U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Midwest get short changed on people's perceptions of it?
Yes 40 66.67%
No 20 33.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:17 PM

986 posts, read 373,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas is not solidly Midwest compared to Iowa. Most of the western 1/3 of the state is much more western. Only the NE 1/3 of Kansas is solidly Midwest overall.
I don’t think Western Kansas has been seen as Western in near 150 years. It’s been quiet Plains farmland ever since the frontier moved and the cowboys left. Goodland, KS looks like everyone’s favorite Midwestern square Clark Kent’s hometown.

That said, I said Iowa was more Midwestern. I was just remarking that Kansas is probably the next most stereotypical Midwestern state for most people. When people think the South, they think the Deep South first. Well Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas probably fill that void for the Midwest for most non-Midwesterners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 10:00 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,520,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I donít think many people consider western South Dakota the Midwest- even many residents of the state.
The entire state may be grouped with the Midwest, but western South Dakota is not midwestern.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:26 PM

21,028 posts, read 36,403,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I donít think Western Kansas has been seen as Western in near 150 years. Itís been quiet Plains farmland ever since the frontier moved and the cowboys left. Goodland, KS looks like everyoneís favorite Midwestern square Clark Kentís hometown.

That said, I said Iowa was more Midwestern. I was just remarking that Kansas is probably the next most stereotypical Midwestern state for most people. When people think the South, they think the Deep South first. Well Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas probably fill that void for the Midwest for most non-Midwesterners.
Goodland, KS is definitely much more of a West town than a Midwest town. It is located well to the west of 100 degrees longitude, a good divider of where the West begins. The frontier population density, semi-arid climate, and more irrigation derived agriculture are far more common in the West . Southwest Kansas has far more in common with the OK and TX panhandles than anything in the actual Midwest.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:38 PM

107 posts, read 41,407 times
What gives? Most are saying that Eastern Colorado is in the Mid-West, but some are claiming Western Kansas to be in the West, when it is in fact east of Colorado?

Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 AM

231 posts, read 90,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
What gives? Most are saying that Eastern Colorado is in the Mid-West, but some are claiming Western Kansas to be in the West, when it is in fact east of Colorado?
Well that's the thing.

These government assigned regions just clump up random states. Even though the culture itself can be split within the state itself.

Northen Illinois is not the same as southern illinois.

Western Colorado is not the same as Eastern.

And same for a lot of middle states where topography/river/lakes etc kind of separate regions.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:25 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,142,465 times
What Chicago Person correctly said...

I don't think there is a state (other than the couple smallest states), that is the same from north to south, from east to west. Wisconsin, where I'm currently living, differs quite a bit in all four directions. Minnesota varies vastly, Colorado varies vastly, New York varies vastly, California...coastal and central valley...you get my drift.

My point...South Dakota is Midwestern, even though there is a vast difference from east to west. California is western, even though it's completely different in areas. People, you can't pick and choose, based on this and/or that. South Dakota is Midwestern, even if the western part of it is more like Wyoming. Colorado is Mountain West, even though a big part of it is like Kansas.

You don't get to cherry-pick.

Last edited by Enean; 09-22-2019 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 1,690 times
I must say, you're right on this. Images that come to mind when I think of the Midwest are definitely Prairies and farm land; however, I always wanted to visit Michigan, seems beautiful and lush.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:28 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,142,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProdigy View Post
I must say, you're right on this. Images that come to mind when I think of the Midwest are definitely Prairies and farm land; however, I always wanted to visit Michigan, seems beautiful and lush.
Wisconsin and Michigan are lush, and the northern half of Minnesota is, as well. All states have their farm land...all of them.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 AM

22,813 posts, read 24,229,488 times
I love the many rivers and lakes in the Great Lakes states that range greatly in size. I think if there was one criticism I have, which I have for the US in general, is that I wish more of the areas around major cities had larger areas reserved from development and was maintained as natural areas.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:56 AM

284 posts, read 128,275 times
The perception of the midwests natural beauty is spot on. It's generally uninteresting and flat with pockets of beauty. Great lakes are nice, but they aren't oceans. Southern Ohio, southern IN, and deep southern IL are pretty, but hardly unique. The Ozarks are great, but they don't match up to the western or the Appalachian ranges. Iowa, you don't have much scenic beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.