U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Midwest get short changed on people's perceptions of it?
Yes 40 66.67%
No 20 33.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 08:23 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,142,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
The perception of the midwests natural beauty is spot on. It's generally uninteresting and flat with pockets of beauty. Great lakes are nice, but they aren't oceans. Southern Ohio, southern IN, and deep southern IL are pretty, but hardly unique. The Ozarks are great, but they don't match up to the western or the Appalachian ranges. Iowa, you don't have much scenic beauty.
Iowa has beautiful rolling hills. If you don't think that's quietly beautiful, then you're someone, most likely, who needs to be completely dazzled, and can't appreciate simple beauty. Not everything in the Midwest is flat, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 12:15 PM

6,236 posts, read 3,575,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
And the American portion of the Chihuahuan Desert is mostly in the South. Still itís not something most people would concede as Southern.

No. It's in the Southwest. The South doesn't refer to the entirety of the literal southern US. The Midwest, however, is literally defined by state lines. You can't tell me that the SD Badlands are not Midwestern. Are they in South Dakota? Yes. Is South Dakota a Midwestern state? Yes. End of discussion. You can't cherry pick what is and isn't the Midwest to suit an argument.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Looks like any number of places, including places in Wyoming or Montana.

There's parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin that can pass for Connecticut or Upstate New York. I guess that means they're technically in the Northeast?

Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I can find beauty in a cornfield. But having spent 20+ years Minnesota, I don't not feel like the natural beauty of the region gets underhyped. There are beautiful lakes, the Black Hills, the North Shore, The great lakes, etc. But IMHO, those aren't some of the most beautiful areas in the US. The plains are so flat. There's not as many waterfalls. The dakota's lack trees. If I'm being harsh, from looks alone one may not be able to distinguish between Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc.

In the Twin Cities, many of the locals (who were born in that region and in general had not traveled much), overhyped the beauty of the area due to their ignorance of the rest of the country.

I've traveled down PC 101, I've spent a few weeks hiking in the 10 different climate zones of hawaii, and marveled at the rocky shoreline of Acadia National park. In my opinion, the midwest does not rival these regions. Back to my original point, I've learned to see the beauty in a cornfield.

I disagree on many points here. First of all, I don't find Twin Cities residents to be poorly travelled a lot. Last summer at my job, I polled customers and the vast majority of them had visited other countries, many have been to even obscurer countries like Seychelles, Monaco and Burkina Faso, and and I'm sure most have been to other states. If you want poorly travelled, look at my hometown, Miami. People there only travel generally to the big cities within the US, and maybe Latin America, the Caribbean, and one or two western European countries. My best friend from high school, I love her to death, but she barely gets out of town and when she does its to go to Orlando. They go like 50 times to Orlando to a theme park or attraction, I dunno how they don't get bored of it. She's only been outta state twice. Both times cuz of me!

I love Minnesota's beauty. What the hell do you mean "not many waterfalls"? There's Minneahaha Falls in Minneapolis, Shadow Falls in Saint Paul, Hidden Falls as well and that's just urban areas. There's Devil's Kettle and Gooseberry Falls, as well and as many others.

Beauty is subjective, but I'll tell you after 23 years in hot climate zones, I much prefer the birches, pines, spruces, maples and aspens of the Upper Midwest. Combined with the lakes, the prairies, the woods. Is it the most beautiful place in the world? For me it is, but I don't need dramatic beauty. I like somewhere a little more tucked in. Somewhere a little cozier. I would love to visit the Grand Canyon but I wouldn't build a log cabin there if you know what I mean.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
I always hated how Chicago got clumped with places like Omaha.

Once you get west of the Mississippi it starts feeling less familiar.

Atlanta and Miami are very different yet in bordering states, but they're both in the South (and actually have more in common than meets the eye, especially in the black community) The only difference between Chicago and Omaha is Chicago is way bigger, but neither are geographically nor culturally estranged.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
The perception of the midwests natural beauty is spot on. It's generally uninteresting and flat with pockets of beauty. Great lakes are nice, but they aren't oceans. Southern Ohio, southern IN, and deep southern IL are pretty, but hardly unique. The Ozarks are great, but they don't match up to the western or the Appalachian ranges. Iowa, you don't have much scenic beauty.

Louisiana is on the ocean. No one is flocking down there to see it. In contrast, the swampy bayous draw more people in than the ocean. Hell, Texas has a LOT of ocean, but aside from a few resort towns/beaches there's not much drawing people there either, compared to the rest of the coasts.

A large body of water is a large body of water, regardless of salinity. "Uninteresting and flat" could be said for much of the South, and much of the east coast even, but I think that's a simplified generalisation that comes from a lack of appreciation and wonder.

