U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:03 AM

4,318 posts, read 5,587,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Seems to me that junk food is usually cheaper than healthy food. For example:

I bought some cotton candy grapes the other day that cost $2.39 a pound, and pound of potato chips for $1.99.

I paid $1.99 for a half gallon of 2% cow's milk and a 6 pack of Coke for $1.79.
Mootopia 2% milk (which is a better quality of milk) was $3.98 for a half gallon.

Seems to me the potato chips and the Cokes should be the "luxury" items instead of the grapes and the milk.
Definitely true.

Those cotton candy grapes, though, holy cow sugar bombs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:14 AM

996 posts, read 348,544 times
From what I have seen the average American gravitates toward unhealthy food. Even out here in the DC area the default options for work lunches and so forth tend to be stuff heavy in calories (even if bougie in branding). It makes sense as “good mood” food tends to be fatty or sugary, so it’s an easy crowd pleaser.

The thing is that cities like NY, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, DC, Austin etc are full of 21 to 49 year olds pursuing high status careers in the dating market. If you want to be dateable for a man or woman who is socioeconomically your peer in that class you need to be in shape. There’s no way around it. With many people never properly settling down the need to be physically attractive is a big factor even for people approaching middle age. But heck even once married and with kids, many people still want to showcase that they havent lost it and still belong. Its a class thing. Being fat isnt a result of poverty, being in shape is related to being wealthy.

Old Today, 09:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,421,461 times
As they used to explain to us in middle school, geography is important kiddos!

Old Today, 10:09 AM

2,906 posts, read 3,254,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Seems to me that junk food is usually cheaper than healthy food. For example:

I bought some cotton candy grapes the other day that cost $2.39 a pound, and pound of potato chips for $1.99.

I paid $1.99 for a half gallon of 2% cow's milk and a 6 pack of Coke for $1.79.
Mootopia 2% milk (which is a better quality of milk) was $3.98 for a half gallon.

Seems to me the potato chips and the Cokes should be the "luxury" items instead of the grapes and the milk.
But 2% milk isn't all that healthy- and why wouldn't a "designer" specialty food like cotton candy grapes be pricey? What's wrong with regular grapes?

Old Today, 10:13 AM

7,199 posts, read 14,275,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
But cotton candy grapes and 2% milk isn't really health food
Compared to a $2 bag of Doritos and a $1.50 bottle of Coke it is.

Old Today, 10:21 AM
Status: "South Carolina: real home of the confederacy" (set 16 days ago)

5,122 posts, read 3,150,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Definitely true.

Those cotton candy grapes, though, holy cow sugar bombs!!
Cotton candy grapes? Sounds awesome.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

1,321 posts, read 566,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Cotton candy grapes? Sounds awesome.
They really do taste like cotton candy, the first few at least. Not only that, theyíre like the old Fruit Stripes Gum where the flavor only lasts a few seconds. The previous poster is right about them being sugar bombs. I canít eat them like I do with red and black grapes.

Old Today, 10:45 AM

13,524 posts, read 5,160,595 times
Pretty much nonsense.

The Las Vegas Valley consists of four municipalities that are all intertwined and, for all practical purposes the same place. This is unincorporated Clark County, Las Vegas, Henderson and North Las Vegas. The rank of the three listed varies from 42nd to 159th. That is simply absurd. And the biggest municipality, unincorporated Clark County is not present.

Old Today, 11:28 AM

7,199 posts, read 14,275,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Pretty much nonsense.

The Las Vegas Valley consists of four municipalities that are all intertwined and, for all practical purposes the same place. This is unincorporated Clark County, Las Vegas, Henderson and North Las Vegas. The rank of the three listed varies from 42nd to 159th. That is simply absurd. And the biggest municipality, unincorporated Clark County is not present.
Here's my assumptions on how that works out. It has to do with demographics, economics, and geography. North Las Vegas is the poorest of the three. Las Vegas is the heart of the "urban" part of the Las Vegas Valley, and is itself home to some quite wealthy neighborhoods. Urban tend to be younger and bluer, and the city limits of LV are more urban than Henderson. Henderson is wealthy, but highly suburbanized and attracts tons of car-loving transplants.

Old Today, 11:34 AM

13,524 posts, read 5,160,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Here's my assumptions on how that works out. It has to do with demographics, economics, and geography. North Las Vegas is the poorest of the three. Las Vegas is the heart of the "urban" part of the Las Vegas Valley, and is itself home to some quite wealthy neighborhoods. Urban tend to be younger and bluer, and the city limits of LV are more urban than Henderson. Henderson is wealthy, but highly suburbanized and attracts tons of car-loving transplants.
Actually the powerful urban part of Las Vegas is the unincorporated county which includes the strip and many of the rich neighborhoods. None of the municipalities are close. And Henderson by almost any criteria would be expected to outscore both Las Vegas and NLV.

It might be that they used zip codes which would combine Las Vegas and unincorporated Clark County but that is then very misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.