U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

10,598 posts, read 13,287,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It's a WalletHub list which are always the least scientific, if not just plain ignorant in their methodology. You can pretty much tell whatever team they have compiling their data has little if any clue about how cities/metro areas work in general, but it seems to more or less follow similar lists not really anything surprising there.

Correct, WalletHub uses very suspect methodology in these types of lists. That being said, the list looks relatively accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

1,321 posts, read 566,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You're right. Planning becomes part of everything. Eating healthy can be more time-consuming, but not always more expensive. However, in poorer communities, people are not often working regular 9-5 jobs. It can be harder to plan a meal for the family when people have shift work that varies, the family isn't always together, both parents are working odd hours, everyone comes home tired from more difficult labor jobs, etc. It's not a cut and dry "just buy healthy and cook when you get home" for every household.

Additionally, your location is San Diego. San Diego is privileged for being located in CA with easy access to quality produce. And I assume you also live in at least a somewhat nicer part of the city. I apologize for the assumption if you don't, but just roll with me on it for this example. You can easily go to a grocery store that has edible fruits and vegetables and raw meats. Someone who lives in an impoverished, rural area of the Midwest/South does not live near such a grocer. Someone who lives in a neighborhood with generational poverty in any city likely does not have the same access to produce that you do. They often get the leftovers and the not-as-good produce. Food deserts are a real thing that plague impoverished neighborhoods of large cities just as much as they plague rural small town America who could only be so lucky to have a single Walmart.
I was gonna make mention to much of this in my original post you’re responding to, but I see many of these as excuses as well.

My mom was a single parent who made sure dinner was an integral part of our day. We’d do homework at the table while she taught us about what she was doing. The same went while in the grocery store shopping for the things we did. I fully understand there’s examples out there where the parent(s) might not ever be around during dinner time, but if they instill these values (and keep healthy food in the house) the kids will make better decisions when it comes time to eat. I know we did (not always, lol) when we were left to fend for ourselves. More times than not she’d make meals ahead of time to be reheated when she knew she wouldn’t be home to make dinner. I see no reason why a busy family can’t eat healthy if they truly want to.

Briefly in college I worked at a grocery store that was in a much nicer part of town close to a more impoverished area. I would often see poor families, judging by their wardrobe and food stamps, buying healthy food, and educating their children along the way. I’d see these same people/families walk out of the parking lot (often in very lousy weather) towards the bus stop while rounding up carts. Where there’s a will, there a way.

But yeah, I do agree growing up and living in San Diego makes things easier with regards to fresh produce, but frozen vegetables is still a very viable, and healthy, option for those that only have a Walmart to shop at. Once again it all comes down to what choices you want to make.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

5,336 posts, read 2,285,877 times
WalletHub, like other online sources, are good at getting attention and readability, but lousy at data integrity. But of course, many these days will believe anything online, so this inconvenient reality will just go over heads. There are also lots of stereotypes in this country that obviously need to be propped up and supported. Some financially depend on that LOL! Misinformation is a huge industry in this country.

Secondly, physical health isn't the only relevant "healthy" factor. There's also mental, emotional, social, spiritual, etc. health, to name a few. I've seen some very physically and outwardly fit people with tons of stress, anger, narrow-thinking, etc. that are unhealthy as any other attribute. And I've spent time around older people where the healthier-of-mind equalled more than the physical health aspect.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

21 posts, read 4,055 times
I will say for time and price, fast food is hard to beat. Also, we have healthy food in supermarkets here, and there are walmarts even in Lebanon Tennessee... Part of this does have to do with access, price, and time. But truth be told a lot has to do with our culture. My family in the midwest apply mayo to everything. Additionally, they have cheesy dishes constantly and drink cola at like every meal. I grew up pretty unhealthy and it wasn't until my mom started on the health craze that we started to not have fast food, or fried chicken and mac n cheese, on a regular basis. I do think there's a mixture of factors, culture and price being some of them. Regardless, Memphis and NOLA are hella unhealthy. My experience is that the same isn't true for Los Angeles or DC.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 8,327,727 times
Quote:
The South contains most unhealthy cities
Not shocking, we in the South are a bunch of fatties. Well, I'm not but everyone else is

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

3,204 posts, read 4,468,020 times
They don't call it comfort food for nothin'. I'd rather die with a few extra pound and a full belly smelling like fried chicken than a skinny ass butt, hungry and smelling like a bad batch of tofu.

Old Today, 08:06 AM

7,199 posts, read 14,275,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
They don't call it comfort food for nothin'. I'd rather die with a few extra pound and a full belly smelling like fried chicken than a skinny ass butt, hungry and smelling like a bad batch of tofu.
I've never eaten tofu in my life. I love fried chicken. But I eat it in moderation and I make sure to have healthy meals and fruits and vegetables that aren't fried or covered in lard and I walk places and I don't chug Mountain Dew or buy Big Gulps every day.

Old Today, 08:29 AM

If you wanna see fat... go on a cruise. Moooo.... lol

Old Today, 08:50 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,240,464 times
Seems to me that junk food is usually cheaper than healthy food. For example:

I bought some cotton candy grapes the other day that cost $2.39 a pound, and pound of potato chips for $1.99.

I paid $1.99 for a half gallon of 2% cow's milk and a 6 pack of Coke for $1.79.
Mootopia 2% milk (which is a better quality of milk) was $3.98 for a half gallon.

Seems to me the potato chips and the Cokes should be the "luxury" items instead of the grapes and the milk.

Old Today, 09:03 AM

Caveat Emptor still applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.