places I have lived, Duluth was my favorite. I loved the weather. I loved the city and the neighborhoods. I was most active here out of every place I had ever lived. Swimming and fishing in summer, hiking and skating in winter. If my job situation did not devolve as much as it did, I would have never left.

9. Beaverton, OR: I really like it here, with some reservations. I will miss snow, but am enjoying the start of rainy season. The variety of food is off the charts. Portland's punkish and grungy feel is totally my jam. I love Mt Hood and the Willamette River to death.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 AM

1,023 posts, read 524,840 times
Omaha...I really liked the Old Market and the zoo is amazing.

Chicago...I really loved most things about Chicago. I miss the energy of the urban areas, the museums, the shopping, and most of all working out along the lakefront. I miss the years of looking out my window at the lake.

We lived in Springfield MO for a while...it's hard to think of anything I miss about that...maybe the proximity to some great natural beauty in the Ozarks and driving down to brunch at Chateau on the Lake.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:31 AM

7,443 posts, read 15,547,490 times
I do miss the last house we had - we designed it ourselves, it was on the North American Flyway for migrating birds with absolutely gorgeous views of a lake and the mountains behind. But, in the long run, I could not live 45 minutes from a very small town - not with some of my health and eye issues, which worsened rapidly during the 7 years we lived there.

I do wish we could have picked the house up and planted it where we are now.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

290 posts, read 65,533 times
I've only lived in NC except for very brief stints in Kentucky - never again! - & London (yes, England). I used to miss Charlotte but the crime there is so bad now I'd never consider moving back. As for the Triad where I was born and bred: I certainly don't miss that house on the opposite side of the city from where we're currently residing in. It was haunted by the former tenant, Mary. I'll return to this thread once we move out West, to a 420 state (my fiance's dream. I just want to be closer to deserts and mountains and my future tech job).

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Since I'm basically a happy person no matter where I live, I miss elements of most of the places we've lived over the years - and that's a lot of places.

Thankfully, I've incorporated a lot of what I liked into my current life - I've been able to do that while still living in a place that I love. So it's all good.

Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM

50 posts, read 21,336 times
Live in Texas now but miss this of the Midwest:

Basements... having a finished basement was a game changer.

Bigger yards... downside of DFW is tiny yards and being packed in 5 feet from your neighbor.

Friendly neighbors... though this may be a big city thing and seeing how DFW is full of transplants.

Change of seasons... of course nonstop days of 95 degree weather in Sept may be getting to me now

Old Today, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbait73 View Post
Live in Texas now but miss this of the Midwest:

Basements... having a finished basement was a game changer.

Bigger yards... downside of DFW is tiny yards and being packed in 5 feet from your neighbor.

Friendly neighbors... though this may be a big city thing and seeing how DFW is full of transplants.

Change of seasons... of course nonstop days of 95 degree weather in Sept may be getting to me now
I sort of like basements but I understand why they're not common here in Texas. But I'll tell you something else - I am in my fifties and my husband is in his sixties and we are selling a house right now because it has stairs. It's not that we can't navigate them - it's that we don't WANT to navigate them. The new house has one level and OMG I love that about it.

If you lived in a smaller city or town in the Midwest, it stands to reason that you had a larger lot. I live in a smaller city in Texas (Tyler) and have an acre lot.

It does sound like your issues come mostly from moving to a huge, sprawling metro area.

As for the weather - yes, unfortunately it's still hot in Texas in September. (Though this September has been hotter and drier than is typical). But hang on - change is coming! Next week in fact! Our fall weather is typically from October through December rather than September through November. And spring in Texas is absolutely gorgeous. And we typically only have about six weeks of "winter" weather, which may or may not include snow flurries or even a light dusting of snow.

Don't get me wrong - I used to live in Ohio and still visit family up there often, and there is a lot to like about the Midwest, especially in the summer and fall. One thing I love is that it really seems like "Americana" throughout the Midwest. I mean like apple pie, county fairs, etc. And it's not that you can't get that here - because you certainly can. But it's Texas and Tex Mex style. I love it but sometimes I want some maple syrup and some rhutabaga pie made by some Amish people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or