U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:01 AM

1,628 posts, read 984,251 times

Advertisements

Definitely somewhere in the Northeast, think CT or MA if you don't want to be near earthquakes/tornadoes/extreme heat. From what I know winters aren't crazy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM

14,758 posts, read 7,965,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoonmom View Post
We live in Arizona with our young family and my husband runs his own financial business from home, so we can pretty much pack up and live anywhere in the country. We find every summer in Phoenix draining to say the least. We are looking for a state where we can set up home but these are our preferences:

1) No excessive heat
2) moderate snow
3) no tornadoes
4) no earthquakes
5) low or medium cost housing

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Define "low or medium cost housing".

Usually, people have other criteria like school systems, proximity to airports, amenities, etc.

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

1,252 posts, read 772,590 times
Reno or Carson City Nevada fit your criteria almost exactly.

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Status: " Narrow minds should come with closed mouths" (set 23 days ago)

3,016 posts, read 1,377,725 times
Most places in MI, many places in WI, most of OH, Maine, Indiana, Pennsylvania and some parts of Upstate NY.

What other criteria do you have?

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

14,023 posts, read 10,070,489 times
No location will fulfill all requirements.

If I understand correctly, you wish to not experience the negative side effects of:
1) excessive heat
2) snow
3) tornadoes
4) earthquakes
While enjoying :
5) low or medium cost housing.

If you build a superinsulated monolithic dome or subterranean home, you're going to be fine with 1 through 4, but 5 is a stretch.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 326,862 times
Nevada. Even Las Vegas is much more mild than Phoenix in the summertime. There's also a higher chance for snow in the winter. Now upstate is a whole other story. Moderate temps year round but more measurable snowfall.

Philadelphia area fits 2-5 to a T but there is some excessive heat hear and there in the Summer.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,170,066 times
No tornados? Even in tornado alley your chances of being hit by one are incredibly small. Fear of tornadoes never made sense to me. Its not like a hurricane that hits a 100 mile wide area.

Old Today, 06:12 AM

836 posts, read 1,090,759 times
Quote:
We live in Arizona with our young family and my husband runs his own financial business from home, so we can pretty much pack up and live anywhere in the country. We find every summer in Phoenix draining to say the least. We are looking for a state where we can set up home but these are our preferences:

1) No excessive heat
2) moderate snow
3) no tornadoes
4) no earthquakes

Maybe, I'm just misreading the answer, but it really sounds like you want perfect weather all the time and that just doesn't happen anywhere. So, it's really hard for me to just make a suggestion.

In the Midwest, there's a lot of temperature fluctuation and you need two sets of clothing - one for winter/one for summer.

I like the Metro Detroit area because of the weather. We get all 4 seasons, but it's not super crazy. We have a few weeks where were get 90-100 degrees for summer (with excessive humidity levels and nobody wants to be outside!) and below zero and snow for winter (with excessive wind chills and the possibly of excessive snow/ice storms). However, it's the mildest part of Michigan you can live in, if you aren't a huge fan of winter.

We don't get LA/CA style earthquakes, but we still get mild earthquakes once in a while (maybe one every few years and you just sleep through it and/or ask "what was that? Did you feel that?" after it happened)

Tornadoes are rare, but not unheard of. In fact, my neighbors and I believe we had tornado-level winds a few weeks ago, but the siren never went off to make it an official tornado. Still - it was a crazy "wind storm" and it was very unsettling to watch the huge trees in the back rock back and forth. A lot of us in our sub were just praying that the trees didn't start falling. Thankfully, nothing too bad happened here, but in surrounding areas, branches were snapping off and falling into major roads. Very scary.

We also had a really bad wind storm this summer that knocked out power in Ann Arbor (rarity) and the surrounding areas. We ended up losing power for a couple of days. Because of our location and the amount of damage in the area, we just weren't in the high priority zone for repair.

Any place you choose is going to have weather challenges.

The cost of living is reasonable, but you can find extremes on either end.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

1,345 posts, read 830,466 times
Quote:

1) No excessive heat
2) moderate snow
3) no tornadoes
4) no earthquakes

Philadelphia. Anymore north than that I'd probably think someone from AZ would think the snow was much more than "moderate".

Old Today, 12:17 PM

373 posts, read 226,734 times
Quote:
1) No excessive heat
2) moderate snow
3) no tornadoes
4) no earthquakes

Maybe look into the suburbs of Indianapolis. For your young family, I would assume decent schools are a plus for you...even if you home school, good schools keep property values up. I like this site for checking out schools and their demographics:

https://www.schooldigger.com/

Re: #3 (no tornadoes) -- From what I understand, tornadoes aren't super common, and certainly the deadly ones are rare. You can get a house with a basement so you can hide out from them, too.

I'm not sure what you mean by low or medium cost housing. Depending on your point of view and where you're coming from, that could vary wildly.

Columbus, Ohio is another place to consider. I know nothing about it, but it has been recommended to me by extended family members who have relatives in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or