U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 04:46 PM

5,783 posts, read 3,056,418 times

Advertisements

I just found out that a census worker (temp worker, presumably) trespassed via a private road through our property, to gain access to a home farther beyond. He did not get permission to do so. The road is fenced, gated, and prominently signed Private Property, Private Road, etc.

1. Does he have some special right to violate trespassing laws?

2. The 2019 Test Census is long over, and the 2020 Census has not come about yet, correct?

3. So was this guy a scammer, or is there yet another in-between census being conducted?

(Our own household has not received any census forms.)

We have cameras, but we move them around and this incident was not recorded.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 06:28 PM

5,354 posts, read 8,640,889 times
You might find some answers here re Surveys that are in progress

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/surveyhelp.html

Also a story here https://www.foxnews.com/us/census-wo...-federal-court

"Census workers are told in their manuals that they should do their best to gain access to areas surrounded by gates."

And then there is this: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/13/223

13 U.S. Code ß 223. Refusal, by owners, proprietors, etc., to assist census employees

Last edited by reed303; 09-15-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 06:35 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,724,043 times
last Friday, while walking our dogs, we met a Census Worker.
according to her, she was verifying addresses.
she was in her van, and did not get out of it.
(our opinion, she did not like our dogs)
but...i think she actually was a CW
because she had lots of paperwork
and a newer-type tablet for
recording purposes.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:26 AM

5,423 posts, read 7,355,779 times
I saw job postings several months ago for Census workers - so I'm guessing maybe they're verifying addresses or something right now???

Old 09-16-2019, 08:03 AM

867 posts, read 506,857 times
Better get out your ammo and tin foil hat.

I understand your concern to a degree. What he did was't right, even if the law backs him up, but I was an electric utility surveyor down in Texas for a while and I've grown to have very little tolerance for this type of paranoia. We tried our very best to contact as many people as possible, but we moved very fast, sometimes the company we worked for didn't always have up to date phone numbers and it wasn't always possible. Got a gun pulled on me twice, even when wearing a hard hat, vest, badge ect. People almost seemed upset when they realized they couldn't take me out.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 AM

5,783 posts, read 3,056,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I saw job postings several months ago for Census workers - so I'm guessing maybe they're verifying addresses or something right now???
I saw those, too. Thatís possible, but I still would expect that they would have to contact the landowner whose property they trespass THROUGH to reach the unverified address, simply out of courtesy. Our own address was verified right from the start.

This kind of loophole opens the door to criminal activity.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 6,585,853 times
I legitimately can't imagine being this paranoid. It's 2019. The Census is next year, and a direct recording of the population of a country of 325,000,000 is a massive undertaking, so they're preparing by verifying addresses. They would do an indirect survey (which is more accurate), but changing the statutes to allow the Census to be conducted that way is blocked by those who want poor and transient people to be undercounted.

No scammer would put in the effort to trespass on your property in order to scam your neighbor. Scammers are in it for easy money. No hunter would even think of making up the Census worker part.

How are you aware of this incident unless the person who told you knew it was a Census worker?

Last edited by Westerner92; 09-16-2019 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 10:28 AM

9,157 posts, read 17,398,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I saw those, too. Thatís possible, but I still would expect that they would have to contact the landowner whose property they trespass THROUGH to reach the unverified address, simply out of courtesy. Our own address was verified right from the start.

This kind of loophole opens the door to criminal activity.
Is your phone number on the sign?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 AM

21,087 posts, read 39,562,410 times
Two things.

1. This is much ado about nothing. If one suspects "criminal activity" then call the cops.
2. Census is a national event, hence I'm moving this to a forum for national topics.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:27 PM

9,768 posts, read 7,384,710 times
Of course, the simplest way is to fill out the census online.. Then the workers have no reason to come to your house. the two censuses since I've been out of high school, I filled them out online.. Never had a census worker come to my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or