U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:02 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,065,266 times

Advertisements

NW NJ: the appalachian foothills, the mom and pop restaurants, the candor of the people, the ability to traverse the NE in a weekend, the ethnic melting pot that is the NYC suburbs, the jewish delis and authenic NYC pizza, the Jersey shore, the boardwalk

North Central WI: living on a lake, fishing after school, having the area explode with people in the summers, snowmobiling to friends houses across the lake, ice fishing while coming inside to watch football and warm up

Chicago: not much to be honest? Love the downtown area. This is more a reflection of my life stage, not the area itself

Twin Cities: The state fair, the lakes and cabins up north, the urban lakes, the importance of summer, sitting by the fire after coming in from the cold, the organization and orderliness of the cities, the ease of navigating downtown, the skyway system, taking the ultra clean/cheap/wifi enabled bus into work where I could gather my thoughts, my family and close friends, my dad making chili on a Fall Sunday, Christmastime (and entertaining out of town family during the holidays), the health conscious populous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:09 AM

46,073 posts, read 37,184,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
NW NJ: the appalachian foothills, the mom and pop restaurants, the candor of the people, the ability to traverse the NE in a weekend, the ethnic melting pot that is the NYC suburbs, the jewish delis and authenic NYC pizza, the Jersey shore, the boardwalk

North Central WI: living on a lake, fishing after school, having the area explode with people in the summers, snowmobiling to friends houses across the lake, ice fishing while coming inside to watch football and warm up

Chicago: not much to be honest? Love the downtown area. This is more a reflection of my life stage, not the area itself

Twin Cities: The state fair, the lakes and cabins up north, the urban lakes, the importance of summer, sitting by the fire after coming in from the cold, the organization and orderliness of the cities, the ease of navigating downtown, the skyway system, taking the ultra clean/cheap/wifi enabled bus into work where I could gather my thoughts, my family and close friends, my dad making chili on a Fall Sunday, Christmastime (and entertaining out of town family during the holidays), the health conscious populous
Nice!

Not saying you did this, but one thing I notice in this thread is how difficult it is for people to only talk about what they miss - to stay positive. That's sort of sad, so I really enjoyed reading your descriptions of interesting places.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

733 posts, read 284,533 times
Tampa: the beaches, year-round theme parks.

Atlanta: So many entertainment options. Also, this is where I went to college.

Quad Cities IL/IA: The people, low COL, driving distance to a bunch of great midwestern cities, and the climate (I'm more of a cold-weather fan). They get some pretty fun festivals every now and then. Also, this was an important "game-changing" part of my life - the first time I actually lived on my own. I learned so much about myself and made a lot of good friends, one of which is going to be my best man when I get married next year. So this place pulls at the heartstrings a little bit.

Lawrenceburg, TN: Eh....to keep this thread positive....it was cheap and had no traffic lol.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

46,073 posts, read 37,184,744 times
Well, the thread's topic is what we miss about former homes, not what we don't miss - LOL. I could go off on several places that I've lived but I'll just keep my mouth shut and my fingers still!

Old Today, 10:20 AM

13,308 posts, read 24,711,463 times
1. Inland Empire, CA (Corona, Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga): the food (fast, Mexican; mostly Baker's and Miguel's Jr.), the hardworkingness of the people and also their ability to lay back, the positive memories of growing up, exploring the fringes, KCAL-FM, the palm trees, the bright blue sky when it's not smoggy, the hills and mountains (including the snowy ones), the proximity to Los Angeles/beaches (and everything wonderful about that place).

2. Ridgecrest, CA (NE Kern County, Mojave Desert): how cheap housing/rentals are, the bright blue sky/frequent sunshine/interesting winters, the never-ending views of desert and mountains, Lake Isabella/Kernville, the simple ways people entertain themselves (including some of the drama), the stars at night (nothing like I've seen anywhere else), the feelings of absolute isolation in the desert, knowing almost everybody, the slower pace, and road trips out of town to "more interesting" places like Bakersfield or Lancaster.

3. Spokane, WA (Eastern WA): pretty much everything. The trees/forests, the weather/climate, the river and its several falls, Lake Coeur d'Alene, Lake Pend Oreille, the enveloping mountain views, the ZOMG friendliness of the people (and how welcoming they are), the relative cheapness, the complete disregard people have for work as a main facet of life, Spokane Chiefs hockey, the lack of traffic, that it feels isolated from the rest of the country culturally, and that it feels about 30 years behind culturally.

4. Seattle, WA: the trees/forests, the water everywhere, Mount Rainier, Mount Baker, and the Mariners.

Old Today, 02:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 4,254,813 times
SF Bay Area: great weather, high-achieving educational environment, college towns, excellent bookstores, world-class arts, culinary diversity, upscale groceries, Asian/Asian-American cultures, beautiful natural areas, the beauty of SF itself

Central NJ (Mercer County): high-achieving educational environment, stately architecture, upmarket stores, strong historical sensibility, access to NYC and Philadelphia

Central OH (Columbus): artsy/bohemian city neighborhoods such as German Village, good LGBTQ+ community, easy to drive in, relatively low cost of living, reasonably progressive mentality

Western NY (Buffalo): interesting city ethnic neighborhoods, access to Toronto, good theater scene, decent arts overall, easy to drive around, the Delaware Park area, Allentown and Elmwood strip, architecture (art deco, FLW, etc.), low cost of living, a couple of great bookstores, progressive mentality

Central AL (Birmingham): mostly good weather, delicious Southern cuisine, beautiful natural areas, interesting flora and fauna, quirky small towns, some elegant enclaves such as Mountain Brook, low cost of living

Europe (Iberia): more relaxed culture in some areas, amazing food, good weather, walkable neighborhoods, lots of quality public transit, reasonably progressive mentality, historical sensibility

SE Wisconsin (Milwaukee): great parks and lakefront, easy to drive around, interesting ethnic neighborhoods, artsy/granola neighborhoods, elegant neighborhoods and mansion districts, very good food scene, interesting flora and fauna, good arts and film scene, relatively low cost of living, quirky history, interesting historical architecture, reasonably progressive mentality, access to Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or