U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2019, 10:24 PM
 
9,775 posts, read 7,390,189 times
Reputation: 12586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Read my posts.

WE did not receive a census form or notice. WE have always completed such forms when we got them.

You don't need to receive a form.


Once the actual census starts.. you don't have to wait for a form, or anything. Just go online and do it. If they already have a response from your household, they won't send a form or a worker out. You do have to be counted.. You do not have to wait to be counted by a person or receive notice that you need to be counted.



What you hit was either someone doing a survey or verifying addresses. If it was a survey and they weren't targeting you, but were trying to get to a neighbor.. Well.. Hard for us to say anything without knowing the layout of the property.

But, the long and short of it is.. If they carried an official commerce department ID and were there on official business.. They weren't trespassing. At least not legally speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Back and Beyond
2,870 posts, read 2,847,414 times
Reputation: 6714
I never voluntarily fill out a census form. A census worker can come to my gate if they choose and recieve only an answer of how many people live here and nothing else. Just my personal preference.

If they decide to trespass beyond the gate and harass me, well I'm a peaceful person so nothing would happen, but if they lived in my community, I'd out and ridicule them for the trespasser freedom haters they are.

It's almost 2020, time to do away with the census. Like the government and Google, etc. doesn't already have all this information and more. Why double collect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 AM
 
7,312 posts, read 4,043,433 times
Reputation: 15491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I never voluntarily fill out a census form. A census worker can come to my gate if they choose and recieve only an answer of how many people live here and nothing else. Just my personal preference.

If they decide to trespass beyond the gate and harass me, well I'm a peaceful person so nothing would happen, but if they lived in my community, I'd out and ridicule them for the trespasser freedom haters they are.

It's almost 2020, time to do away with the census. Like the government and Google, etc. doesn't already have all this information and more. Why double collect?
Anything else the Constitution requires you'd like to "do away with?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 01:48 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,949 posts, read 1,911,962 times
Reputation: 9078
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I never voluntarily fill out a census form. A census worker can come to my gate if they choose and recieve only an answer of how many people live here and nothing else. Just my personal preference.

If they decide to trespass beyond the gate and harass me, well I'm a peaceful person so nothing would happen, but if they lived in my community, I'd out and ridicule them for the trespasser freedom haters they are.

It's almost 2020, time to do away with the census. Like the government and Google, etc. doesn't already have all this information and more. Why double collect?
Census enumerators, in your case, will not harass you. They are instructed to gather at least the names and ages of all occupants. If the householder refuses, they will make their best estimate of the information, from observation and by asking neighbors to volunteer the information they have, but without obligation to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Åsgårdsreien
1,147 posts, read 272,796 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Anything else the Constitution requires you'd like to "do away with?"
Don't give the THE-CENSUS-IS-A-NEFARIOUS-GOVERNMENT-PLOT! crowd any ideas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,949 posts, read 1,911,962 times
Reputation: 9078
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Don't give the THE-CENSUS-IS-A-NEFARIOUS-GOVERNMENT-PLOT! crowd any ideas...

What do Venezuela and Syria both have in common? A census, and look what happened to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,690 posts, read 13,835,984 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
What do Venezuela and Syria both have in common? A census, and look what happened to them.
Yea, the census was the issue there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,441 posts, read 8,681,521 times
Reputation: 16256
Did the purported census workers footprints irrevocably damage your private drive?

People are so weird about property rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 08:54 AM
 
5,795 posts, read 3,060,356 times
Reputation: 11052
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Did the purported census workers footprints irrevocably damage your private drive?

People are so weird about property rights.
Irrelevant, and they drove through.

There’s nothing weird about wanting to identify trespassers. You like poaching? Dumping of dead animals in whole or parts, construction waste, hazwaste? Vandalism? Theft? Drug dealing?

All of those things have happened in this area, and some on our property. LE can’t patrol like they do in cities or burbs. The trespasser probably was working for the census bureau, but we don’t yet know.

All I am trying to find is whether the person had legitimate business, and whether he had the right to ignore trespassing laws. It is fascinating how those two reasonable questions are being interpreted by some as wanting to do violence to him, or hating the federal government, or trying to hide something.

Last edited by pikabike; 09-17-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 09:22 AM
 
725 posts, read 222,878 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Irrelevant, and they drove through.

There’s nothing weird about wanting to identify trespassers. You like poaching? Dumping of dead animals in whole or parts, construction waste, hazwaste? Vandalism? Theft? Drug dealing?

All of those things have happened in this area, and some on our property. LE can’t patrol like they do in cities or burbs. The trespasser probably was working for the census bureau, but we don’t yet know.

All I am trying to find is whether the person had legitimate business, and whether he had the right to ignore trespassing laws. It is fascinating how those two reasonable questions are being interpreted by some as wanting to do violence to him, or hating the federal government, or trying to hide something.
If you dont have cameras and didnt see the person, how do you know it was someone purporting to be a census worker? There are govt officals who have the right to enter your property without your consent but they cant enter your house. Even your ins co has the right to look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top