U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 08:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 3,097,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
As I recall, if a roadway passes through a private property and out the other side, and is not barricaded, it is a public road. That was the case in Florida.

What about the Schwann's truck?
This is not FL, and the road is indisputably (fully legally) a private road. It is gated on both ends. It basically is a long private driveway shared by the owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Actually, the OP said the signs stated "Private Property" and "Private Road." He did not say there were any "No Trespassing" signs. There may very well be a difference in how such signs need to be treated, which probably varies by jurisdiction.
There are also signs that say No Trespassing.

In this state, owners do not have to put up fences, gates, or No Trespassing signs. The onus is on the would-be trespasser to know what is private. Most people, including us, err on the side of having all of those things.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, that isn’t the issue.

I think it’s pretty clear that census workers can enter upon YOUR property to gather YOUR data. The issue is whether they can cross YOUR NEIGHBORS property, to gather YOUR data.
Exactly.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:55 PM

7,375 posts, read 4,075,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, that isn’t the issue.

I think it’s pretty clear that census workers can enter upon YOUR property to gather YOUR data. The issue is whether they can cross YOUR NEIGHBORS property, to gather YOUR data.
It would seem that an easement across property "A" for the use of the owner of property "B" would also include use by those visiting property "B" or would you have owner "B" requesting separate permission each time he had a delivery, visitor or guest?

Old 09-23-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
It would seem that an easement across property "A" for the use of the owner of property "B" would also include use by those visiting property "B" or would you have owner "B" requesting separate permission each time he had a delivery, visitor or guest?
No separate permission needed for those “welcomed” people. But the questions still remain, can a census worker go through someone else’s property to reach the targeted household without notice, AND was it in fact a genine census worker? Odds are it was, but I am trying to verify this through the usual morass of bureaucracy.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:04 PM

6,228 posts, read 2,938,975 times
Quote:

Agreed. I didn't say or suggest otherwise.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
No separate permission needed for those “welcomed” people. But the questions still remain, can a census worker go through someone else’s property to reach the targeted household without notice, AND was it in fact a genine census worker? Odds are it was, but I am trying to verify this through the usual morass of bureaucracy.
I don't understand how much verification you need to be comfortable, or why. You report nothing of a criminal nature having taken place; nothing problematic at all. You were given information about requirements in the Constitution for conducting the census. You asked why a census worker would be working now and were given more than adequate explanation of the address verification program.

The census bureau can easily verify if that operation was taking place in your area and, if you reach the right person, might even be able to authoritatively answer the question that has you so wound up about if easements are cancelled for census activity. Dealing with paranoia might be better handled elsewhere.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,148,521 times
Quote:
I don't understand how much verification you need to be comfortable, or why. You report nothing of a criminal nature having taken place; nothing problematic at all. You were given information about requirements in the Constitution for conducting the census. You asked why a census worker would be working now and were given more than adequate explanation of the address verification program.

The census bureau can easily verify if that operation was taking place in your area and, if you reach the right person, might even be able to authoritatively answer the question that has you so wound up about if easements are cancelled for census activity. Dealing with paranoia might be better handled elsewhere.
Where I live, we received notice that Census workers will be going door-to-door, and that we should answer their questions. So, yes, Census workers are legitimately working now, and, I don't believe anyone is to deny them access.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Actually, the census contact I spoke with was concerned that something improper might have occurred. He’s looking into what happened.

It is not paranoid to want to know what strangers are going through your property when trespassing has happened in the past.

Rather than casually, pejoratively (and inaccurately) slinging around a term with specific and serious meanings, if you dislike my questions, then don’t read the thread any more.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Actually, the census contact I spoke with was concerned that something improper might have occurred. He’s looking into what happened.

It is not paranoid to want to know what strangers are going through your property when trespassing has happened in the past.

Rather than casually, pejoratively (and inaccurately) slinging around a term with specific and serious meanings, if you dislike my questions, then don’t read the thread any more.
It's not your questions that I'm concerned with it's your apparent disregard for the consistent answers you've received and once posted a question here is fair game for a myriad of relevant responses, you need not read them if they upset you. This is actually quite common on City Data to have posters ask a question, receive legitimate answers and not accept them because the answers don't support their argument.

Random trespassing is one thing, legitimate business is something else which should have been considered before purchasing property upon which there was an easement for use by others. You don't get to decide who uses your neighbor's legal easement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or