U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 04:47 PM

200 posts, read 166,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. Amazing zoo you wouldn't expect in a small metro.

Also the Aquarium in Chattanooga.
Lol. The Omaha zoo, for years, has been ranked, nationally and world wide as, at minimum, a top 5 zoo in the world.. So regardless the “size” of the metro (Omaha is a 1 million population metro that I’d categorize as a mid-major rather than “small”) but whatever.

Given that, I don’t believe most people would think the Omaha zoo punches “above its weight” due to its well deserved national and world wide reputation. Most people are not surprised at how incredible this zoo is.

Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by Mighty Joe Young; 09-18-2019 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 05:54 PM

7,154 posts, read 6,396,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Lol. The Omaha zoo, for years, has been ranked, nationally and world wide as, at minimum, a top 5 zoo in the world.. So regardless the “size” of the metro (Omaha is a 1 million population metro that I’d categorize as a mid-major rather than “small”) but whatever.

Given that, I don’t believe most people would think the Omaha zoo punches “above its weight” due to its well deserved national and world wide reputation. Most people are not surprised at how incredible this zoo is.

Just my .02 cents.
The thread title is a bit misleading when you consider that the OP says this in the original post.

Quote:
I'm not asking which zoos are the BEST necessarily, but which were better than you'd expect given the size of the city
As a world class zoo Henry Doorly certainly sets the standard for punching at any weight. However, a city the size of Omaha having a zoo that renowned would fit the OP's question probably better than any other city in the country.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:02 PM

200 posts, read 166,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The thread title is a bit misleading when you consider that the OP says this in the original post.

As a world class zoo Henry Doorly certainly sets the standard for punching at any weight. However, a city the size of Omaha having a zoo that renowned would fit the OP's question probably better than any other city in the country.
I understand and appreciate your point. What I’m saying though, is most people are not surprised at all that the Omaha Zoo is as fantastic as it is. It’s world renowned. It’s kind of like saying I’m surprised the most famous horse race, The Kentucky Derby, is in Louisville, KY..

My point is, pretty much, everybody knows already. So it really isn’t a surprise to most people. Omaha’s Zoo, is the #1 tourist destination in the state of Nebraska. People from all over the world travel here to specifically visit the zoo and make a vacation of it.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:26 PM

127 posts, read 79,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC
I second this. It's actually my favorite zoo.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:30 AM

430 posts, read 152,189 times
National Aquarium in Baltimore
National Zoo in DC

Both aren't the biggest buy any means, but they are about as good as it gets for the respective niches

Old 09-19-2019, 04:19 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,449,445 times
The Peoria Zoo in Peoria, Il. Not bad at all!

Old 09-19-2019, 04:23 AM

6,341 posts, read 6,786,459 times
Milwaukee Zoo. It is a gem. And it may well be the standout of the three major zoos along the southwestern shores of Lake Michigan: Lincoln Park, Brookfield, and Milwaukee. Enough so that plenty of Chicagoans visit it as their zoo of choice.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:24 PM

20 posts, read 7,090 times
Ripley’s Aquarium in Gatlinburg, TN. Went for my birthday about 4 years ago, as I love penguins and wanted to do the penguin experiences (meet a penguin and get a personalized penguin painting... AKA you pick what colors the penguin’s foot stamps on the canvas). That made the trip AMAZING to me. And it wasn’t super crowded. We went to the Atlanta aquarium a few weeks later and it was disappointing due to the crowds, it was hard to see anything.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:20 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,757,029 times
The Rio Grande Zoo in Albuquerque is a gem and most who visit here are pleasantly surprised when they found out how nice it is. It just opened the new Penguin Chill exhibit this summer and it will now turn to building a special Africa exhibit. The zoo is part of the Albuquerque BioPark, which is the most-visited attraction in New Mexico. The BioPark also includes the Albuquerque Aquarium and Rio Grande Botanic Garden. The Rio Grande Botanic Garden is also very nice and visitors are always amazed at how beautiful it is. The aquarium is the only one that isn't exactly knock your socks off, but it is still very nice and for over two decades was the only aquarium in the Southwest.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:56 AM

3,948 posts, read 1,701,250 times
The Charleston (SC) Aquarium is incredible. The North Carolina Zoo near Greensboro is the largest walk-through zoo in the World. VERY underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or