My favourite part of the Midwest is the northwoods. I can't think of another area of the lower 48 with scenery like that aside from upper New England and far northern New York state. It's beautiful and looks more like Canada than like most of the US. The PNW comes close but it's a little too evergreen for my taste.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:07 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,092,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I disagree on many points here. First of all, I don't find Twin Cities residents to be poorly travelled a lot. Last summer at my job, I polled customers and the vast majority of them had visited other countries, many have been to even obscurer countries like Seychelles, Monaco and Burkina Faso, and and I'm sure most have been to other states. If you want poorly travelled, look at my hometown, Miami. People there only travel generally to the big cities within the US, and maybe Latin America, the Caribbean, and one or two western European countries. My best friend from high school, I love her to death, but she barely gets out of town and when she does its to go to Orlando. They go like 50 times to Orlando to a theme park or attraction, I dunno how they don't get bored of it. She's only been outta state twice. Both times cuz of me!

I love Minnesota's beauty. What the hell do you mean "not many waterfalls"? There's Minneahaha Falls in Minneapolis, Shadow Falls in Saint Paul, Hidden Falls as well and that's just urban areas. There's Devil's Kettle and Gooseberry Falls, as well and as many others.

Beauty is subjective, but I'll tell you after 23 years in hot climate zones, I much prefer the birches, pines, spruces, maples and aspens of the Upper Midwest. Combined with the lakes, the prairies, the woods. Is it the most beautiful place in the world? For me it is, but I don't need dramatic beauty. I like somewhere a little more tucked in. Somewhere a little cozier. I would love to visit the Grand Canyon but I wouldn't build a log cabin there if you know what I mean.
If you get excited about shadow falls.......we might need to have an intervention, it's small and at a trickle most of the year. Minnehaha is nice, no doubt. But MN has far fewer waterfalls than many other states around the country that I have been to.....including most of the northeast states, all the Rockies states, PNW, California. Even where I live now in Atlanta, there's probably 20 good waterfalls within 90 minutes. not trying to knock it, but it's a flat state in general. Once again, I love MN as a state and it'll always be home to me. But it does not have the natural beauty wow that a solid 20+ other states do in my opinion.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
If you get excited about shadow falls.......we might need to have an intervention, it's small and at a trickle most of the year. Minnehaha is nice, no doubt. But MN has far fewer waterfalls than many other states around the country that I have been to.....including most of the northeast states, all the Rockies states, PNW, California. Even where I live now in Atlanta, there's probably 20 good waterfalls within 90 minutes. not trying to knock it, but it's a flat state in general. Once again, I love MN as a state and it'll always be home to me. But it does not have the natural beauty wow that a solid 20+ other states do in my opinion.
Minnesota is flat, but it's still beautiful. BTW, Georgia is flatter than WI.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
There's portions of the Midwest that are underrated, but not the entire area. I don't think any of it would classify as overrated either.

Part of the problem is there's just a large swath that's eaten up by corn and soybean which isn't scenic. It's Iowa's, Illinois's, and Kansas's own problem for not setting aside more public land that they get the reputation they do. These states could be prettier if they wanted to.

States like South Dakota and Minnesota and Wisconsin are fairly rated, a lot of people visit western SD and people know about the lakeside homes of MN. The great lakes and Driftless areas are cool, but the words out and a lot of people live and visit there. My extended family works on Madeline Island and they can't build fast enough for all the people who want to be there.

The Northwoods of MN and WI get praised on here a lot, but it's not some undiscovered scenic mecca IMO. It's big timber country that's heavily logged (I believe WI has passed up Oregon for timber production), it's swampy with a LOT of mosquitoes and ticks, and the weathers pretty harsh. It's got lakes, but how many of those does a person need, and all those lakes breed mosquitoes and ticks. And there's just more tree varieties further south.

I'd only put Nebraska and Missouri as underrated state wide. Nebraska has a terrible reputation for scenery (thanks I-80...) but the sandhills are real cool and it's got a lot of the stuff SD has, just on a less grand scale. It's better than KS and 4 steps above eastern CO IMO. Missouri has a lot of rolling hill forest land and big reservoirs, doesn't seem to have the same bug problem as other places, and is more 'temperate'. Ohio would be underrated too, but Appalachia is eastern US in my book.
Door County in WI, is hardly over-rated. It's not logged, either. Here are a few pics, as you seem to be quite misinformed. Door County - Lake Michigan

https://www.google.com/search?q=door...w=1920&bih=969

Bayfield, WI...Lake Superior

https://www.google.com/search?q=bayf...w=1920&bih=969

I wouldn't call this too harsh.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,092,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Door County in WI, is hardly over-rated. It's not logged, either. Here are a few pics, as you seem to be quite misinformed. Door County - Lake Michigan

https://www.google.com/search?q=door...w=1920&bih=969

Bayfield, WI...Lake Superior

https://www.google.com/search?q=bayf...w=1920&bih=969

I wouldn't call this too harsh.
I don't know if Georgia, which has mountains over 4k, is flatter than wi which doesn't have a single mountain. But even if that's true, I'm worried that your taking people saying the midwest isn't underrated as people saying the midwest is ugly. I do think MN and WI, both of which I've lived in, are beautiful. I find beauty in all the states. I just don't think they compare to the Rockies, or the Cascades, or Hawaii, or some of the national parks I've been too. Take Voyager s natl park. It's still pretty! But i just don't think it compares to most of them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.