U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:19 AM

6,676 posts, read 5,324,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I just found out that a census worker (temp worker, presumably) trespassed via a private road through our property, to gain access to a home farther beyond. He did not get permission to do so. The road is fenced, gated, and prominently signed Private Property, Private Road, etc.

1. Does he have some special right to violate trespassing laws?

2. The 2019 Test Census is long over, and the 2020 Census has not come about yet, correct?

3. So was this guy a scammer, or is there yet another in-between census being conducted?

(Our own household has not received any census forms.)

We have cameras, but we move them around and this incident was not recorded.
they are out and about checking addresses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:41 AM

653 posts, read 1,395,858 times
How do the neighbors access their property?

Old 09-17-2019, 11:27 AM

38 posts, read 44,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
... they're verifying addresses or something right now???
Yes - I received a phone call from a Census surveyor maybe a month ago (how did they get my cell number? ) to verify the address for an apartment property we owned.

I chuckled, "Yes, you have the right address. However, we demolished the building four years ago. I'm sure the willow tree planted in the location will have no problem with your questions, but I wouldn't expect a response."

Old 09-17-2019, 11:51 AM

8,469 posts, read 3,353,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
People, what is wrong with a census worker trying to do their job? I wish we had the same system as Great Britain in which anyone can walk on anyoneís land, as long as they close the gates. What is everyone so afraid of?
If you are talking about right to roam laws there are limits. You can't just walk in to anyone's garden for example and even on open land you cannot use a vehicle without the owner's permission. Apparently the British are "afraid" enough not to just let anyone on to anyone else's land for any reason so long as they shut the gate.

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open...-right-to-roam

Old 09-17-2019, 12:02 PM

4,571 posts, read 2,696,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I never voluntarily fill out a census form. A census worker can come to my gate if they choose and recieve only an answer of how many people live here and nothing else. Just my personal preference.

If they decide to trespass beyond the gate and harass me, well I'm a peaceful person so nothing would happen, but if they lived in my community, I'd out and ridicule them for the trespasser freedom haters they are.

It's almost 2020, time to do away with the census. Like the government and Google, etc. doesn't already have all this information and more. Why double collect?
Irony.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 PM

77 posts, read 52,466 times
I'm one of those workers this year and have visited hundreds of homes in TX and now working OK. Our purpose is not to verify residents of a residence. We're only verifying addresses and asking if there are any other living quarters. We're assigned several blocks and use provided laptops with GPS to assist in locating those structures.The GPS can be hit or miss so using our own smartphone is usually required.
All of us have ID badges, 2 signs for our vehicle and a form that we give to the person(at least 15 years old)answering the questions.
According to the form a response is required by law. If nobody is home we work the address anyway. I've only had 1 person that refused to answer, but I was still able to work his address.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:06 PM

6,226 posts, read 2,936,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
How do the neighbors access their property?
This is perhaps the most important issue in the entire discussion.

OP, do the neighbors have another access route other than the private drive mentioned? Do they have an easement or some other legal access to the private drive?

I don't think anyone is questioning whether a census worker can legally enter upon property in order to perform their legal duties. But neither do census workers have carte blanch to trespass. A census worker can enter upon my neighbors property in order to collect the neighbors information. However, I don't believe that a census worker has the legal right to enter upon MY property in order to collect my neighbors information.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:43 PM

9,466 posts, read 8,716,949 times
Quote:
Irrelevant, and they drove through.

Thereís nothing weird about wanting to identify trespassers. You like poaching? Dumping of dead animals in whole or parts, construction waste, hazwaste? Vandalism? Theft? Drug dealing?

All of those things have happened in this area, and some on our property. LE canít patrol like they do in cities or burbs. The trespasser probably was working for the census bureau, but we donít yet know..
Right. So you are concerned that a person who hasnít done any of these things is a problem. Like I said, weird.

Quote:
All I am trying to find is whether the person had legitimate business, and whether he had the right to ignore trespassing laws. It is fascinating how those two reasonable questions are being interpreted by some as wanting to do violence to him, or hating the federal government, or trying to hide something.
I never said anything about violence, the feds, or hiding anything. I just said it was weird that people are worried about somebody who crossed their property a few days ago.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:08 PM

12,265 posts, read 21,946,392 times
In today's age of scams and identity theft, I would never, ever give someone regardless of "ID" who comes to my door any information. In fact we don't even open our door because that is one of the oldest tricks in the book for burglars.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:19 PM

12,939 posts, read 7,827,370 times
Quote:
Irrelevant, and they drove through.

Thereís nothing weird about wanting to identify trespassers. You like poaching? Dumping of dead animals in whole or parts, construction waste, hazwaste? Vandalism? Theft? Drug dealing?
Did this person do any of these things?

How did you even know about this happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or