U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Midwest get short changed on people's perceptions of it?
Yes 29 69.05%
No 13 30.95%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM

45 posts, read 7,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The North Dakota badlands in Theodore Roosevelt National Park are also stunning and even more overlooked since they aren't on the way to Mount Rushmore.
This is probably my next road trip. They look amazing and I like the fact that they are less famous so you can walk around without hoards of tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:46 AM

955 posts, read 358,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
The Badlands are surrounded by prairie. This is the road to the park entrance:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9832...7i13312!8i6656

Looks like the Midwest to me.
Looks like any number of places, including places in Wyoming or Montana.

Old Today, 06:24 AM

46,079 posts, read 37,184,744 times
I love the Ozarks and the Ouachita Mountains and the Appalachians in the eastern midwest.

I also really, really, really like a lot of the cities of the Midwest and I agree - they really make the most of their river fronts generally - or maybe the river made the best of them, who knows. Anyway, nice cities.

I have never been to Michigan but I really would love to visit. I've never seen the Great Lakes! I need to go there!

I also really like the major Ohio cities - and I like Ohio in general. I do think it's underrated.

I haven't been overly impressed with Indiana or Illinois but I haven't seen all the areas there so I have a limited perspective.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

4,526 posts, read 2,660,865 times
Cuyahoga National Park and Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio are hidden gems. Hocking is so far out of the way in a very poverty stricken, rural area that I doubt many people outside Ohio are aware of it's existence. I try to visit every time I'm back in Columbus. Rock House has always been my favorite. When I was younger you could climb all over but they've since blocked off portions because people have been getting hurt.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hock...w=1528&bih=516

I agree the Badlands are fantastic. I wouldn't go as far as to say they'd be a top destination in the country but they should definitely be on everyone's list. I'm one of those people who was disappointed with Mount Rushmore. I'd rather go to the Badlands or Theodore Roosevelt.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

490 posts, read 154,598 times
In my experience, every Midwest state has parts that are very different from the stereotype of bland farm country. Just using the census bureau definition of Midwest you have:

Ohio - the eastern third of the state is basically Appalachia. Rugged, hilly, forested.

Indiana - Brown County/Hoosier National forest. A dissected plateau with rugged, forested hills

Michigan - UP. Woods, hills, lakes. The Mitten has miles of beautiful shores

Illinois - Driftless Area in the far NW, Illinois Ozarks/Shawnee Hills in the south

Wisconsin - Really, the bulk of Wisconsin. Driftless Area is the whole SW 1/4, the north end is an extension of the UP, and the east side has the beaches on the Great Lakes.

Minnesota - The Arrowhead/North Shore mixes the rugged topography, coniferous forest, and shore line as well as anywhere. Dritfless Area in the SE

Iowa - Driftless Area in the NE is Iowa's main scenic area. The Loess Hills flanking the east side of the Missouri River are cool too.

Missouri - Ozarks. Enough said.

Kansas - Flint Hills. Probably the least rugged of the aforementioned areas, but still beautiful and worthwhile.

Nebraska - the NW part of the state/Sandhills area is very pretty. Niobara River too.

South Dakota - Black Hills, Badlands. The Black Hills are legitimate mountains. Hard to argue with their beauty.

North Dakota - Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Turtle Mountains/Pembina Gorge area all have plenty of charm.

Old Today, 08:53 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,065,266 times
Don't get me wrong, I can find beauty in a cornfield. But having spent 20+ years Minnesota, I don't not feel like the natural beauty of the region gets underhyped. There are beautiful lakes, the Black Hills, the North Shore, The great lakes, etc. But IMHO, those aren't some of the most beautiful areas in the US. The plains are so flat. There's not as many waterfalls. The dakota's lack trees. If I'm being harsh, from looks alone one may not be able to distinguish between Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc.

In the Twin Cities, many of the locals (who were born in that region and in general had not traveled much), overhyped the beauty of the area due to their ignorance of the rest of the country.

I've traveled down PC 101, I've spent a few weeks hiking in the 10 different climate zones of hawaii, and marveled at the rocky shoreline of Acadia National park. In my opinion, the midwest does not rival these regions. Back to my original point, I've learned to see the beauty in a cornfield.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

You know what I love about western Ohio? I love the farmland - the rolling fields with big old farmhouses and picturesque barns and silos in the middle of them. I love the big expanse of sky.

Missouri is incredibly wooded. That really surprised me. You know, the Ozarks seems so sparsely populated and that also really surprises me but I guess there's just not a lot of industry there, and I know the ground is very rocky. But it sure is a beautiful region. Now I understand why military people call Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri "Fort Lost In The Woods."

Old Today, 09:29 AM

13,309 posts, read 24,711,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
The Badlands are surrounded by prairie. This is the road to the park entrance:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9832...7i13312!8i6656

Looks like the Midwest to me.
Then Eastern Colorado is Midwest too (looking at it, it really can't be anything else).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love the Ozarks and the Ouachita Mountains and the Appalachians in the eastern midwest.

I also really, really, really like a lot of the cities of the Midwest and I agree - they really make the most of their river fronts generally - or maybe the river made the best of them, who knows. Anyway, nice cities.

I have never been to Michigan but I really would love to visit. I've never seen the Great Lakes! I need to go there!

I also really like the major Ohio cities - and I like Ohio in general. I do think it's underrated.

I haven't been overly impressed with Indiana or Illinois but I haven't seen all the areas there so I have a limited perspective.
Lake Michigan is spectacular no matter where you see it from. I've only seen Lake Erie from Toledo, and it's kind of off the beaten path and unimpressive (aside from size) near there.

There are parts of Southern Illinois and Southern Indiana that aren't all that unlike your area of Texas from a visual perspective.

I like all of it and can't wait to find the time to explore it more.

Old Today, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Then Eastern Colorado is Midwest too (looking at it, it really can't be anything else).

Lake Michigan is spectacular no matter where you see it from. I've only seen Lake Erie from Toledo, and it's kind of off the beaten path and unimpressive (aside from size) near there.

There are parts of Southern Illinois and Southern Indiana that aren't all that unlike your area of Texas from a visual perspective.

I like all of it and can't wait to find the time to explore it more.
Well, I live in NE Texas and I've been through southern Illinois and southern Indiana and they look a LOT different to me from my area of Texas but oh well.

I would love to see the Great Lakes sometime. We've talked about going on vacation up there in the fall so maybe next year! This year we're moving and it's like being in hell but it will be worth it in the long run!

We have some good friends who visited Mackinac Island a couple of years ago and it really whetted my appetite.

Old Today, 10:43 AM

10,847 posts, read 14,598,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

I've traveled down PC 101, I've spent a few weeks hiking in the 10 different climate zones of hawaii, and marveled at the rocky shoreline of Acadia National park. In my opinion, the midwest does not rival these regions. Back to my original point, I've learned to see the beauty in a cornfield.
https://beyondwords.life/wp-content/...nd-words-2.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/gypsywithadayjob.c...80%2C720&ssl=1

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/145/34...a5dfd693_b.jpg

https://brobible.files.wordpress.com...90&w=650&h=432

Maybe not 'jaw dropping' but pretty impressive nevertheless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.