U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2019, 02:35 PM
 
1,602 posts, read 1,502,306 times
Reputation: 12049

Advertisements

Must be a pretty desperate scammer to go to that much trouble to get access to a residence in what is apparently a fairly remote area. Does your neighbor have a hoard of gold and jewels that would make that kind of effort worthwhile (i.e., is your neighbor a dragon)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2019, 03:16 PM
 
5,783 posts, read 3,056,418 times
Reputation: 11042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Of course, the simplest way is to fill out the census online.. Then the workers have no reason to come to your house. the two censuses since I've been out of high school, I filled them out online.. Never had a census worker come to my house.
Read my posts.

WE did not receive a census form or notice. WE have always completed such forms when we got them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 03:21 PM
 
5,783 posts, read 3,056,418 times
Reputation: 11042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Must be a pretty desperate scammer to go to that much trouble to get access to a residence in what is apparently a fairly remote area. Does your neighbor have a hoard of gold and jewels that would make that kind of effort worthwhile (i.e., is your neighbor a dragon)?
I do not know the net worth of said neighbor, nor do I intend to ever ask or snoop.

However, said neighbor was indeed the victim of a felony theft very recently.

There are enough drug addicts in the area that what some people call paranoia is actually being cautious. There is this thing called meth that infests rural areas.

But thanks to the people who posted helpful comments. I have contacted the appropriate authority to get my questions answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,561 posts, read 46,346,690 times
Reputation: 62775
People, what is wrong with a census worker trying to do their job? I wish we had the same system as Great Britain in which anyone can walk on anyone’s land, as long as they close the gates. What is everyone so afraid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 03:49 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
23,150 posts, read 29,569,099 times
Reputation: 45438
There are some people who have legal access to your property, even if it is posted: firemen, policemen and other law enforcement, tax assessors, border patrol agents.... And I'm pretty darn sure that census takers are included in that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,676 posts, read 357,340 times
Reputation: 1605
We might not include the gun-toting, bunker-building, tinfoil hat crowd in the 2020 census? Well that would be a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 04:11 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
3,953 posts, read 1,720,279 times
Reputation: 3703
Default I can't get no satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Of course, the simplest way is to fill out the census online.. Then the workers have no reason to come to your house. the two censuses since I've been out of high school, I filled them out online.. Never had a census worker come to my house.
I worked the last census, going door to door. There are parts of the country where people are trying to disappear, officially. They don't want to fill in census forms, they don't want to interact with police, social workers, IRS, local nor state nor federal government @ all, if they can possibly avoid it. They will not gladly fill in online forms - I expect that many of them don't have PCs nor Internet enabled devices - as those can be tracked or hacked.

There's simply this - presumably small - percentage of people who do not want to be found, nor enumerated. I assume that there are statistical adjustments made to the raw data, to account for these non-responsive people. Otherwise, we'd have to take the Census results with considerable skepticism ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 PM
 
5,783 posts, read 3,056,418 times
Reputation: 11042
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
I worked the last census, going door to door. There are parts of the country where people are trying to disappear, officially. They don't want to fill in census forms, they don't want to interact with police, social workers, IRS, local nor state nor federal government @ all, if they can possibly avoid it. They will not gladly fill in online forms - I expect that many of them don't have PCs nor Internet enabled devices - as those can be tracked or hacked.

There's simply this - presumably small - percentage of people who do not want to be found, nor enumerated. I assume that there are statistical adjustments made to the raw data, to account for these non-responsive people. Otherwise, we'd have to take the Census results with considerable skepticism ourselves.
While I believe what you say and would bet this area does have a few of such hiders, neither our neighbors nor we fall into that category. Perhaps they didn’t respond because they were away on vacation.

There are a lot of “unverified addresses” around, which probably are a remnant from lax recording of what got built many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Boulder County, CO
867 posts, read 506,857 times
Reputation: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Must be a pretty desperate scammer to go to that much trouble to get access to a residence in what is apparently a fairly remote area. Does your neighbor have a hoard of gold and jewels that would make that kind of effort worthwhile (i.e., is your neighbor a dragon)?
When people would give me crap I'd always think in the back of my head, "dude, trust me, I don't want to be here. I don't give two sh*** about anything on your property and I just want to get the hell out of here, but I can't because it's my job."

If you come across someone like my old self on your property, assess the situation before stepping outside (if they're a meth addict looking for trouble you'll know pretty quickly), kindly ask who they are, what they're doing, and the contact information for their company. I had no problem when people did that. If you're still angry, be angry at the company or organization, not the little man trying to make a living.

Last edited by Jame22; 09-16-2019 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2019, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,934 posts, read 1,907,716 times
Reputation: 9076
When I worked for the census, we had an advance map of every known residence, and we surveyed every block checking for accuracy, to see if any residences newly appeared or disappeared. It was only a visual check. We didn't find very many but there were a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top