Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Western states in their entirety that are developing too fast?
Yes there's many states developing too fast and there's not enough undisturbed places 29 37.66%
Most portions of the West developing at about the right, sensible pace 23 29.87%
There's many portions of the West that could be developing faster 25 32.47%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:12 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,040,830 times

Advertisements

Living in Colorado, I've heard frequently that the whole state's overrun and crowded to the brim, ruined from the Californian or XYZians moving in, and we need to put legislation in place to limit this tide. This same refrain seems to be repeated from people in other western states. But the more I explore, the more I'm convinced this is BS and the people that keep repeating this are too lazy to look up a new area to go explore, don't bother trying to commute at anytime besides peak hours, and expect some of the the most scenic areas in the world to somehow be devoid of people. I'll agree that almost all the national parks are overpacked during nice times of the year, but there's more than enough public land to go around and it's so easy to find other beautiful areas that look similar. Also, we're not going to run out of elk, moose, ponderosa pines, or trout due to development or people wandering around in their habitat IMO.

When you look at the area as a whole, essentially there's just slivers of the west that are overcrowded while the vast majority has few people out and about or living there. Even along I-70 west of Denver, one of the most crowded interstates, there's so many hiking trails 1-1.5 hours away that have basically no one on them despite being the classic Rocky Mountain scenery people come to see. Urban areas in the west frequently have problems keeping up with the incoming population, but that's a planning problem or a problem to that small specific location. The southern coast of California is very likely as full as it should be, but I don't believe the entire state of California is all the way full when there's still so many counties in the north and eastern part state that are very sparsely inhabited that have the potential be. The same thing is true of Colorado, the front range is full, but not the entire western half.

Water will invariably come up in this discussion, and very little is left that could easily be tapped, but we're not close to running out if we take water used for agriculture and use that for development consumption. And yes, while there's barren portions of the west that couldn't reasonably be inhabited, there's millions and millions of untapped acres that could be, excluding the desert portions.

So, what do you think, looking at the area in it's entirety, not focusing on a few metros, would you say this part of the US overpacked?

Last edited by Phil P; 09-16-2019 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,267,495 times
I agree.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:19 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,672,104 times
While Colorado isn't exactly the eastern seaboard, it is more crowded than I expected after exploring it some recently.
Kind of disappointed to be honest.
I still like the west better than the east, at least as far as being less crowded is concerned. I just wish it was even more wilderness-y.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
While Colorado isn't exactly the eastern seaboard, it is more crowded than I expected after exploring it some recently.
Kind of disappointed to be honest.
I still like the west better than the east, at least as far as being less crowded is concerned. I just wish it was even more wilderness-y.
I could see how you'd come away with that impression if you stayed on the I 70 corridor and spent your time in Summit County. But there's entire mountain ranges that are dedicated wilderness areas, and even in large swaths of the national forest areas, there's often so few people they're basically wilderness. For example, when I hiked one of the first 13ers available on I 70 (north side of Mt. Parnassus if you want to look it up), I ran into 2 people, saw a moose and a elk and the trails died as soon as you got above treeline. There's even more animals and less people further away. I don't know that more restricted access would have changed much. While many of the 14ers have grocery style check out line crowds, many 13ers or 12ers aren't even hiked enough to have a trail.

Last edited by Phil P; 09-16-2019 at 10:38 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM

381 posts, read 344,341 times
Denver is west?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,163,969 times
Still room for Limon and Yuma and Springfield to become new Las Vegases.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Denver is west?
Western US, yes by most definitions. It's where the mountains start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Still room for Limon and Yuma and Springfield to become new Las Vegases.
Limon counts as part of the basically non habitable portion . Yuma looks as sexy as Vegas though. I think I'd rather visit Yuma than Vegas...

Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 PM

8,754 posts, read 6,679,912 times
It's important to slow sprawl, if not stop it entirely. The coastal states have done this. The interior states mostly don't seem to care.

I'm a big fan of growth, but it should be mostly infill, and at minimum very tightly controlled if it's outward.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:31 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,855,473 times
Denver's population density, as of 2017, is 4,044 people per square mile.

Detroit, which has been emptying out for decades, has block after block with one or two occupied houses on them, and is about the farthest thing you could call from "crowded", still has a density of 4,878 people per square mile.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:42 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,753,037 times
80% of the US population lives east of Dallas. When you look at it like that, the West is significantly underpopulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.